Im not racist, Im prejudice.

Discussion in 'General' started by KingPins, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Is it wrong to be prejudice? as long as you dont act on it?

Example... I have absolutely no problem with black people.. i have a lot of black friends and most of the time get along with minorities better than white people... BUT, im still prejudice.. There are certain times when I cant help but to stereotype people based on their actions.

Im just blazed and thinking.

Like I have no problem with people, but I still get upset when I see something like a group of black guys rob a bank or something.. or a mexican dude stealing from my store.. whatever it may be... but there is no actual HATE for the group of people.

anyone even understand what im saying?

2. Making a judgment on someone's actions isn't racist or prejudice, it is a judgment on their character.

Racism is seeing someone of a specific race, and saying, "Look at that (insert slur), bet he's going to (insert stereotype to go along with slur.)"

There's nothing wrong with judging people for making an ass of themselves, or for showing themselves to be of low morals, or just being plain stupid.

3. No, it isn't wrong to be prejudice, because in our subconscious, we all are prejudice. When we see someone we don't know we try to assume things about them. For example, if I see someone with a greek sweatshirt on, I'd assume they're in a sorority, even though they may just be wearing their significant other's sweatshirt. When I see someone with a mink coat, I assume that that person is rich. We all make assumptions when we see someone we don't know, because this gives us a way in which we should act towards a person, as instructed by our subconscious.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense to you all, I tried to interpret it as best as I could from being a psych minor.

4. IMO classicism is a bigger problem, its an issue in every country no matter what ethnicity makes up its population. And yea I feel you on the being slightly prejudiced part, everybody makes up generalizations for groups of people based on their life experiences.

5. It doesn't sound like your racist, but it sounds like you feel guilty about assuming the worst of people. Judging someone you don't know and linking them with something because of the way they look is cruel. However it happens and the best thing you can do like you said is don't act on it.

I'm not just talking simply about races here I'm talking about people in general. While it might be true that everyone does it to a certain extent, you can limit the amount that you do it. For example: When I see an old person driving, i gotta be honest, i get the fuck away from them. However, does that mean you gotta pull up next to that person and tell them to throw their fucking license away? No. Although that would be humorous

What im saying is that you can't stop thoughts from popping into your head, but the next time think logically about it. White people rob stores. Black people rob stores. Mexicans rob stores and so do French people. People commit crimes, anyone who walks into your store could cut your throat at any time, but you don't run and hide every time someone walks into the store. Even though if you did, you would be statistically safer. Statistics and assumptions don't mean shit, and neither do stereotypes

6. not feeling guilty, just stoned. hehe.

yeah and its not just with race.. its with any characteristics.. like certain girls at work, ill just assume they are whores.. i mean they probably are, but i have no actual proof.

7. Everyone prejudges whether they realize it or not. Just as long as you are aware that you are pre-judging, and not allowing race to become a factor, I think its normal. I believe in the world that we live in today, its human nature to pre-judge situations, people, places.

8. i think its not right...

it comes to the old saying... Dont judge a book by its cover.

9. This may be slightly off subject... but with the technicalities of prejudice, racism, and what have you - I thought I'd comment on stereotypes....

I realize that stereotyping in general is not a good thing.

Yes.

But you see.... I don't feel we would even have stereotypes if at least a large percent of them were not true.

Think of it this way - where would they get the stereotypes in the first place, if it didn't occur fairly often?

I'm not talking about racial stereotypes either...

Any stereotypes.

So I don't feel that bad about stereotypes of any kind... Towards myself, or others. We all know they aren't true in every case....

But what I'm saying is that there at least has to be some factual basis for the stereotype to even come about in the first place.

10. Everyone's racist.

11. I hate all races equally.

12. Exactly. Everyone's racist, prejudiced, prejudging, whatever. We can't help it. Our brains naturally do it without us even really having to think at all. Just based on all your life experiences, things you heard, read, saw, whatever. You seriously can't tell me that you don't generalize and stereotype in the back of your mind as soon as you meet them, based on their physical appearance, race being a major factor. It's just how we are.

Sorry if that didn't make sense. I'm really baked. :smoke:

[​IMG]

13. Nicely put. For sure, everyone is prejudice to some degree.

I would agree, everybody has to pre judge situations in our lives. If you don't judge situations I would think they are somewhat naive.

Simply not true. Everyone is prejudice to some degree but we are all not racists.

Haha, that's what I said to get out of jury duty (Simpsons?)

14. not everyones racist.

no other race is special or cooler.

but being extra nice to somone or being very choosy abour ur words jsut becasue some one is a diffrent race, is also racist.

in my civics class way back we only talked about how "they" the black people are being opressed or somthing. I wanted to ask some of the people in there why they try so hard to dress like that or idolize it.

we put too much time into that. way to much energy, stop talking about it, its annoying and if evreythings equal, like IQ AND abilitys then its all fair too day.

the race card is played way too much, its over, if anyones opressed by anyone its ourselfs supressing ourselfs.

just dont make such a big damn deal about it

15. I agree 100% with you bro. That goes for my own race, as well as other races.

16. Obviously these are things worth getting upset over. The question is, do you get more upset when the bank robbers are black than if they were white? Do you get more pissed when a mexican steals from your store as opposed to when anyone else does? If the answer to these questions is yes, then I'd say yea you're alittle racist, but not that much so.

17. black people dont get sunburned as easily as pale skinned, red haired white people.

I couldn't agree with you more.
    Live and let live.

18. oh ok so a person of another race should get a job over me even tho im more qualified and am smarter(if that was the case).

im just saying southern cali turned into gangs and ritch people(theres cool people in the mix) but mostly its seems superfical. what happend to love and fun in the sun?

same with norcal alot of "wiggers" up there

19. ?

sunburn somehow turns into an affirmative action debate?

20. Amen to this dude.