I'm (hopefully) getting a pizza delivery job. What should I expect?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sublime, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Just wondering because I don't want to get sucked into something that sounds cool but isn't. First, I'm very introverted by nature and don't like dealing with people that much and this isn't really that bad when you consider that I've worked retail for 4 years. I hate being bored and I like being busy. I don't mind driving if I can listen to music in my car.

However, I'm not the best at directions... I don't exactly know this area that well (my city I do, but it's in a different city, it's not very far, only 10 to 15 minutes, just don't go that way much). I worry because I remember hearing something about pizza delivery being more dangerous than you might think? Like getting robbed or mugged over some pizza or worse. And what are some troubles that I should expect?

And have there been times where you can't find a place to get your car parked? What do you do? (Maybe some of these questions would be answered at the job, but I wouldn't want to do that and not like the job, because I currently already have a job but I really don't like it much but I have to have it since I'm in college, I have to pay bills and keep food in my stomach. So I can't afford to quit this job to end up hating pizza delivery. It sounds great, but I just want to know the downsides too to compare how I'd like that job vs this job now. That'd be a huge help!)

2. Not good at directions and bad with people. Well GPS can solve the direction issue. Bad people skills you can expect the unemployment line soon. I worked at Pizza Hut in high school before everyone had gps

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lots of work and not a lot of money
    had a few friends do it
    If you are a good people person you can get some nice tips
    Oh and than wear and tear on your wheels to boot

• Like Like x 1
  4. Our youth , we didn't teach 'em shit

• Like Like x 4
  5. The money is good. The guy who referred me to it mentioned that they pay for mileage, they pay you minimum wage and on top of that you get 1.25 or 1.50 each delivery on top of tips. It sounds like money wise, it's already better than what I make which is 7.75 and I hate my job.

I'm mostly worried about my car. I don't want to damage my car, I plan on keeping it for a long time and I'm not an aggressive driver. The directions thing will improve as I work there, but the people thing is I'm not a bad person or not someone with an attitude, don't get it mixed up, and I don't hate people. I consider myself to be a very nice and probably shy person. I'm not mean by any means, nor do I ever have issues with customers in my 4 years of retail. I've had lots of good word on me from many people and was even going to be the manager at this job I worked at before we closed. It's just - talking to people isn't my *ideal* thing. It's not my favorite thing to do. So minimal people talking is why I think this job would be better. Make more sense?

6. Give it a shot
    worse case scenario you don't like it and leave .
    Just be careful with doing deliveries in shady areas
    they (pizza guys ) do get robbed if so just give them what ever they want don't try to be the tough guy it isn't worth it.
    People kill ya for a pizza now a days

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 Sublime, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    I would gladly give over any pizzas to a guy threatening me. Not worth losing my head over. But what I do worry is someone just doing it no questions asked. I was told the area was nice but I really don't know for sure.

8. I delivered pizzas at several pizza places like dominos, papa johns, etc. certain pizza places will be more lucrative than others. Places that have sit inside eating tend to be slower in deliveries. Places like dominos where pizza is cheap will have a lot of deliveries. Each delivery you get "mileage" that pays for gas and wear and tear on your car. You should expect to drive in an eight hour shift anywhere from 80-150 miles. You'll deliver anywhere from 1-4 houses per outing. You will get lost and the first three months will suck. GPS will help but the time to input the info and the data will cost you. The longer you take, the less money you'll make.

Safety is an issue but just give them the money. What happens is that the end of the delivery, you are supposed to put the money in a locked box that acts like your cash till. In reality, it's going to be very stressful in the busy dinner time and you'll forget or don't care. You'll get a lot of cash built up and then you'll get robbed. You need to drop the money after every delivery or you will get fired if this happens. Normally guys don't get hurt. They just want the cash. No one I know has had that happen.

Your car will break down. It is VERY hard on a car to deliver part time and full time is even worse. Serious delivery drivers have a second car for just delivery so if it breaks down, they still have a job. They should allow you time to fix your car but it's not much.

As far as working with the public, most your time is in the car. I loved it because I would smoke pot all day while I worked. Pizza chains like dominos almost all workers are potheads. You get off work very late at night and most hang out after and get stoned. Usually laid back people and I really found it to be a fun job. When you need a moment you can just get in your car and drive. Call a friend and say my boss fucking sucks and by the time you're delivering the pizza and have to see the boss again, there's been a good 30-45 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. If your worried about your car buy a cheap junker. Delivery drivers put a ton of stop and go driving on cars and add tons miles. alot of wear and tear on a vehicle . Plus the pizza smell will permeate the interior. 2 liter might explode, spilled food, etc. I've always driven full size trucks since I was 16. When I delivered at Pizza Hut I bought a couple pos small cars to destroy and save on gas $. Delivery drivers cars take a beating.

Voice activated gps like most phones don't waste time. Push button, say address. Doesn't get any faster

• Like Like x 2
  10. Don't let those pizzas ruin your life.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I'm probably gonna be at Domino's. I'd only be able to work part time, as I am a college student with 17 credits this semester and hardly any free time. Mostly weekends. And I'm used to being a direction boy, I'm good with street names rather than landmarks. These guys print out directions so I think I'll be okay.

