I'm new to this, where do I begin?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by greenbong, Nov 12, 2012.

1. So I've been smoking weed for around a year now, and have recently increased my intake to about 0.5grams a day. I'm really tired of paying for weed, and having to deal with dodgy drug dealers, and I have now decided that I want to grow my own weed. Living in South Africa, the climate is relatively warm, but also very wet at the same time, with regular rain. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to grow my own weed in my garden? At this stage, I don't want it to be anything to complex, for example I wont be using any fertiliser or wont be growing the plants under lights. What I'm planning to do, is take my seeds, put them in cotton wool until they sprout shoots, and then chuck them into the soil and water them regularly. Will this work? Any thoughts, ideas or tips?

2. [quote name='"greenbong"']So I've been smoking weed for around a year now, and have recently increased my intake to about 0.5grams a day. I'm really tired of paying for weed, and having to deal with dodgy drug dealers, and I have now decided that I want to grow my own weed. Living in South Africa, the climate is relatively warm, but also very wet at the same time, with regular rain. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to grow my own weed in my garden? At this stage, I don't want it to be anything to complex, for example I wont be using any fertiliser or wont be growing the plants under lights. What I'm planning to do, is take my seeds, put them in cotton wool until they sprout shoots, and then chuck them into the soil and water them regularly. Will this work? Any thoughts, ideas or tips?

That'll work. But with constant rains I would worry about mold during flowering, anyway you can build a makeshift green house?? Pretty much just cover the plant with clear plastic so it will be protected from the elements but still benefit from being outside...?

3. I will try and do that... How long will it take before I can actually smoke that plant?

4. [quote name='"greenbong"']

I will try and do that... How long will it take before I can actually smoke that plant?[/quote]

Depends, outdoor is different than indoors. In afraid I can't give you a set time frame, i can give you a round about of 2-6 months, I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. You begin with a seed...

I don't know what the South African daylight time schedule is, but find out that first. Outdoor, Ideally, you want a few months of veg and then have it flower. Here in the States we plant outside usually May and by the end of Sept. to October flowering is complete. Check your local times...

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-...ica-absolute-beginner-i-need-my-medicine.html

I just found this of someone growing in South Africa. Assuming his seasonal times are correct I'd say plant immediately. It will grow outside until february then the light cycle will start changing and begin flowering. Will likely be done some time in April most likely. I'd get it planted soon though assuming those seasons are correct. You would know better than me. I presume they are since you are asking this question at the beginning of the season. lol.

Anyway, for rain, you may consider building some sort or covering. I don't know what your situation is, but a wooden structure with some sort of cloth on top to block rain during the flowering times could work. If you happen to not have those things available I"m sure you could use small trees, and shaded grass, mud, really anything. Something easily removable will likely be best though. Something that you can take off like a cloth, and full sun gets to the plants, yet if it rains hard you can cover them relatively easily if the structure is built.

As far as your germination method, it likely will work. I've never used cotton, but I assume it would work fine as long as it's kept moist. I'd give it a few weeks indoors though, especially if the temps are too high there right now. Let it get some good, established roots. 1 CFL bulb would do the trick (for a few plants) until it's ready to be moved.

If you don't want to build anything you could try putting see through plastic cups over the buds when it rains. May not work, but might be better than letting them get soaked. I hear that's the worst part is that many times it can weigh down the branch making it snap due to the rain soaking the bud. Also mold becomes an obvious issue as well. Best of luck.

6. So how long do you think I should keep the seed in the cotton wool, before putting it in the ground?

7. [quote name='"greenbong"']So how long do you think I should keep the seed in the cotton wool, before putting it in the ground?[/quote]

Until you see roots, not just 1 dinky root but a few roots poking out.

8. Okay, and should I put the cotton wool in a dish, and leave it in the sun?

9. [quote name='"greenbong"']Okay, and should I put the cotton wool in a dish, and leave it in the sun?[/quote]

I put it in a Tupperware container with rocks about an inch or 2 on the bottom, that will give room for your roots to grow before transplant. If your gonna leave it in the sun I would put a humidity dome on it to help keep the rock wool from drying out

10. dont use cotton, it will most likely break off the tap root when you try to pry your seed out of it. just soak the seeds in water in a dark place for a day and then put them right into only very lightly fertilized soil.

11. [quote name='"baumeister"']dont use cotton, it will most likely break off the tap root when you try to pry your seed out of it. just soak the seeds in water in a dark place for a day and then put them right into only very lightly fertilized soil.[/quote]

Who prays seeds out of rock wool?? The point of the rock wool is to germinate indoors so he can successfully transplant outdoors given the characteristics he mentioned of his situation.

12. he wrote cotton, not rock wool. I assumed he was planning on using it like other people use tissue paper for germination, putting multiple seeds on one piece and seperating them later. if you try anything like that with cotton, youre almost cetainly gonna kill your sprouts, because the fibers are much stronger and will break or cut into the tap root.

13. [quote name='"baumeister"']

he wrote cotton, not rock wool. I assumed he was planning on using it like other people use tissue paper for germination, putting multiple seeds on one piece and seperating them later. if you try anything like that with cotton, youre almost cetainly gonna kill your sprouts, because the fibers are much stronger and will break or cut into the tap root.[/quote]

Right, I agree with you. I was confused when you said "when you try to pry the seed out" but yes, using cotton the way you explained will not work.