I'm Moving To California To Become A Glass Blower... Yeah, For Real.

Discussion in 'General' started by trikky, Feb 9, 2009.

1. One of the best stories I ever heard from my prof. was about this japanese master potter. Now the japanese don't fuck around with their crafts. It is serious business. Anyway, this guy was doing demonstrations in the public. He had been a potter for 50 years. So with all these people around, he threw a chunk of clay on the wheel and started throwing small teacups like they would use for the cemonies. Not much bigger than a shot glass really... He threw about half a dozen of them and put them on the stand in front of his wheel. They were perfect and identical. Someone in the crowd ask him "how long did it take you learn to make thoce cups?" He responded by saying "50 years." The person didn't understand and asked him what he meant. "I've learned more since yesterday."

2. Word, I'll definitely need friends. IK've only even been to California once, and that was when I was 12.
    Cool story, man. I am also in my 3rd ceramics class in college this semester, and I have recently began to discuss the Japanese and their potting techniques with my professor. I found it interesting that that are generally more concerned with the inner shape than the outer shape.

3. It's a wonderful place, especially this area. You'll love it, I'm sure.

4. I know this is really off topic...but on the first page you said you've been living on your own since 16!

How the hell is that even possible?
    And if you choose to respond to this question please be as detailed as possible because I really want to start living on my own I just don't know what to do.

5. I don't really have a handbook. I ...erm... PLANTED a LOT OF TREES.

6. haha, gotcha

7. Yup, living off the trees.

8. Live by the tree, die by the tree.

9. wow man.. dustin ey? dude consider yourself very lucky, you're going to be surrounded by some of the best the u.s. has to offer. I also started a apprenticeship last year.. it honestly has been one of the most amazing things i've ever done. be prepared to get addicted.. if you get the itch, you'll be blowing one way or another for the rest of your life.

You doing the school? or an actual apprenticeship?

10. Wow, really cool to meet someone else who is apprenticing. Where exactly you at? If it's in Cali, we need to kick it sometime.

I am going to be apprenticing. It costs nothing, but I make nothing for doing it. Until I can sell my own work, that is.

11. Congrats and safe journies! :hello:

12. :wave: first customer, right here...

Seriously, when you've got something you want to sell, drop me a line, I'd be very intrested.

13. Damn Trikky, for a forum moderator you got a pretty hefty fan base :p

Good luck with the glassblowing thing man, sounds like a blast.

14. good luck man have a great time

15. Wow that is awesome! Good luck to you!

16. Yea.. I'll def be on your list of customers.. Hit me up when you got something in production

17. Best of luck to you!

18. Awesome! Good luck man, and have fun!

19. Bad ass! Good luck man I hope that works out perfectly, sounds like a dream come true :D

20. Thanks so much for the support, everyone. It really does mean a lot that you all care so much. I will definitely let people know when I take orders.

You guys are the shit!