I'm in poor shape, going to try to change that.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Dalton!, Jul 27, 2010.

1. I was kinda chubby pre-17, i was about 190lbs of chubbiness at 5'11". That changed when I went on a 100 mile hike over two weeks in New Mexico, with an 80 pound backpack on my back (boy scouts haha). I guess it was the crappy backpacking food and exercise, but when I came back I was at 160. All of that was in 07

Honestly, I've done very little physical activity since then, I eat pretty much whatever I want, and usually eat a lot. Fast foods and fatty foods, but I don't gain weight currently my weight stays around 155, which is good compared to the 120 pounds of skin and bones I was during a 4 month long ecstasy binge in winter/spring of 09.

About to move into an apartment with a fitness room and such so I figure since I'm paying for it I maswell use it, I'm pretty skinny as it is so just trying to build some muscle which I don't have a lot of, and get in shape.

About to turn 20, starting college for EMS and going to join the military when I'm done. I can't run for long without getting winded, part of it is my breathing but it's mostly because I don't exercise...

How should I start off? Should I change my diet or is it fine? I don't gain weight and kinda pig out on food, and junk food is definitely a part of my life, I dunno how many callories I eat a day, some days i don't eat a lot, some days I'll get a tripple whopper with bacon and cheese large fries and a large chocolate shake and so on..

I'm pretty clueless just looking for some tips!

2. Why don't you try running or walking everyday or thrice a week. It's a good start.

3. It's a good thing that you are trying to change. Good luck!

4. What the hell is all this talk about being out of "shape"? Isn't "round" a shape?

OK, so maybe it's not a preferred shape, but it's still a shape. :D

Just kidding OP, good for you for taking the initiative. Motivation to keep it going is tough, but stick with it.

I'm also in a quest to fine-tune my shape into more of a preferred one. Trying to work my endurance up enough to start tackling the P90X workout. Started out walking, and now gotten back into jogging a bit to get cardio back up. Don't forget stretching is important too. Yoga can be a workout all by itself.

5. Yes, a change of diet would be great! Your weight is not increasing but what you may not be aware of is that you may slowly be losing muscle and gaining fat. Scale looks the same but the measuring tape may show the difference. Aside from that, too much cholesterol is bad, so is too much salt and too much sugar.

I eat a very Spartan diet: lean protein, complex carbohydrates, unsaturated fats. My calories are mapped out so that I eat the same everyday.

Good place to get started on diet is to first figure out your daily caloric needs. I use the Harris Benedict formula to figure out how many calories per day I need to maintain current body weight and then adjust the number to suit my goals.

I just started the Run/Walk/Run program and already see improvements. Here is some info from that site:

Walk Breaks?
    \t Most runners will record significantly faster times when they take \t walk breaks because they don't slow down at the end of a long run. \t Thousands of time-goal-oriented veterans have improved by 10, 20, \t 30 minutes and more in marathons by taking walk breaks early and \t often in their goal races. You can easily spot these folks. They're \t the ones who are picking up speed during the last two to six miles \t when everyone else is slowing down. \t
    The mental benefit: breaking 26 miles into segments, which you know you can do Even sub-three hour marathoners continue to take their walk breaks to the end. One of them explained it this way: "Instead of thinking at 20 miles I had six more gut-wrenching miles to go, I was saying to myself one more mile until my break.' Even when it was tough, I always felt I could go one more mile.

Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

Why do walk breaks work?
    By using muscles in different ways from the beginning, your legs keep their bounce as they conserve resources. When a muscle group, such as your calf, is used continuously step by step, it fatigues relatively soon. The weak areas get overused and force you to slow down later or scream at you in pain afterward. By shifting back and forth between walking and running muscles, you distribute the workload among a variety of muscles, increasing your overall performance capacity. For veteran marathoners, this is often the difference between achieving a time goal or not.

Walk breaks will significantly speed up recovery because there \t is less damage to repair. The early walk breaks erase fatigue, and \t the later walk breaks will reduce or eliminate overuse muscle breakdown. \t
    The earlier you take the walk breaks, the more they help you! \t
    \t To receive maximum benefit, you must start the walk breaks before \t you feel any fatigue, in the first mile. If you wait until you feel \t the need for a walk break, you've already reduced your potential \t performance. \t

6. :hello: This is really funny.