Illinois committee approves Medical Cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ScriabinAnime, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ehh, just like the last bill I dont have much hope.

It will probably get stalled out in the full house just like the last few times.

Plus.. they keep neutering the bill, watering it down more and more to try appease conservatives in the state.

2. trueee, one of the bills will have to pass one day, so might as well stay commited to each of them until it happens though bro

3. True...

But I just heard on the news today that the state has been batting around the idea of going medical for 10 years now.. So I'm not going to hold my breath.

Plus.. the bill will be so strict that I doubt any of us on GC from IL will qualfy for it.
    But.. if it passes then great, at least some people are getting relief and it's a step in the right direction.

4. Yeah, from what the bill reads a person has to pretty much be on deaths bed to even get considered for medicinal marijuana and it STILL only has barely 50% support on the floor.

Even if this bill is passed it wont be put into place until Jan 1st 2014
    and then even if a person has a severe condition that qualifies
    all other possible pharmaceutical meds must be tried before marijuana is even considered by the physician. So they'd make it a last resort kind of effort to treat a person

5. Yeah the laws will be strict but shit theres gonna be alot of good bud for cheap goin around regardless.
    One Illinois law that blows my mind is that......you will get more in trouble for havin a used pinch hitter then you would if you were growin 5 or less plants. Both a misdemeanor but you can get a max fine of $750 for the hitter, compared to a max fine of $0.00 for growing lmao Learn your laws and you should be all good.

6. yep... It just seems like every year the bill gets weaker and weaker, and every year we still lose out by a few votes.

Sometimes I think it would be better if Rep Lou Lang took the bill completely back to the drawing board, made it much more lenient and encompassing, maybe even taking a year off from pushing the bill on the congress and to try to get more grass root support and then bring it back to vote when it has more momentum and backing by the people.

Maybe that wouldn't work either... but neither does dragging a bill before the state congress every year just to have it stalled out in springfield or to lose by a couple votes. Rep Lou Lang seems like a good guy, but he keeps making all these compromises and it honestly doesn't seem to be getting us any closer to medical mj here in IL

7. #9 Tomato Dog, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    I think he realizes the only way this is going to work in IL is if he makes the pilot program as strict as possible in order to maybe get it adopted.
    Then hopefully, a few years later when many other states have either decriminalized/legalized/or medicinalized mmj, IL state congress will then hopefully realize hey this actually wasn't such a bad idea for the state,
    crime is down a little, were pickicking up tax revenue, and the people seem to be healthy/happier.
    I think rep lou knows he'd be able to THEN change the pilot program to make it more flexible

8. #10 mos619, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    Unfortunately, Illinois is a big ass state that dips down into the bible belt. Shit I live 2 hours from the city and I'm surrounded by republican dbags. They don't make it easy to pass anything progressive, whether it's medical marijuana or gay marriage.

However, I'm one of the minority in the cannabis community who thinks medical marijuana laws should be strict. If you want marijuana to be legal go ahead and fight for that, but don't push for medical marijuana on the hopes that you'll be able to lie about "migraines" and smoke legally. If you're going to push for medical marijuana, push for medical and cut the fucking bullshit.

Believe it or not, marijuana really does have medicinal properties. It might not be the panacea some of the more zealous among us make it out to be, but it does have a wide range of uses in treating multiple conditions. Also, believe it or not, there are REAL people out there who are ACTUALLY sick that could benefit from cannabis.

If we can pass a law that allows those people to improve the quality of their lives with cannabis, but doesn't have a loophole big enough to drive an 18 wheeler full of stoner douche bags through it, that's still a victory.

Put the bong down for 15 minutes and think it through: two states just legalized recreational use. Those states started out with medical marijuana. If we pass and implement an HONEST medical marijuana law, and the sky doesn't fall, we'll have less resistance from the opposition to legalize marijuana in our own state.

It's not about winning one battle, it's about winning the war.

PS I know I sound like a self righteous douche, but I'm sick of hearing people whine about how they won't be able to exploit the system.

9. we might not benefit from it directly at the moment, but its the first domino in the chain.
    once they finally pass it, they will finally begin to see it from a positive standpoint in the near future. and now that theres a bill being submitted on a federal level for marijuana, any positive light shed upon weed is progress.

they will repeal it after 4 years, and hopefully they will have a long list of reasons to keep MMJ legal, and once they see all the positives, theres more of a likelyhood that when they want to legalize it recreationally, that it will pass.

im stayin positive about this, as should all of Illinois.

10. i agree fully, i dont believe in playing the MMJ system.
    all it does it cause reasons for them to not legalize MMJ in the illegal states.
    im all for people getting the medicine they deserve, but this is also a stepping stone toward recreational legalization.

