Im About To Work My First 8 Hour Shift Ever, Will It Be Hard To Get Through?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dillinger, May 23, 2013.

1. Most people do 8 hours every day, M-F. It's not some amazingly difficult feat. Grit your teeth, and welcome to the rat race.

2. If i can stay up for 2 days straight writing (With neccesary breaks) you should be able to do this and enjoy yourself! 

3. 8 Hour shifts aint bad at all. I have accustomed myself to constant work though, the biggest advice I can give is try and not sit down and keep yourself busy. Hard to do I guess at a convenience store,  but whenever I worked long shifts I would make sure I was always about doing stuff and keeping myself busy that way I wouldn't have time to look at a clock. 

Nothing like toking up after a long days work though. Just kick back on the couch and light a blunt and pass it around with your friends, probably my favorite time of the day.

4. 8 hours aint shit....now 12 hours....that's a bitch

5. You guys are making me feel a lot better and a lot less nervous haha good looks

I haven't worked high yet, and I don't wanna be high there my first day alone

6. i've worked a lot of 12 hour days in the past and i would still take fewer days with longer shifts over 5 days a week/8 hours.  working more hours isnt that big of a deal if it means you get more days per week off.

7. Yeah it probably won't be that bad. You just can't let people's shit bother you. Sucks with no breaks though but I've worked 12 hours with no breaks plenty of times but it wasn't that bad because it's not busy towards the end of the day and there is a television so it's basically like working is a break for me.

Working high is definitely something to consider though. Where part of your job is just to be friendly and helpful to customers being high might not be a bad thing.

8. Yeah definitely don't get high your first day, do it a couple of times and if it seems good to get stoned at then have a bowl beforehand see how it goes.  I never really liked going to work high though for the reason that it seems like you're there for days.

9. Good advice but i definitely would not smoke a bowl before an eight hour shift if i didn't have an opportunity to smoke again before the shift was over.

10. Just say busy man, say stocking some product, no product to stock? Wipe down some tables or windows or something. Just keep moving and grooving and not looking at the clock. Also idk if you text or don't at work, but dont, I think it makes time go slower.

Anywho, 8 hrs isn't all that bad and I know you can handle it.

11. I was nervous before my first ever 8 hour shift, seemed like the day would go on forever. Lately I've been working 12 hour days, seriously you don't have time for -anything- doing that shit. Really not worth it.

12. try working 12 hours 5 days a week...that fuckin sucks. thank god i no longer do that shit.

actually it wasn't bad when i was doing landscaping but when i did stocking for toys r us and they made me do 12 hour shifts all week during chirstmas season it fucking SUCKED

• Like Like x 1
  13. #33 i liketrees, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
    been there, done that, loved the pay and the job.  i was delivering furniture for rooms to go, so technically the day was however long it took us to get done (first delivery at 7AM, id usually get home by 8PM).  got into great shape with that job.  for me, it's just the start of the day and end of the day that i hate.  the middle of the day all sort of blends together so 12 hours isn't any worse than 8.

another thing is that i like labor over a desk job any day of the week.  sitting around all day fucking sucks, moving around and doing stuff is what makes work OK for me.  working at my desk job now, and despite the fact that i have time to browse GC (and get high for that matter), id much rather be out in the hot sun doing labor.

14. #34 SwichOne, May 23, 2013
    sounds like an easy job.......especially since its drive though

15. NikkyD, man, congrats, you got this with no sweaat off ya back. Pop in some earphonees, listen too some good tunes, you got this man,

Oh and random, but keep ya head up and just remember no matter how stupid or retarded the issue, the customer is always right. Don't defend a company that wouldn't defend you. I seen many new employees get torn apart over company policy, because the customer doesn't care.

16. Haha thanks man :smoke:

I'm not even really nervous about the 8 hours
    I'm more nervous about working completely alone at a location I haven't worked at yet

But that's definitely some great advice at the bottom, I totally agree 

17. I work 24hrs a day 365 days a year

growing that is

it would suck to have a "real" job, been there done that

18. I second this

19. #39 ICGreen, May 23, 2013
    You'll do great.
    Just think about the tasks you had to do at the other store. Ask for an orientation on where some lessor used items may be hiding, cleaning supplies, spare pens, restock items, air pump actuator etc.

Congrats, mo money. :smoke:

20. I really wish I could rep some of you guys!