I'm an alcoholic

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by nowandthen, Aug 5, 2018.

1. I'm an alcoholic. A functioning one.

I think the only thing harder for me to stomach than coming to that realization, is that it was my mom who forced me to it. I mean I could have had that knocked into me in a much worse way. But.. it wouldn't have had to be her who found out first.

She's offered to go to AA meetings with me. I have typed a message out saying yes. But I'm just so scared to send it. That action is gonna cause a waterfall of lashback, both positive and negative. They say the positive will outweigh the negative. That is why people do it, right?

Idk what I'm looking for here.

I think I want some other perspectives to reenforce my half-baked decision to go through with this.

If that wasn't a clearly sent signal? Suppose it's just an all out good idea to make apparent my intentions.

It's insane to think about how many details are left out of communication because of missing background support. I want to explain more, but it just feels like a waste of time.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. I just spent some time rereading that message. But I sent it. Idk the last time I've made a decision that gave me so much anxiety.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. What age are u man

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. 27

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah i think ur making the right choice by getting some help...i started drinkin when i was 14-15 by the time i was 16-17 i was full on drinker im 37 now n still drink but nothin like i did...only reason i was lucky is that my whole life ive been able to do damn near anything n stop in blink of a eye...but help urself bro n follow thru with getting help even if u need to weed out friends thats gonna hold u back ull thank me later...ur still young and can work.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Man get some help for it 2 guys in my area have died due to being alcoholics it's been very sad to see one was a close friend and 32 the other guy was safe age as me they went way to early left behind children and family's just try man what have you got to loose?

• Like Like x 2
  7. The people who don't know about it. :/

I'm gonna go tomorrow though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Try keep it a secret then an get help maybe I dunno but if you try get help least a a step in right direction who cares if people find out fuck them but getting help will only work if you want help

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I applaud you for admitting you need help and wanting to get it. You gotta step out on faith that the people who say they love and care about you will be supportive.

• Like Like x 2
  10. It helps to understand that alcohol is and always has been a con, right up there with tobacco, pharmaceuticals and some other government-supported economic blocs. It is a toxic poison and a recognized carcinogen. But the government cares more about tax revenue and protecting special interests. That's why for example, alcohol is legal and pot is banned. It's simple, government-sponsored economics. Don't be one of the fools they depend on to line their pockets.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I dont know of you'll see this but I hope you're getting help. It will suck at first but the outcome and clarity will be worth it.

/hugs

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Yo,

Speaking from first hand experience.

If it's not your way to put something down when it's time. Like the drink.

Then you need to surround yourself with people that have figured out how to do it. I can say though AA is against any use of ANY substances so GC will most likely be one of the old people places and things you wont need anymore

Anyway, the first step is admitting it. Easily the most difficult one. Second, you have to want a better life for yourself, period. Can't do it for anyone else.

Peace, love and good luck buddy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. My company is an online webportal for rehabs and recovery centers WITH a placement service that's 100% free for patients (the service is free, you gotta pay for your own rehab or recovery stay). - Which I know is somewhat ironic because I'm still a cannabis patient, and even still drink, but we're officially not a sober company, we just work with treatment centers...I digress.

I'm not linking in public, but if you or ANYONE wants get treatment help for alcohol or drug addiction PM me and I'll be happy to point you to our site and offer as many other resources as I can.

No shit.

I used to think that addiction wasn't a disease, but after being in this industry and doing a lot more research I definitely do believe that it's a disease of the brain. NOT everyone has it, which also meets the criteria of a disease. For example, I have never felt the need for recovery or rehab or even AA meetings, because I know I can and HAVE stopped using all drugs for years. I didn't drink alcohol for over a decade from 2001 to well past 2014. I only started having adult beverages once in a while recently because I was given a clean bill of health frm my doctor. I drink sparingly now, not even averaging once a week.

From March of 2016 for an entire year I abstained from smoking weed or doing any recreational drugs. I needed a tolerance break and I needed the clarity to determine how my life was going to go forward after the failure of my marriage.

