Im going to let my kids swear

Discussion in 'General' started by Mackerowenie, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Swearing is such a great form of self expression; if it's not being used to put someone down then what's the big fucking deal. Why would someone get so offended from the sound or sight of a word. Don't be such a little girl and get over yourself. Honestly

If I say "fuck it" it's probably because I'm pissed off or getting irritated at something. Saying that will turn heads in a public setting most likely... HOWEVER if I were to say something along the lines of "screw it" no one would care. Both phrases hold the same meaning! Why does one spark emotion. People need to understand that words only hold the meaning we give them. Meanings change over time.

My black cousin understands this concept. I can jokingly call him my "*****" and he understands I'm using it in a different way than how the word originated.. Modern day use of that specific word has pretty much flipped, it's almost an endearing term now.

This is why I will be open with my kids and tell them they can use swear words if they feel it's necessary. They will respect said words and most likely wont be one of the little punks running around swearing up a storm thinking he's a badass. Kids do it to rebel.

Same rules apply to sex education. Don't preach abstinence, it's not realistic and is a waste of breath. You've been a teen-ager at some point. HORMONES. Teachers need to take the time to talk about sex in school and how to participate responsibly and safely.

I just wish this philosophy of realistic teaching was more wide-spread.

2. You sound like a bitter person. Let me ask you: why are you so angry? Does using words that cause negative emotion make you feel better?

3. I feel the same way about how swearing a a way of expression. I can't even listen to censored music because I feel the musician could not accurately express their feelings/ideas.

4. [quote name='"Easy Going"']You sound like a bitter person. Let me ask you: why are you so angry? Does using words that cause negative emotion make you feel better?[/quote]

Positive AND negative emotion needs to be expressed. Some people do this through music, art, clothing, language, etc... So if anyone displays any negative emotion that means they are a bitter person?

Swear words aren't always negative anyways fool. If I found 20 bucks on the ground I would probably say " holy shit! "

Now does that make me a bitter person?

5. The only issue I have with your plan is that we're talking about kids here. They don't think the same way we do. If you just let your kid have as much sugar as they want, chances are they won't use it responsibly and they'll have diabetes by 16. I personally think the same would go for foul language- let them do it, and they'll do it as much as possible. Especially when the school they go to starts telling them not to, they'll just say "but my parents said it was OK!"

Don't get me wrong, I personally swear like a fucking sailor, but kids need restraint- you can't just let them make their own decisions (at least not until they're old enough to understand repercussions).

But I'm not here to judge and I'm happy to see more people wanting to allow children freedom. Some parents just smother their kids too much and the kids end up living at home until age 40.

6. Yes. Negative emotions are usually associated with anger,sadness, depression, craziness. If you say 'holy shit!' after finding money.. you are not expressing negative emotion. You are the fool. :wave:

7. I completely agree, I find it ridiculous that people get offended from hearing "bad" words. I mean, it's just a fucking word. Don't get your panties up in a bunch.

However, I really hope you give this privilege to them once they reach a mature age; immature children will think swearing is funny.

8. [quote name='"Easy Going"']

Yes. Negative emotions are usually associated with anger,sadness, depression, craziness. If you say 'holy shit!' after finding money.. you are not expressing negative emotion. You are the fool. :wave:[/quote]

You didn't even address the first paragraph. Just because someone displays some sort of negative emotion it doesn't mean they can be classified as a bitter person. It's natural for humans to have and display these emotions. I would say someone would be bitter if they displayed too many of a certain negative emotion.

You don't know my life, so it's stupid for you to try and say I'm a bitter person based off a couple blocks of text from a forum.

I'm done feeding you bad troll.

9. #9 Jumbo, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
    who gives a fuck. let the fucker be.

lol

i would let the little fuckers curse too, i cursed, my dad cursed, my whole fucking family curses. look how good we turned out

lol but for real, cursing is cursing, its just easier to express shit with the right words. What else can you say when you are fucking mad?

poopyyyy

also i hate when someone says please dont say that. freedom of speech, stanky. i dont give 2 shits what you say....

10. [quote name='"thestonedstoner"']I completely agree, I find it ridiculous that people get offended from hearing "bad" words. I mean, it's just a fucking word. Don't get your panties up in a bunch.

However, I really hope you give this privilege to them once they reach a mature age; immature children will think swearing is funny.[/quote]

True, immature children will think swearing is funny, but that's because they have been raised to think its a negative thing, so they rebel for shots and giggles. My children will be molded from day 1 to understand that swear words aren't a big deal and wont get a kick out of saying them . It would be just like any other word in the dictionary to them. So these words won't be funny to them and they would have no reason to go around yelling them for no reason. They'll be more respectful because they will understand if used improperly you could really hurt someones feelings.

11. I will let my son swear when he's mature enough to use the words properly.
    For now while he's so young i just say there big people words and he respects that lol.

12. [quote name='"InitialToke93"']I will let my son swear when he's mature enough to use the words properly.
    For now while he's so young i just say there big people words and he respects that lol.[/quote]

What about a daughter?

13. But swearing doesn't give you diabetes. I swear all the time and it doesnt hurt me or anyone else, I see no problem with letting go your kid curse, they'll start doing it eventually anyway.

14. this guy is right. if i say shit to my cousins, they crack up like its a joke.

i say shit to my brother, the same age as my cousins. he doesn't react. it's a word... and he knows this. lol :smoke:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZkb4TPI-Lo[/ame]

15. If i ever have a daughter then it'll be the same.

16. [quote name='"Mackerowenie"']

You didn't even address the first paragraph. Just because someone displays some sort of negative emotion it doesn't mean they can be classified as a bitter person. It's natural for humans to have and display these emotions. I would say someone would be bitter if they displayed too many of a certain negative emotion.

You don't know my life, so it's stupid for you to try and say I'm a bitter person based off a couple blocks of text from a forum.

I'm done feeding you bad troll.[/quote]

I just asked why you were an angry person and you blew off on me. And then you say you are not bitter... Makes me wonder. Call me a troll but thats fine with me. You are the one living a sad and angry life. That will bring you down... Not me.
    :smoke:

17. My only problem with letting children swear is that they don't necessarily understand the connotations attached to a word. They only repeat it in the context that they've heard it and thus cannot differentiate between use of the word for self-expression or anger/hatred.

A perfect example of connotation. You may be able to call your cousin "n****" without him being angry about it because you're family and you're not using it to put him down, but I know, and you know, that you wouldn't go up at just any black person and call them "your n****." You know this word carries a dark and terrible connotation that is meant to degrade the black community. Even if it's being used today in different context, one can't simply erase the hatred and negativity attached with the word. This is true of all negative and taboo words. We may use them in a different context where the use of such words are acceptable, but outside of the context is still a realm of negativity.

Children don't know the difference yet. They don't know who would be offended, who wouldn't, when it's appropriate, and when it's not. Just because you don't believe words need to be powerful, doesn't mean that they're not. Just by saying them a lot won't make their meanings disappear. Words can still be hateful, rude, and destructive. There is no reason to make your children grow up thinking it's acceptable to use such language just because you don't mind it.

18. Damn bitch ass shit fuck

...cunt :eek:

19. And these are the kinds of mature posts that possible future parents are typing. Im sure your parents would be happy with your thoughts.

Would your kid read this post and be proud of his dad?

20. Are you stupid?

Your much too immature to even think about having kids.