I'm going to attempt to dual boot Vista and OSX..tips?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Nathan, Aug 21, 2009.

1. I successfully did it. Vista and OS X 10.5.7

2. I'm looking foward to it. I don't have a vista install disk so how do I repair the bootloader (MBR).

3. Gparted is what I used
    GParted -- Welcome
    Just burn it onto a CD, boot from it, set the vista partition flags to include boot, and you're golden

4. Ok thanks man, I'll post back here and let you know how it went.

5. Yea bro no problem. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I've done the process about 15 times. Don't expect for it to work the first few times. It takes a lot of tweaking.

6. Ok, I wont start doin it till like 9:00 or so though.

7. fuck vista dual boot win 7 instead its much better imo

8. I really dislike Windows 7. Not stable enough and too many incompatibility errors.

9. Ok so far so good. It says 5 mins left to install, I'll post back if it worked and/or if I need help with the bootloader.

10. Hell yea bro! I'm stoked to have other people here that are into shit like this. I felt alone lol. Nothin better than tokin' up and hacking your computer

11. Ok it asks me if I want to transfer my info from another mac, I said no and it asks me again wtf.

12. Oh shit I ran into that problem too... Let me find the fix... Hold on

13. 1. Run single user mode using the -s flag while booting
    2. Mount the file system when you boot
    3. Change the root password using the command "passwd root"
    4. Touch (create) the .AppleSetupDone file by typing "touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone"

14. #15 Nathan, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    Okk.. Wait can you explain that to me lol.

15. Is it a terminal I need?

16. Boot, hit F8 then type -s to enter the single user mode and type

/sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    passwd root
    touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    reboot

17. Whenever I do the passwd root command it says "command not found". I'm on a ubuntu live cd right now BTW.

18. And when I try to make the setup file I get device is write locked a few diffrent times.

19. #20 Nathan, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    Ok forget those 2 posts. And sorry for double posting. I got OSX running and I made an account. Sound works by some miricle. My resolution is very low and I have no option to change it and I can't get the internet to work (wired). I really have no clue where to look for the drivers so if you could for me that would be great. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530S.