Illinois Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by St0neyBal0gney, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Its definetly open. I just never saw any customers during the time frame i was there. Surely theres a few or it wouldn't be open. I know a few people that have been there myself. Quality was hit and miss. Nothing special. Theres definetly not 100 different choices.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I am a med patient in Illinois and stocking up for the New Year... I am already seeing my dispensary struggle with how they are going to serve the rec users. I sense there will be a shortage and long lines for a while. (Parking is going to be a big problem too because the dispensary is in an office/industrial park and they have a very small lot.)

... and, yes, Illinois weed will be super expensive. Right now, it costs $25-$30 for 100 THC of edibles whereas I can purchase essentially the same product for $15-$18 in California.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #23 SirDabbington, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Home growers don't affect the legal market. There aren't enough to have an impact. That's like saying home tobacco growers affect the tobacco industry, it's negligible. I grow at home and still go to the dispensaries for the variety. I don't have a rosin press (yet), I stopped blasting 2 years ago, my strain selection is limited by size, I haven't taken the time to learn how to make gummies, I don't make my own carts... All reasons a home grower still goes to the dispensary.

Give your "infant legal market" 2-3 years and prices will drop.

Illinois is a greedy state, I know because I was born and raised there, they will want more dispensaries after a while.

Today's Forcast... Partly Cloudy With A Chance Of Amber.

4. When hundreds of people can grow and overstock a market it 100% makes a difference, your dispensaries have to lower their price to be able to compete with the fact that everyone has weed and when they lower our prices we will still have insane taxes but I dont see them lowering anything. Medical used to top out at $16 a gram and after being legal for 5 years it's more expensive not cheaper

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #25 SirDabbington, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Hundreds of people can grow??? In a state with 12.74 million people, not including tourists... Look up Cresco Labs. They have a 224,000sqf greenhouse in Illinois. That's just one of their facilities. Companies like that will be the ones to bring the price down. Along with competition when the state allows more dispensaries.

I almost can't even grow it for as cheap as I can buy it these days.

6. I can't grow for what I can buy it for. I buy shatter for $10 a gram and it lasts longer than bud. I grew one summer and the weather sucks here and it was stressful and expensive. I still have some of the bud. It's still good. I saved 2 oz and had all the rest turned into shatter.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cresco just finished that facility its 45mins from my house and I know half the people that work there. I stand by what I said illinois wont be getting cheap anything for a long time. And they are already sending out stuff to dispensaries to let people know recreational bud will be reggie basically because they cant keep up with medical demands and the law says they have to have at least a months supply of medical at all times. So proces will be going up and quality will be going down. And as far as cant grow it as cheap as you can buy it doesn't make since because nobody would grow it but so many people do your market I'd flooded and therefore super cheap. When weed is federally legal prices will go down because people will be able to import but until then Illinois will be a closed market controlled by cresco and another company

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes, Oregon has a huge surplus and they are looking to ship it to other legal states.

• Like Like x 1
  9. With Illinois law of 5 plants you can easily have a 1-2 lb harvest for minimal extra cost on the electricity bill. One light would cost like what, $50 extra for 4 months. So $200 bucks plus water to harvest 4 plants. That's obv not taking into account the start up cost of a tent and the light and your growing medium but after you're rocking it'll pay for itself

10. Now turn that in to gummies, carts, live rosin, live resin, terp sauce, drinks, good tasting consistant edibles etc... This all takes time and money.

If I were content with 4 flavors of flower and concentrate the dispensaries wouldn't get my business. However, I am not. Variety is the spice of life.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Say what you want, every other legal market has been where you're at and shows otherwise. Colorado was surrounded on all sides by illegal states and started off at $3000 a lb. In two years that price dropped to $800-$1000 a lb. Some places tax as high as 25% out here... Calm down, your prices will go down. When legal supply is higher than demand, the price drops. Econ 101.

12. #32 killset, Dec 16, 2019
    Under illinios law only medical patients can grow and they still have possesion limits of usable product making 1-2lbs illegal to possess. Rec will still be illegal though for 5 plants and under the penalty is being reduced to a $200 civil fine.

13. Nobody except the 20 medical and 20 recreational license holders( which all of them are held by the same 2 companies except the 12 or 13 rec licenses that haven't been issued yet) can grow and medical patients can only have 30 grams of flower and 5 grams of concentrates same as everyone else in a couple weeks. Also 5 plants and under has always been a misdemeanour

14. Im referring to home grows bud. No 5 plants and under has not always been a misdemeanor. Thats a more recent development. When i started growing 30+ years ago it was a felony and continued to be such until recently

15. Yes, I wasn't talking about non medical patients. Those with a card can grow 5 plants. This link Illinois Laws & Penalties - NORML - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws used to say you could grow as much as your heart desires indoors but only allowed to leave the house with the public legal limit allowed. It looks like that line has been removed but I can't find any new info the replaces it

• Like Like x 1
  16. #36 killset, Dec 16, 2019
    The med patients that do decide to grow really won't have much of an impact on the black market or the price at the dispensary is all im getting at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. People that camp or wait hours for dispense are crazy, literally not even going to go for a few months when it will still be cheaper and less of a wait time just the idea of being able to go to a the dispensary legally is neat. Cannot wait to start making all sorts of stuff at home for self medicating and lots of edibles

• Like Like x 1
  18. I know several med patients in Illinois. Quality seems very hit or miss, mainly miss. Theres a lady who comes to the tavern i hang out in always bragging about her med weed which the majority of the time is garbage. I always get a kick out of it when people turn her weed down for my homegrown...lol. recreation will have it worse paying high taxes for garbage

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Definitely cannot wait to see more people home growing and getting first hand experience, Illinois is going to be such a different place, cannot wait to see what the quad cities has in store!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. #40 Deleted member 1103966, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2019

• Like Like x 2