I'm worried about Virginia Cannabis laws

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by Misanthropevet, May 26, 2022.

1. First off, props to Virginia for decriminalizing.

That being said, the idea of legal rec sales was sold to Virginian's an equity project, supposedly focusing on small growers.

As the state screws around and gets closer to the proposed 2024 legal sales date and are supposed to set actual commercial sales law during the January 2023 state congressional session, I am becoming increasingly worried.

It appears to me the large medical growers who operate the medical dispensaries like beyond hello, and a shitload of northern VA investment bankers seem to be in control of the process.

I've looked into a couple of state level cannabis lobbies, but many of them don't seem legit, or they don't seem to represent the interests of small independent growers, while I don't plan to commercially grow weed, I'm worried of a lot of small growers who actually care about their product getting swept under the giant grower rug.

Any advice on good lobby groups to support who may work specifically in Virginia, or ways in which I can try and influence this process beyond writing my legislators?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. I've loved that song since I first heard it watching Pump up the volume. Just wish I knew where to put any extra time and money I have towards small growers in my area to help them out. Right now I try to exclusively obtain my supply from small growers, and started growing myself to supply both my grandfathers, my brother and myself so they don't have to go get shitty overpriced weed from beyond hello.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I would not get overly involved in the cannabis market. Beyond the oversaturated market with prices dropping to levels lower than in the 80s, 90s, and so on, the biotechnology sector has, and will be continuing, to revolutionize production.
    I posted that song because it suits the subject. The tracks still exist, and you know which side you are on. As bankster barons rob their way to sick disproportionate amounts (ie. the top 10 richest men are worth more than the lowest 40% of humanity, which is about 3 billion people).
    Grow your own. Its why I'm here, to help others and to dishearten more and more corporate entities.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Fuck corporate cannabis.........same fuckers that locked me up for growing are now doing the same.
    Shitty product,over priced,unsafe and supports known shit seeds.
    Don't support it with your money or vote.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. It comes down to money, home growers aren't taxed. If most grew what money would there to be made. My town is 5 miles wide we have 5 or 6 dispensaries. Town of 30,000 maybe 10,000 use cannabis ( pure guesstimate ) need enough people not growing to insure there's plenty of business for over priced taxed weed, the company, city and state can profit off of. If not what's the point of legalization in their eyes they already make tons on schedule vl . New Mexico made 2 million the first weekend of sales and 22 million the first month of sales. I think medical is tax exempt I let my medical card go when I could grow recreationally so I'm not totally sure

6. I mean, I still have some hope for VA, earlier this year they didn't pass the bill that would have moved rec sales up to this fall (and the fine print was that only those 3 medical companies could sell rec while they figured out the laws for other growers) so thank they held that off.

For a state that was built off the exploitation of agricultural labor I'm hoping enough people can see that rec cannabis should be a boutique industry centered around legit small growers and businesses.

Its a long shot, but as the first state in the South to legalize, these fuckers ought to be setting the best example possible for all those poor people in NC, TN, WV and other bordering states who might one day finally get legalization too.

But at the same time we have our own congressmen blatantley disregarding the law, AND selling shit weed!
    Cannabis Store Co-owned By Top Virginia Senator Sells Mislabeled Products With Illegal THC Content, Media Investigation Finds

Assholes