I'm Emo

Discussion in 'General' started by Rasta_Man, May 18, 2006.

1. I find it disturbing that YOU would generalize in such a way, while accusing us of the same. I think you ought to shut your mouth before you say something you'll regret, friend.

Oh, and just because I listen to classic rock doesn't immediately make me a hippy who won't live in the present. Has it occurred to you that some people might just enjoy the music, and not the lifestyle (which is far from dead by the way)?

2. haha I doubt you read much of what I said. I was ranting about you all just as much as your so called "emo kids"...

3. Shut me the fuck up then, "friend." I was correcting a ton of people that clearly did not know what they were talking about. And as for classic rock, I'm fine with it, but if you are really into music you should not limit yourself to something that quit evolving decades ago. I know way too many moronic kids that go "man, there is no good music around today... nothing like classic rock. they were so much more talented," which couldn't be farther from the truth. the kids are just ignorant of the talent around today. haha I never should have brought up music on a stoners' forum. i should've known better, but even if one kid actually reads what I said then it's worth it to pull one person away from the false information they are force fed from today's pop culture mass media.

I wasn't generalizing. We all know those groups of people exist, and I know kids exist like the ones you all were discussing. I was just correcting you on the "emo" label, and the fact that there are other kids who dress similarly that are into entirely different genres of music and interests. This site is not exactly the best place to go to find people to talk to about music though.

4. Perhaps Reading Comprehension 101 is in order for you?

5. no? you clearly said that I was "ranting about emo kids"... which was really not at all what I was doing.

6. Meh my mistake. Sounded like it was directed towards my post...

7. it was. I edited what you quoted, because at first I thought you were bourbon again. apparently I wasn't that perceptive for that first 60 seconds, because I thought you were him. :p you may read my last post above and become angsty again. =P

I think I'm about done with this thread though. there is no point in arguing about things.

8. idk, TFH...I think there are plenty of people on here who know good music...if you wanted to discuss emo music, then you really should've started your own thread or something how did you think people would react, the thread was about bashing the emo movement... personally I am not on your side really either but I used to listen to some of that real emo stuff like when I was in middle school lol...I guess I just grew out of it because the music really was garbage IMHO...I never ever would wear tight pants and discuss fall out boy whilst smoking gah what a buzzkill that would be I got to have good beats rap, classic rock, anything good.... I honestly would rather listen to country/western over emo, and I don't like country/western. It's too fucking whiny and untalented imo of course...emo music is like poison to my ears

9. emo IS music. that's why I was correcting. and... fall out boy? give me a fucking break. you just proved that you have no idea what you are talking about. you really didn't read a thing i said or are just very unknowledgeable about music. that is pure pop... fall out boy and similar bands are the boy bands of today with a new look. not even slightly related to the real genre... at all.... I can't believe you'd even make that post after. wow.

10. I'm not talking about true emo's I'm talking about poser emo's. Since after all, all references to emo's in this thread is to this specific kind. Sorry, didn't know i had to clearify so much when it was the topic of discussion.

I said the exact same things about the poser Gothic kids. Because if you know anything about the Gothic subculture, the same grip you had about these poser emo kids, is the same thing i was saying about the poser gothic kids.

So yes, we are in agreeance here, you just didn't fully draw the parallel that I was starting for you.

Poser emo listen to:
    Fall Out Boy

Real emo listen to:
    one of those bands you listed

Poser Goth listen to:
    Marilyn Manson

Real goth listen to:
    Bauhaus

I'm agreeing that these trendy people in the subculture listen to music that isn't even technically part of the subculture. Fall Out Boy as you said is more pop/punk while the other bands you listed are purely emo. Marilyn Manson is an industrial, Bauhaus is a goth. So, then since you changed your post, I'm sticking by my Reading Comprehension 101 should reserve a space for you next semester.

11. of course emo is music...we're talking about emo culture as in pop culture...the music you are talking about is not really associated with the emo movement...it's dominated at least in popularity and sales by bands like fall out boy...I used to listen to less mainstream emo music and what I was saying is I think pretty much ALL of it is crap...feel free to prove me wrong if it was good I think people would be listening to it though lol...but instead teenie boppers listen to bands like fall out boy just because it is catchy and everyone else is ignoring emo music altogether as far as I know not because it is some diamond in the rough imo it isn't anything worth discussing...

