Im not sure if this is true or not

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Old School Smoker, Aug 31, 2013.

1. It's a complete exaggeration of something that is true. Colorado and Washington legalized recreational marijuana for adults last year, and just recently the Department of Justice issued a statement saying they will not combat the state rulings. This effectively means that in states where recreational marijuana is legal, the feds will not target people as long as they abide by state law.

This article makes it sound like the feds are legalizing across the board, which is completely untrue. In 48 out of 50 states, federal law reigns supreme and marijuana is illegal (except for medical purposes in medical states). And WA and CO shouldn't get cocky. The DOJ statement is not legally binding and can be reversed at any time.

2. Ok thank you for your reply. I thought thats what was going on....

3. We all live in the same country. Why should some states be allowed to smoke/grow it, yet I will be seen as a criminal..?

It's not fair. This is not the land of the free.

I want unobstructed access to medical marijuana, whether its from me growing my own, a good friend, or even a dispensary.

I truly want to be able to grow my own. I do not trust anyone with anything. This is the only way of knowing its truly organic. I have seen the worlds crooked ways :/

I use the herb for meditaion, relaxation, disease prevention, cancer prevention, pain management, calming the racing mind, and for some honest clean fun. It helps me focus on a massive level, which can be very beneficial to every day life. (it makes me SPANK ppl when playing starcraft lol)

peace and pot!

4. #5 Galaxy420, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
    you can take your post and add it to any natural substance that people utilize to maintain or obtain a healthy existence. if it is not chemically derived in a lab and all constituents controlled ( made money off of to recoup lab costs and fda approvals) then don't expect the (grow your own) mentality to hold sway. plus, lots of people are lazy and want to be regulated and told what they can,can't do. how many people do you actually know who are willing to take care of themselves through a natural outlet like stuff growing out of the dirt in their back yard, a few maybe but not many.

5. #6 wyzard, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
    The article actually has a point. Notice that the comments were coming from a organization championing the 10th Amendment. 
    The Constitution says that no state can make a law that contradicts a law made within to the Constitutional powers granted to the federal government . This is last portion is the key to it all. If the law banning cannabis, the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) is within the power of Congress (which I deny it is); then nothing can be done.

If however, the Department of Justice (assuming the courts agree) acknowledge that a state can make cannabis legal, then they are implying that the CSA is not legal (I agree). If this decision were ever to be read in court, then prohibition would end overnight. This would send the U.S. justice system into chaos.  For one thing: It would force the immediate release of all prisoners charged under the CSA. It would call Billions of dollars in enforcement budgets into question, and it would created millions of lawsuits within a few years.

This is why I think DoJ is taking this route. They are trying to ease into legalization, so as to avoid a catastrophic collapse.

I posted a call for thoughts on the legal theory here:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/legalization-activism/1243855-already-legal-could-true.html

6. This government along with the SC have an uncanny ability to dodge tricky constitutional issues. I don't believe for 1 second that the SC would take up a case that would possibly alter the status quo so dramatically. Look at the latest SC decision on gay marriage...they punted the ball back to a lower court. Look at Citizens United... in most peoples eyes that decision was political, not constitutional. There are many instances where a SC decision had little to do with what the average person believed the constitution spelled out quite clearly.

7. Agreed. the SC like many courts is terrified of the world changing implications of Constitutional rights in the new world of empowering technology, and ubiquitous knowledge. I see their point, but really shouldn't we face the uncertain future with courage and optimism in our most creative nature.