im doin something wrong plz help

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by gre123123, Jul 7, 2010.

1. i dont have pictures yet, but its pretty easy problem. i dried one of my plants. and when i originally cut it, harvested it, the flowers looked beautiful to me with nice puffy calyx's and everything. color was great and i was hopeful..After a few days of drying, the buds do not look NEARLY as good.
    this might sound weird, but towards the very bottom of the nugs, there is a calyx or two that's trichromes look almost brown. the calyx is not brown, just the triches on it. that only happened at the bottom of the nugs. The rest of the nugs were "better" but not great. they had that hay smell, and the color is darker green than when i cut it-it was nice light green at first.
    Anyone know what i did wrong?

2. The hay smell won't go away until you cure it in a jar. The brown trichs are actually an amber color. Means your crop was at a good point for harvest.

Buds never look as good dried as they did when on the plant. It's the difference between something dead and something alive ;)

3. Yes dont sweat it man, your on the right track, buds do look a lot different after drying, a nice big fat cola will dry into a shrivilled up piece of poop, 1/3 of what it was, loss of weight and fullness is very normal. As for the Amber color thats what you want it to be, that is the sign that they are ripe, ready for harvest. Post the pics its nice to see buds, buds buds everywhere!

Hay smell, boy this one sucks, you can have the sticky icky sticking up your grow room, cut it, dry it and it will smell like hay, tastes like it too. Well curing will take that away and its the only way to get the rich full stinky smell back. I have a hard time pulling off a full cure, Im lucky if i get two weeks before im into it. Sucks because I never get to the point where i get those aromas back and end up with bland smelling and tasting weed, but the hay smell is gone and I get high, real high and thats the point. Some day I hope to get my crap together and do longer cures, 4 weeks is my goal and I believe that would be just the time for those aromas to return too.

Your golden man, just keep those plants growing and have fun toking your free buds, even hay smelling.

4. !00% correct here:D

5. wow, well i guess u guys are right..I was kind-of hoping there was something i did wrong, so if i fixed it then my other plant i could preserve that nice-looking flowers..
    well i will try to keep this next plant a little better than the first but ill put up some piccs of the b4 and after and see what is up. thx!

6. here is one of the "before" pictures, when its freshly picked. this is when it looks good, at least decent to me. I will get a pics and show the "after" and u will see how it looks somewhat less good

Attached Files:

7. They look nice here! What did you grow with, CFL's?

8. well to be honest, it was an outdoor grow. I have never tried indoors(low on money). The weather here is usually bad(rainy alot, cloudy alot) but this year it has been much better weather.
    those are pics of freshly picked buds, small ones, but i will get pics of some after they dry. The LOOKS are worse after they dry-but i am hoping the potency wont change alot.

9. The potency should get better as you cure. It allows some chemical reactions to take place that make it better. I just got done spraying lacquer for 9 hours, so my mind is so shot right now :(

10. i dont know what spraying lacquer is but lmao

11. Lacquer headache/high sux. Dead brain cells. Low on money? Home depot has 300wt clf $16. Get one, start your grow. Next week get another, ect. All you really need is 3-4. It doesn't add any more to your power bill than a couple NORMAL bulbs. Cheap, cool, and easy!!!

12. THC becomes active as moisture is removed thus the reason why you can eat a fresh bud or smoke a fresh bud 9if it lights lol) and not get high and then if you dry it you get an okay high but moisture is still trapt in the centre of the buds/colas so its not to its full potential and thats where the curing process comes it to slowly draw the moisture from the center of the bud out untill the entire bud is dry inside and out and thats when the real nice aromas, tastes and potency shine.

13. Removing the water is a necessary step, but not simply the reason why potency increases.

That would be a process called Decarboxylation.

Heating works, and so does a long slow dry. Heating will boil off terpenoids and flavenoids, often responsible for the pleasent smell, so a slow cure is the best way to get maximum potency and flavor.

I've seen a vast improvement in my harvests that have cured for at least 4 weeks.

14. thanks every body. its getting better as it cures. the only thing that wont get better is the darkness wont go away but when i harvest my other plants i will dry it better and not let it get as dark in the first place

15. You'll really be amazed after three months plus. It just gets better and better.

16. I can only hope I get to three month cures, dam I just toke too much, if I had the supply to stock pile my harvests, its so hard to buy it when you have tokeable stuff and it does the trick or more, its hard to wait that full 4+ weeks when your a medical user and need it to function thats all.

Man 3 months I wish!