I'm confused, why is it so hard to get original seeds?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by jpowers, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Ok, say I go and buy the 18 pack of regular Black Widow seeds from Mr. Nice. I plant them, take a male and a female from the bunch and have them mate, I get 100% original 1995 cannabis cup black widow seeds, am I right? So why don't all seed banks who are selling knockoff white (black) widows do this and sell the original real deal 95 winner? I don't get it, am I missing something?

2. Where do you think their white widows come from?

3. cause some folks are too lazy to do homework.

kinda like you asking about Black Widow? Like how if You had used Google, You would know that most breeders got their widow stock ( Male and Female clones) from Shanti when He was working for Arjan.

the true breeders don't worry about who has their genetics cause they know it can not be duplicated 100% by another. Case in point, look at all the different Trainwrecks. There has to be a dozen "cuts", all supposedly from the same mother...

Wharf

4. Ya I know everyone got their widows from Shanti, just don't understand why the original Black Widow has blackish leaves but all the other White Widows sold at seed banks don't look the same, do growing methods change the appearance, genetics, potency?

5. It's not growing methods. When you cross a black widow and a black widow even form the same pack you are not going to get the same exact plant as what your parent stock is. Each bean is different and thus each off spring will be different. Some plant even with years of good breeding will have different phenos. These breeders have put a great deal of time into their selection process. Probably why you have a ton of white widow strains.

6. as mentioned, even within a carefully stabilized & back crossed strain, you're going to get different phenos. cheese is REALLY just a pheno of skunk #1 for example. plants have as much variability as you see in humans.

not just that, but the longer you inbreed a strain, the more you get "genetic waning". eventually, your genetics just get tired whether you're breeding or cloning and NEW genetics need to be crossed in for the "hybrid vigor".

cloning will give you the closest thing to "the same plant you started with", but whether you keep a clone mother 10 years or make copies of copies, eventually you'll get genetic drift and have a strain that starts reverting to it's original dominant hemp traits just like the way you see brightly colored & patterned gold fish revert to their natural pale green carp traits when you breed those.

7. wow, thanks for all the info guys, I had no idea.

8. #8 SkunkPatronus, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
    You should pick up a book at look at store on marijuana breeding they make them now, it's really much more complex than that. Marijuana has genotypes for colour green vs purple, pinnate vs webbed, polyploidy vs femal, tall vs short, early vs late, high thc vs low thc, acclimatized vs not acclimatized, hardy vs whiney, maturation speed vs slow to finish, tap root vs diffuse, branching habits, resin tenacity, trichome type, persistence of aromatics(taste), plant size, yeild, calyx size, disease and pest resistance, cannabinoid profile, and these are all dominant vs recessive and have to 'fixed' into the plant. Assuming you 'fix' the offspring of two specific plants, and sll these seeds to the public, they grow true and have a remarkable structure, they breed 'true' and you take two of their seeds and cross them, they won't because of all of the recessive traits that they didn't show but do carry. There are ratio's of trait specificity that you can plot a course on, in favor of a desirable outcome, but most folks make a hybrid and call themselves breeders...

To 'fix' one trait, 2 plants of 'complete dominance of genes' *assumed* are selected, you have 16 possible f1 genotype combinations of just these two traits you want to fix of many, that will form 4 f2's...but these are just the dominant ones, the recessive leap out and bite you when you least expect it. Each trait carries the same 16 possible f2 combinations, including all the recessive hidden ones that you don't see and end up with. All depends on what is in the genotype of p1 and it's more complicated than you buy seeds and crossing them expecting the same as the parents...