Again I digress.

Functioning alcoholism is still alcoholism, and eventually you won't be able to function anymore.

So again, if you need help, and this is an open invitiation to anyone who struggles with addiction, please let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Get your butt to AA even if you have to go with your mom to get started. I did in my 30s and tho it took almost a year before I quit some guy got up and told MY story. Lasted three years, went back to school for 3 years to get a diploma in chemistry and in my last year started messing with booze again.

Off and on over the years wasting most of my life on that crap. Every crisis in my life had it's roots in booze. Car wrecks, relationship wrecks and so many more.

Severe depression for the last 40 years stemming from a near fatal hammer attack in my early 20s that started because both me and the huge bastard that hammered the shit out of my head were both drunk.

Did lots of other drugs along the way but the only one that screwed up my life was good old legal booze.

Quit that shit now while you're young enough to still have a life!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. I just went to my first one. My mom came along for support. Turns out an old co-worker of hers goes to this one. So that made it easier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. I use to be a hardcore drinker as well but stopped after my body started to reject the alcohol it’s funny what changes you’ll see in your health and thinking that seemed normal but unhealthy after not drinking for awhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KUDOS for breathing through the anxiety... conscious breathing does help... from my experience the anxiety comes from putting down the crutches so to speak and trying to walk without "assistance" of whatever it is i thought i was dependent on...

I've been a moderate drinker for decades with amounts and frequency varying to degrees of "challenges" that show up along the way in life... One thing for sure is that we are creatures of HABIT and often what we think may be more of a chemical dependency is actually a matter of blindly going through the motions without being conscious of wtf we are doing... next thing we know is we are looking back at what we did with a buzz, still again...

Regardless if it's beer or booze, there is a habit of doing it... mine tends to be before & during dinner... 2 or 3 drinks.... sometimes a couple at lunch... but when i decide to break (if not pause) the habit, for sure i have to have something to replace the beer or booze... Could be drinking Cokes which i don't normally do or instead of tequila and lime in water, just have it w/out the tequila... lime has a nice tangy bite to it... Another thing i like is natural 100% cranberry juice you can find it in some better stores without sugar or water... this stuff is too strong for me straight so i dilute in water, sometimes add a squeeze of lime... has a kick or bite but no intoxication (other than clarity of mind and feeling good for having abstained & still being on the wagon)...

Guilt is involved for some, they beat themselves up if they fall off the wagon... and be it food or drink addiction guilt can be a driving force underlying as well as that is the reward if we do slip up... seems odd but the experts will confirm this...

Never been to AA but went to Alanon a couple of times decades ago... this was when i was living with a GF who was dependent on prescription tranquilizers (before she met me, not because of it... LOL ).... she was also drinking beer and smoking weed... during that period of my life i didn't want to smoke or drink much but it seemed too easy as we enabled each other so to speak...

I remember one testimony from a guy.... "I can't believe how much more time i have and how much i get done now sober"... but i think he may have been a steadier heavier drinker than some of us...

Anyway all the best for success in the future!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. man I was going thru it as well. thankfully for me i was able to pull thru. just keep you're head up and know how bad you want sobriety!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. T
    Hanks for sharing hey u have taken the 1st step in the 12 step program step 1 is admitting your an alcoholic and powerless over alc9hol. Get some help go to a program trust me they work u just have to put the time n effort in dont keep shit bottled up n share with people. Trust me im an alcoholic always will be even though i have not touched a drop in over 3 years. If u go to a.a. make the right friends get phone numbers of other members so when u have the drinking urge pick up the phone n have them help u . I use to be a misserable alcoholic bastard lol now lifes good hey im smiling.

20. I have been to two meetings so far. They're pretty eye opening. I don't have a sponsor yet but there's a guy who is an old friend of my mom's that was at one so we've been talking.

I was petrified to tell my gf but I feel silly now. She's been nothing but supportive and it feels good. She has told me before she thinks I have a problem. And she's definitely not the first girlfriend to tell me that.

• Like Like x 4