im a social nightmare

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by stonerman1559, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the course of 2004 to 2008 i had spend my entire time cooped up in a house under homeschooling (we lived in a bad part of Puerto Rico and the schools were terrible and Ive got the scars to prove it) when we finally moved back to the states in the middle of Ohio it was time to rejoin society in my jr. year of high school. but when i got there i froze socially i could not talk with anyone each time i tried i felt extreamly awkward and my heart rate was elevated. i ended up spending my entire Jr. year sitting by myself in the cafeteria. and pretty much dodging any social situation that didn't involve classwork it wasnt untill the very end of my jr year that i walked into the school workshop o see two classmates standing by the wielders smoking a joint.....they thought the game was over but i said i would keep and eye out for them one of them later came up to me and introduced himself. ever since then we have been good friends and long term stoners. but he is the only person i can still talk to i still find myself socialy awkward and would greatly like some help on this matter particularly on the female stance of things because i simply cant keep myself shut up the way i am its not healthy : /.

2. #2 Card1na1, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    Just gotta start small and build up man

You gotta desensitize yourself to social interaction, gradually acclimate yourself to it until it becomes more and more comfortable

At school is probably not the best place to start, because if you try something there and fail it can effect your long term reputation... so practice on people walking by on the street

Start by just saying hello as you pass with no expectation of response...

Then ask if they have the time, and give them a compliment of some kind...

And just build up in this way until you feel comfortable having a full, normal conversation

Once you're comfortable with that you can work on making your conversations INTERESTING and FUNNY

Practice imitating people you see who are socially successful, watch their body language, how they move and talk, what sorts of things they say, etc, and learn from them

Then you can carry over all that to your school environment

Oh and make sure you have super good hygiene, work on your fitness, clothes, personal style, these sorts of things are definitely important

Just ideas...

3. Yeah, you just gotta roll with your situation. Try asking your friend for help, after all who can be better friends than the friends of your friend?

4. Unzip your fly. Trust me it works.

5. You can get over this man!

You just need to hang out with a group of people and get involved in more social situations.

I used to have terrible anxiety where I never wanted to do shit with friends because I would get the crazy heartbeat and I would tense up.

But after going to a lot of parties and being around large groups of people, you soon realize that no one really notices that awkwardness that you feel in your head.

I don't know if this is making any sense.

6. hye thanks i hope i can get over this soon im going to college soon and i need to learn to speak up in my profession. and college might be the right place to do it. nobody is as immature as in high school. and ill probably be selling weed so it might work out for me

7. To be cool or to make money ...?

8. im gonna try to go for both

9. Kind of know where you're coming from. I went to the same private school up until the 8th grade, at that point i switched high schools 4-5 times till i graduated. Since then iv never cared to meet people just cause iv seen soooo many "friends" come and go.. seemed like a waste of time. But lately i'v been wanting to meet more people who aren't so caught up spending all their time and money on weed.

10. This sounds very familiar. I just found out i had an Avoidant Personality Disorder, that I'm pretty sure i acquired from taking Concerta, which helps cure my symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder. The side effect was this personality of avoiding interaction with people because i was afraid that i was inferior to them in some way (in this case, my social skills).

But since it's acquired, it's definitely temporary. All you have to do is surround yourself with people you trust, like this friend of yours. And try to meet new people and become their friends, but the key is to not worry about how they see you. Keep in mind, the more people you talk to, the better your social skills become, regardless of the outcome of the conversation. But the hard part (trust me, i know) is being indifferent to peoples' opinions of you. It does get better with time.

Good luck, and i hope this was helpful :)

11. Talk to people, and put yourself in the mindset that you absolutely do not care what they think of you. Once you can move freely in a conversation without all of the worry, the conversation will just keep itself going.

It takes times and effort though, good luck.

12. Its a state of mind dude seriously get out of like loke someone in this thread said walk around with your fly open if you know this yet walk around like you don't this will bring about some confidence just don't be lewd about at it lol hey maybe some hot girl will tell your your fly is open and you can say something like yea I needed some air and break the ice from there its all about venturing forth first man

13. OP hasn't been here since Feb. OP if you want your thread re-opened when / if you return, pm me or a moderator. :smoke:

/closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.