Really? I have a Honda Civic. I can't afford for my car to break down on me in all reality. I don't have two cars, so this could be an issue. But I ride every day at least 20 - 50 miles a day depending on what I have going on already because of college. I've taken very well care of this car and I got it used and the Car fax on it was one of the most extensive and cared for cars I've seen used. All major components have been replaced and oil changes and other maintenance was constantly used for this car and the interior says a lot about a car, there were no stains or anything on the inside. It's at 180k miles now, but as I said, most all major parts were replaced at 100k miles. See this car means a lot to me because it's personally decked out. I have bunches of stickers slapped on the back of it, I personally hooked up this sub system I have in my car, I personally put in a new stereo, and replaced all of my factory speakers with better speakers, front and back. So I'd hate to just wear down the life of my car. Do you really think it'll be that bad?

Right, I feel like the time would pass very quickly working as a delivery boy and that's exactly what I'd love. I hate when time drags on and on and on at work. Which is exactly why I like to stay busy. And driving, time can fly like nothing when you're blasting music. But at the same time, you're right, those first 3 months will suck, I also have anxiety so going into new places I've never been before at first gets me kind of tensed up by nature, and I can't really focus on music. So I guess the first couple months will kinda suck until I get used to the area and know my way around

12. I delivered pizzas for 4 years or so when I was in my early 20's and I think I probably went thru six cars? Since I've quit 10+ years ago I've only had to replace one and the rest were upgrades.

It's a great job for school and if they only use you for weekends you can make great money per hour. I only had one car and I used ten year old Honda civics because parts are cheap and they can take abuse. This car you love though will be ruined by the time you're done.

I worked 25-30 hrs a week at dominos before the economy fell and would get $75-120 per night if you can hustle deliveries right. You'll learn how to pick deliveries because you'll know which is the best tipping neighborhoods, best short cuts, etc. stuff like that.

If you have to commute a long ways from your home and school and need to have a car, this isn't a job for you. It's gonna get destroyed.

13. Yikes, that's not good to hear at all. This honda is ironically about 10 years old too. 2005 Honda. You mentioned the smell and spills - well I shouldn't be spilling a 1 liter that hasn't been opened, right? I don't see that happening, unless the bottle itself leaks. And the smell - can't I just get one of those nice air fresheners and that will cover up the scent of pizza? I don't want to get a crap car just to use for this job.

What if I'm only going to be delivering for 2 years? Do you think my Honda could take it, or do you think it would be too much? I think it would be a nice job because not only do I deal minimally with people, but it'd help my current financial situation out a lot. I get paid biweekly which is good and bad but mostly bad. I prefer to get paid weekly, but better yet, daily (weekends only) + a paycheck.

14. It will probably need some minor work depending. You said it's at 180k already so I would expect it to break down at least once. You need to be prepared for that.

Have you thought of delivering for places that have their own vehicles like some of the Asian restaurant or maybe flower delivery? You won't get tips with flowers but the Asian places you can make really good tips. The cars they provide suck and need brakes but you're not paying for those. If I was gonna do it again I would target places with their own car fleet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. That's a good idea. Although, I'm not too sure of any places that provide cars around here for delivery. I know of chinese deliveries, but I don't know if they provide cars.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Why should they when you can burn yours up because you're desperate for a job? Heheh there's two here that do and they're never hiring. Delivery full time can be more lucrative than one thinks so there's lots of folks who do it for years. There's a few I know who are still doing it and I delivered in the early 2000's. See them driving around in their cars with the car toppers. Use a towel so the magnets don't fuck your paint job up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Completely understand that, that's why I figured as much. I wouldn't expect one to be around here. Maybe in a nice big city, but not here.

18. 180,000 for a Honda civic ain't shit for the mechanicals of the car. The bodies give out but those little motors and tranny keep right on ticking

An air freshener isn't going to cover up the scent of pizza. Temporarily but That shit locks into your cars interior. I had separate clothes I wore to Pizza Hut because they always smelled like greasey Pizza kitchen and eventually it makes its way into your car. You would think pizza is a good smell and it is at 1st. Eventually it's gross. As far as 2 liters spilling. It happens more then you think. I had several leak. 1 exploded like a bomb. I was soaked. Pop dripping from the headliner. Never did get it all out of the car. Windows always stuck especially when it was cold. Stained up the interior. On cold mornings the window would haze over from the sticky pop and it took many many window cleanings before it stopped. Never did get it out of the inside of the doors. So the windows stuck from pop, the car stunk from pizza and everything was stained from pop and grease the day I junked it.

But that's nothing compared to the wear and tear on a delivery car. You might as well commit your car to a work car if you start delivering.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ur gonna be doing a lot of work and making min wage but that being said its not a bad gig. Not for everyone tho so just give it an honest shot and don't feel bad if it ain't for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. Like others have said - you'll get inter-galactic mileage on your car.

• Like Like x 1