11. Exactly, I don't understand why people have to be selfish cunts.

12. Yes, it needs to pass not only for the current sick people of this state, but for any who unfortunately will become sick in the future.

Theres no way you can play HB1 in Illinois, the only way would require a person to actually give themselves cancer or hiv/aids like in south park.

I see where your coming from on that playing the system standpoint. Though I believe everyone in this world deserves to smoke a natural plant if they choose to. Sick or not.

13. It has nothing to do with any one being "selfish cunts"

I complain about the bill being too strict, so in your eyes it would mean I'm a "selfish cunt"
    I'm not complaining about the bill being too strict in any connection to myself. I'm complaining that the bill is too strict because it is. I'm fine with my sources of good quality weed, me complaining about the bill has nothing to do with me trying to game or take advantage of the system.
    But for others, that want to possibly game the system... HB1 covers crohns disease and rheumatoid arthritis.. so the window to game the medical system in our corrupt state of IL is there. My complaints have nothing to do with whether or not people will be able to get medical marijuana.. whether sick or not.

Most states who have enacted medical have only gotten stricter with laws over time, not more lenient. Colorado and Washington aside.. California, New Jersey, Montana, Michigan... all of these states medical laws have gotten stricter over time.

If IL starts with a strict medical bill to begin with, imagine what the state will whittle the bill down to when it is put into place. Or the restrictions that will eventually put in place over time.

Every one in medical states always has the positive view of "lets get this bill into law, and hopefully we can make it more lenient in the future" But sadly this isn't true.
    Like I said, if the bill gets passed I'll be happy even if it helps a single person. I just don't want IL to end up like Montana or New Jersey.. states who have medical marijuana but have a completely shitty system.

14. That is what I hope will happen in NJ..specially with our economy.

But this a good step for you lot...more patients will hopefully get the medicine they need.

15. This is why these processes are not up to one person.
    People with Crohn's or Rhumatiod Arthritis are taking particular exception to your opportunist bent in seeing those conditions as an "opportunity to game the system." They are horrible friggin' diseases, guy. Not an "opportunity." Kindly retract that statement, if you would.

Ultimately, shielding from criminal sanctions is the goal for those with qualifying conditions. These laws are getting ridiculously strict, often at odds with itself as to allowed number of plants and allowed dried bud, or making people drive "XX" number of miles to a state-run dispensary yet to be set up in the year 2022. (If whatever new governors comes along don't delay it further.) The laws immediately put people into violation to begin with. ((I don't think this is by accident.))
    Hopefully, there remains compassion in our peers. As if brought before a jury, you'd hope your medical struggles would mean something to them and they would grant medical exception to law. I think that compassion can still exist in people.

And there are usually provisions in these medical bills to enable petitioning certain state pharmacy boards or whatnot (good luck, I know...) Lots of hurdles everywhere you turn. If you are sick, you don't need 5,000 pages of legal statutes to memorize. Compassion, please! Good grief! :rolleyes:

16. Med. Mmj is only to make things stricter for recreational users... it may help you out in the future but who knows. You should all be cheering on the bill for those who actually need the medicinal treatment.

17. Getting back to the politics of this bill:

1 - HB1 passed out of the committee with a "Do Pass as Amended" recommendation to the full house by an 11-4 vote - what that vote means is that there is at least some republican support for this version (the committee has 15 members 9 Dem & 6 GOP)

2 - In the Illinois House, there are now 71 Dem reps and 47 GOP reps

3 - The downside is that all of the bill's sponsors are Democrats from Chicago and close to Chicago suburbs....for this to really get traction we need a couple of downstate Dems and at least one republican (from ANYWHERE in the state) to stick their neck out and co-sponsor this bill

18. I'm not calling you a selfish cunt in particular, unless you are one of those people supporting a loose law that will never be passed just because you want to lie and become a patient, then yes you're a selfish cunt:devious:. Those people, along with irresponsible stoner dipshits, piss me off like no other. They give cannabis users a bad reputation and make it harder for other states to pass MMJ laws.

As far as HB1 goes, it's definitely not perfect. There's actually a stipulation in there that bars medical cannabis organizations from making campaign contributions. That's fucking ridiculous. However, I'm of the mind that if we start out as strict as possible and pass, then we've got no where to go but up. We've got to get a foot hold in, and then when the pilot program expires, and people have become acclimated to medical cannabis, we can push the line forward.

Then again, there may be some shit going down on the federal level that'll completely change the dynamics of drug policy reform. The DoJ still hasn't revealed their stance on CO and WA. ASA is putting the DEA's ass over a fire on rescheduling cannabis. More people support drug policy reform than ever before. I think we may be getting close to ending this dumbass prohibition.

Or ya know, NK could immanentize the eschaton and we can all rock it Mad Max style. Ain't no DEA in the thunderdome!