12. you are trying to bullshit your way out of saying fall out boy was "real emo"... claiming you "used to listen to it in middle school" and actually know something about it when it was pretty clear you don't. it's even more obvious when you don't name anything you were into specifically. middle school? haha... I seriously doubt a kid 13 or under would be into any music that underground... even I wouldn't claim something like that.

and what kind of a shitty attitude is "if it was good i think people would be listening to it though?" ...So, according to you, anything that is popular and on radio or television is good, right? give me a break. that is a TERRIBLE defense. the popularity of music has absolutely nothing to do with the talent behind it, or else you wouldn't be hearing bland, generic "alternative" rock on the radio and simplistic club rap with unintelligent lyrics all over mtv. you put up such a weak fight...

I prefer creative and complex music with intelligent, well-written lyrics (if there are vocals)... but that's just me.

edit: if you guys think the post I made about the true emo genre indicates that is the only type of music I am into, you're dead wrong. I am into a huge variety of music. post-rock/instrumental, thrash, grind, folk, indie hip hop, indie rock, trip-hop, idm, ambient, electronic, dance music, etc. I am hugely involved in music and that's partially why I am more passionate about what I'm talking about than some of you.

13. haha could you an emo police officer, or fireman, or like president...HAHA emos

14. like ive said before:

"you're so emo i could puke"

15. hahahaha thats the funniest thing ive heard all day.

this video really seems to piss emo people off and i think its pretty funny cause it seems like alot of them are like "i dont care what anybody thinks. i just dress like this and act like this because i want to" and then when somebody does somethin like that it really gets to them

you can definately tell who the emo posters are in this thread

oh god. i cant imagine the emo therapists

16. Yeah, but your fads were just as bad. I don't know what age you are, but it doesn't matter, every era had it's stuff that everyone would as soon forget :p. Disco, the 80s in general, tight pants. Hell, some of the hair metal bands of yesteryear are girlier than the emo kids today.

I don't care for the emo scene. The old type of emo was pretty bitchin, I know a few people who are still that way and they're chill as fuck* (not the half-goth, self pity shit of today). I have to say though, emo chicks are teh hotness. I'd bang about any chick from SuicideGirls.com.

Now, I know most emo guys aren't gay. But let me tell you something for all the emo guys on this forum: when non-emo people see you walking down the street all fagged up, this is the image that pops in our head about you:

[​IMG]

And my final thought is this: Emo is conformity. Pop-emo kids dress they way they do because their peers do. Nothing says "tool" like dressing just like your friends.
    [ * The old emo kids are the ones that (if they have a "style" at all) wear sweaters, read though provoking books, and like different types of music. I haven't seen many people like this since pop-emo became "cool", I suppose because the old-type emo people want to distance themselves from the pop-emo label, but that's just a guess. ]

• Like Like x 1

17. but dude, its just the way things go, Look back like 7 years ago when Fall Out Boy wasnt big at all, I went to visit my sister at school in ohio and saw them perform at a party, they were tight back then. Now not so much. and who wasnt a fan of "beautiful people'' back in the day. It just really sucks when people sell out for some fucking scene kids.

come on, Cheer up emo kids.

18. first off Emo's are bitches, just because, there just copieing shit. i dont like it one bit. but not gonna rant. just tell a story.

There was once a HOOTTT girl named lydia, she dated a guy named matt. matt was emo, Then came along Dan, and Tim. Dan started talking to lydia, and started sleeping with her, and she wouldnt date dan, because of matt. so one day Tim comes over to Dan's when lydia is there. Tim calls matt. Lydia talks to matt, and tells him he is a loser and is dating Dan now. Matt Now dates a girl with 4 different unnatural hair colors.

Now the moral of the story, if you want a girlfriend with lots of cool haircolors, turn emo.

wow, gay story. sorry lol

19. sounds like lydia likes to fuck a bunch of fags if you ask me

20. Thats just not something you can flat out say. Did you have older siblings? Most of the music i began listening to was because of my older sister and brother and older cousins as well. I got dookie (the greenday CD) for my birthday in 1994 from my older sister, would you say greenday was a mainstream band back then, or even mainstream enough for a 8 year old kid to be listening to? I have the original CD in my cd case right now, before parental advisory was a mandatory label, if you go buy the CD today it has it on it, just thought i would throw that in there. So i dont think thats really fair to say, but i understand what you are saying.