I'm missing something and need help ! Drying and curing process

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Cheef Ghost, Apr 15, 2018.

1. i followed instructions and still got mold on some colas and smell and taste (flavor ) still not desirable!! I just finished 10 ladies which were GSC in a flood and drain table using hydroton clay pebbles as a medium and using GH nutes . I flushed for 3-4 days and then wholes plant hung at 60 degrees 60% leaving all the leaves even the larger fan leaves . After 14 days I trimmed them and jarred them in wide mouth mason jars with boveda humidity control packs 55%.. I then opened the jars still for 30 min a day the 1st week and 15 min a day the second , and some nugs are the prettiest I've ever seen but however they don't contain a good flavor or a super strong smell ? What happened I've yet to figure out ?

Attached Files:

2. I find proper curing the most difficult skill to master.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. True that! The grow is the easy part, the dry and cure will determine the final product!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hydro never smells as much as soil so that could be one misinterpretation.. with that said it’s a learning process you’ll get the hang of it. Curing doesn’t do anything to the potency just makes it smoother and more pleasant smelling. You’ll get some aromas into it, I just chopped a plant that had a horrible chlorophyll grass smell and been curing it for a few days, still not “loud” but certainly not a bad smell just a little earthy. It’s not uncommon for there to be no fruity mouth watering smell right after harvest that’s a chemical process curing induces to make it that much better, dispos and good weed guys have weed that has probably been cured for a month under the eyes of some of the best growers so it may be stressful and discouraging but you got weed don’t trip it’ll only get better, keep it in those jars. Next time I wouldn’t spend the time to do that slow of a dry 5-7 days is plenty, test moisture with stems or with your grinder, if it’s too wet it shreds like lettuce. If it’s a little too wet off the main branches you can always lose moisture by the day by keeping them open a few hours, the grass smell will go away and you’ll get more and more fruity aromas like it is on the crop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. The dry trim made it dry way slower and you probably had some fat stems making t take longer. Buck them down more next time to make it dry faster. I can usually get it to dry under a week doing that. In a rush 4 days chop bud from bud then 2 more... try some different methods and see what’s the fastest and easiest for you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 55% humidity is too low and too dry. I prefer 62% - 65%. That's the cure zone.

• Like Like x 3
  7. #7 CBDBurner, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
    I hang dry 65 degrees and about 60 humidity I don’t set this environment, room is like that all the time so I luck out.
    I strip large fan leaves and hang buds for 4-7 days till stems bend on small buds and snap on large buds.
    Dry trim removing all leaves with small scissors and tweezers digging in the buds to remove as much as I can. This takes hours and a magnifier. When I jar them I make sure the buds are similar size in the jars.
    Burp everyday for 30 min for 2 weeks and move buds around in jar. Then I burp for 15 min a day for 2 weeks then 15 min a day 1x a week for a month. And then I add the 62% humidity pk.
    Buds come out dense with a strong smell that will fill up a room, smooth smoke, and tasting like mint.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Like Mickfoster said, humidity is too low in curing. Once it dips below 55% curing stops, and will not restart no matter how high your humidity goes up again. Grab the 62% boveda packs

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. True about the humidity packs. In the time being put a decent size fan leaf in there to raise humidity as needed that should help sweat some out and technically “cure” them faster.

10. I learned this trick from years of cigars. So if u have any weed that is drying but still wet. Get a Tupperware and put wet in with over dried. They dry will absorb moisture from they wet. Seal if for a couple of days and burn 2 to 3 times a day [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nice humidor Papa

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thank you yes it's a seventy-five-year-old lock Corona leather-wrapped humidor that came off of a bar in San Francisco. My friend was a liquor distributor and he gave it to me years ago. What I like about using it for drying is that my humidity is very low here runs around 15% so I can crack this thing with like a ChapStick either standing up or on its side and control the time it takes to dry sometimes I even cure in here

13. I will need to hang dry inside my grow tent with the lights off to use the carbon filter for smell reduction. The entire grow (6 weeks into flower) I had humidity from 35% to 50%. I used a humidifier and that was all I could get depending on the day. Am I going to destroy my first ever harvest by drying in that low humidity?

14. I like a slow cool dry, but big fans imo need to come off. They can block airflow to the flowers and lock in spots of moisture. I use big jars, and leave some big stems after dry trim. I try to error on the damp side, and use drying screens and stem removal to dial it in. Sometimes it takes a few trips in and out of the jar to nail it down to 60 to 65% rh.

15. Really reccomend u get some of these for ur jars. Only way to know if u can seal without worrying about mold. Weed will cure between 55-65%rh [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dang 14 days dry time.. I live in a valley and humidity runs around 34% so I’m quick to dry then jar up after 2-3 days. (They hang in empty closet with small fan blowing outside edges of door) It’s more work checking jars every 8-12 hours but I follow this algorithm from growweedeasy.com IMG_0522.JPG
    Takes about a 2 weeks when humidity starts leveling out. My first cure tasted like shit too dude, just keep at it and you’ll figure out what works best. Also if you have hydroponics store in your local area they are always good resources when it comes to local practice! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. MsBudz you have had success drying in a 35% humidity? I fear mine will be about that for my drying process. I was guessing 3 to 4 days based on forums and reading. Do you have any tips for low humidity drying?

Thanks for the post either way.

18. I cure in less than 20% rh. U can use Tupperware or a cigar humidor works great. U can crack it with a wedge like a chapstick[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Love your humidor Papa. I will end up curing in mason jars with 62% Boveda packs assuming my humidity will start me below that when I first jar them up. My concern is the hang drying process itself. I have fought low humidity my entire grow. I have heard that drying too quickly can lead to harsh smoke, and that 3 to 4 days falls under the "too quickly" category. I plan to cut and hang whole branches after wet trimming the fan and sugar leaves off. I have ZERO experience so even THAT may be a huge mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yah I hang dry for about 3 days than I start slowing down the process. It is a tedious deal especially the last few days. If I leave out 12 hours too long I miss the zone. I use CHESTER copperpot dry and cure way.

• Like Like x 1