I'm 18 and I can't see anything...

Discussion in 'General' started by Highest, Feb 17, 2010.

1. #1 Highest, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
    No, my vision is fine. I've just been thinking a LOT since the start of the year, about life and things like that, you know, general stuff.

To make a long story short..I graduated High School in June, I tried college out, and it's really not for me (I'm not stupid, but I just hate sitting in classrooms...my ADHD is too much); I'm a much better hands-on learner if that makes any sense. But, like I said, I've been thinking a lot about stuff recently and, I can't really see myself having a family or getting married, down the road. When I think about having a wife... I couldn't imagine anything better (I'm the type of guy that actually cares about girls, not a pussy by any means though), but the thought of having to take care of a child, a beautiful little baby, I couldn't even imagine how I could care for another human being. Am I just spending too much time alone thinking about shit, am I actually growing the fuck up, and/or am I just rushing scenarios in my head? I've always lived by the notion to live life one day at a time, but when I think about my future, my past, my present... where I'm going and what I want to do, I just have no idea, GC. The only thing I want to, and I've wanted to do, right now is join the military..

Anyways, any thoughts?

-Justin

2. you're growing up man...

soon you will have matured to a point where a wife and kids seems not only possible, but something you desire.

3. think about what what you really want and go do it, the military can't be on the top of your list.

4. Haha, the military is on the top of my list actually.

5. yes, this is probably the dumbest fucking thing one can do.

you're right in seeing no future - being a paid murderer doesn't have one.

don't buy the propaganda that being a soldier is something honorable. it is not.

if you fancy raining down bombs on civillians or helping multinational corporations rape the planet, by all means, join the military.

if you want to do something better with your life (even being a small time criminal is better!) then wake the fuck up and find something CREATIVE to do, not destructive.

6. uh anti ditto that. The military is one of the best options dude, when you enter you suck and when you leave you will have all sorts of self discipline, self defense, new skills, knowledge.... and they will pay for your college or other schooling that you might decide to do. and if you stay in the military you only have to work 20 years before you can retire. quite possibly making you a retiree at 38. Sure you will be the tool of a corporation's evil, but everybody is somebody's tool, at least this way you can really improve your niche in life.

7. well i guess if you're such an egotistic PRICK who only cares about HIS life without ANY regard for someone else's life, then the military is an option for sure!

("sure, we've killed 1+ million iraqi civillians, but who gives a shit, i'm getting a dental plan!!")

just don't expect any compassion/support from me when you get back without your legs.

8. If you are a hands-on guy, you should train to be an electrician, plumber, or something like that. Those kinds of jobs are not only interesting and engaging, but you do something that really matters and have the potential to make a lot of money, a lot more than the average college graduate.

As for the wife and such, you can get married without having kids. That's what I want, I want a wife, but no kids. It's not unrealistic, in fact my aunt and uncle have been married like 30 years and never had kids.

9. Exactly what he said.

I must add, it's normal for you to think and worry so much. They're moments in life where there's a sudden shift. Things are different. You gotta make decisions and live with them.

Personally, I would never join the military. It's too constricted, "in a box" kind of job. There's nothing honourable about it, but it does take a lot of guts.

As you grow older, you will find answers to your questions. Marriage, kids etc. It will come naturally, and you might find someone who makes you see things differently. Who knows.

Elend.

10. You have a lot of frustration. I'd leave the name calling out of threads if I were you.

11. dont think for a second that you havent lived on the sweat of 3rd world peoples, so why take up a cause against an organization designed to defend you and better you? besides one extra person that decides to join the military matters as much as one more person deciding to vote for president.

12. dude your 18 why the fuck you worrying about shit you got plenty of time.. smoke weed errr day homie

13. This is what I was going to say. It's great advice, and it's perfect for you :D

Don't worry or start dwelling on the wife and kids stuff. That has a way of working itself out. I never thought I could handle a little baby either but I did, I have, and I will again.

Good luck to you :cool:

14. Lol @ this. Get your facts straight dude. Not everyone in the military is a killing machine. I'm joing the Air Force and guess what I aint going to fight. Im going in to fix planes. And if I am getting a gun to protect the flightline well guess what we are all screwed anyways. Only a small percentage of the military is actually overseas fighting.

Ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:

Op I most definitely see where you are coming from. It comes with maturity tho. The military is a great root if you lack disipline and structure. However try to join something where you aren't just a grunt on the the ground because when you get out you'll have no real skills to make it in the real world.

Have you ever thought about a trade like electrician, carpenter, plumber. My friend was the same as you. Didnt do well in school had no real skills. Then he got into the elecrical union. He is now a 3rd yr apprentice making 50 K a yr and loves his job.

Good luck in whatever you do and dont let people persuade you from anything you put your mind too.

15. Please, for the love of whoever is watching us, do not join the military. Hands on learning =/= shooting a gun/drills. There's gotta be somethin' you're good at. I mean, you could join the Navy or something instead, but you can't honestly want to be risking your life. If you think you're a hands on learner, then hell, give yourself time to learn with those hands.

At one time, enlisting was honourable and what not... heck, it still is... much respect for everyone wearing a uniform, I don't mean to offend... you're all doin' something I don't think I could do. It's just now... I'm sick and fucking tired of the war. All I have to do is watch the 2% that actually gets recorded on the news, while you poor people are getting shot at. War is no good, and I understand a military is required to keep the peace, but enough is enough. I respect all the troops, having to put up with this for so long, but being "a paid murderer" as Troy said, or even really becoming associated with such destruction is not something I consider a good time.

OP, you're just thinking too fast. I felt I was gonna be alone forever, too. It all seems like so much to swallow, but even now, the difference between me being 18 and 19 is incredibly huge. I've become more of a man, so much more independent and free to do as I will. You will too, friend.

16. Wow. You just described me minus the military thing.

17. #17 ganja wife, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
    I'm 18 too, and I found myself thinking the same thing. (I'm a girl, so opposing genders haha)
    Not about the military, but just in general, "where do I go now?"

I think it's just the realization of the rest of your life. You no longer have highschool tunnel vision, and now that you decided college isn't for you you're just like, "so what now?"

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your life, but I will say that, although we probably feel like we know everything now, we don't, and we're going to change A LOT by the time we're 40. You never know, in 10 years you may want kids.

I don't know you, and I don't know what would make you happy, but don't be so hasty with your decisions. Just take it easy and try to make responsible choices that won't affect you negatively in the future or keep you from doing things you might want when you're older.

I wish we were in the same state, I'd gladly light a blunt and have this discussion with you in person :smoking:

18. Whether you're a soldier or mechanic, you're still working for the same cause. The planes you fix will be flying the real "killers" overseas. Ignorance is bliss? I assume you were calling Troy ignorant for thinking that everybody in the military is a murderer. I think it's more appropriate to say you are ignorant if you think that just because you aren't actually fighting means you aren't supporting the "war machine"

For OP, I'm obviously against the military idea, but whatever you decide to do, I suggest you wait a few years, you'll have time to think instead of going right after you get out of school.

19. I'm going to say go ahead and join the military if that is what YOU WANT to do. I have a few close friends who joined and their lives are much better because of it. There are areas of the military you can join that doesn't require going out and killing people. Both of my friends went in for computers (not sure what the official title is) and NOT ONCE have they ever had to kill someone. Infact, it has benefited one so much that after just 4 years of service he now has a job as a contractor over seas making well over 100k with his security clearance. No killing involved! And not everyone is sent over to fight. Only one friend had to serve in Iraq for a year, but since he is not infantry, it was all behind the scenes stuff.

If you have the mentality for it then the military may be your option. If not then do like all the others suggested and look into plumbing, electricity, construction etc. You're still young. Marriage and kids will come down the road when you know you are ready. Until then I wouldn't worry about it. Focus on picking a career that you will be happy with. And remember you can always change your mind if your career choice doesn't work out.

20. What about the the big C-130's that don't drop bombs but actually drop food to people who need it? What about the army doctor who is helping the local community by offering medicine and medical knowledge to the people? Yes the military is about war I understand that. First and foremost you are a soldier. However not every position you work in the military is directly related to the war machine.

Like I said in my last post not everyone is cut out for the military but there are ALOTof fields in the military that have nothing to do with war or fighting. Yes if you join the military you understand your work can be related to "killing machines" but some it will not be.

Plus if everyone had the "dont support the military" frame of mind. We all wouldnt be here with our freedoms posting what we want to say on this forum.