I'm quitting cigs and i need advice.

Discussion in 'General' started by gdudeganja, Jan 16, 2009.

1. I;'m 21 and have been a pack a day smoker for 3 years. I;m gonna quit smoking but i need some advice on how to do it. does anyone here have any advice?

2. my parents tried quitting smoking many times. they cut back so much i never see them smoking anymore.

they would always say how they couldn't do things that they used to smoke when doing it...

yeah im not good at expressing myself over the computer but i'll give you an example..

my mom used to smoke a cigarettes while she would drink coffee in the morning. the only way she could stop smoking in the morning is to drink tea and not coffee.

i never fucked with cigarettes before, but i can only imagine how hard they are to quit. so good luck man

3. Try to limit how much you smoke, then over time you can stop all together. To be able to stop at once can be extremely difficult...Over the next month, try to not smoke more than 1 cigarette a week. Soon you will find yourself not craving them as much, thus making it a bit easier to kick it all together. It worked for me, but everyone isn't the same. Good luck, man. :hello:

4. Don't try quitting cold turkey. Always leave your cigarettes at home.

5. Advice: Smoke more weed, and gradually reduce the cigs. Cold turkey'll just leave ya fiendin

6. Heres my tips..ive been a smoker for a long time and lately ive gotten down to one smoke or half a smoke a day which isnt bad...

firstly...try to cut out as much caffine as possible..nicotine and caffine hit the same receptors in your brain so one makes you want the other..

and secondly...try something like nicotine gum...it doesn't take away your urge to smoke a cig but it definitley stops you from wanting to bite someones head off!
    and thirdly...don't quit quitting...if you screw up, just start again from the begining.

7. thats kinda drastic for a dude cutting back on a pack a day dont ya think, be more realistic...take baby steps, maybe one or two a day and then go on from there

8. I know you're getting a different answer from me, but don't ween yourself off of them. You have to quit cold turkey. Weening is the worst thing you can do, because it just makes it harder for your brain to cut them out.

It's all mental, think about it. You never wake up in the middle of the night with physical pangs.

Don't think you're losing something though, you are gaining in every aspect possible. It's all mental.

I recommend "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.

9. Keep yourself occupied whenever you feel the urge to smoke.

10. I've never tried to stop gradually. I tried to quit cold turkey and failed when I was stressed and around smokers. So I guess what I'm saying is cold turkey is really hard. Also, try not to be around people who are smoking if you can.

11. i was literally about to post this exact same thread, OP....im in the same exact situation as you...looking on for advice..

12. YES!!! Everything he said! ^^

I've recommended that book on here before, and I will recommend it to anyone who will listen. I know more people who have quit with the help of this book then every other method combined. It's less then $10 on amazon, it's very short, and he tells you to keep smoking while you read it. So even if you don't quit, you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

13. its all about slow and steady, Limit yourself to 5 cigs a day then slow down to 1; if you TRUELY want to quit you will, otherwise your fucked. Smoke alot of bud, A LOT of bud

also think of it like this, cigs are around 3-4 dollars a pack thats 1500 dollars a year MORE you can spend on bud, enjoy that free qp of medi

14. I quit in march of 2008. I was 21 and smoked about a pack a day since I was 17. My trick was making myself wait before I could smoke. I'd start off by waiting 15 min and having a cigarette. It helped me somewhat control the urges untill I could go almost a whole day without smoking. I really recomend making yourself wait. It doesn't seem so bad because you know that you can have another cigarette so its not the end of the world.
    Also try to make smoking uncomfortable. Try things like not smoke in your car, your house, garage ect. Stop smoking after meals. Only smoke a brand of cigarettes you hate. Try to make it inconvienent as possible. You can also try to exchange one bad habbit for another though I don't recomend it. Do not try to savor your last cigarette, you dont want to be remembering how nice and relaxing it was to smoke.

It really took me about 3 or 4 tries to quit. It took a combination of all of those for me to quit. Hopefully that helps you out man.

oh yeah.... be sure to warn everybody that you're going to be a complete dickhead for a month or so.

15. whoa. I don't even smoke cigs and I could only imagine how bad that would be for them. That's an insanely good idea. + rep

16. cold turkey man, it wont help any other way... itll just be procrastination. Just tell yourself enough is enough, and stop

17. There is a really good website www.quitnet.org there is alot of information and forums and such. My husband and I are trying to quit together, we are stopping smoking in the house and car, and just keep cutting down from there.

18. I smoked a pack a day for tens years and quit cold turkey. I bought a QP of mids and rolled many many joints, everytime I got the urge for a cig I smoked a joint. I was high for a month.

19. Nicorette and chew it all day.

20. Get some lsd or mushrooms, or dxm if you have to, and go into the trip with quitting cigs in your head the whole time.

Helped me taper off so much. I went from close to a pack a day to 2 smokes a day over night. Now I don't even really buy smokes at all anymore.