"illegal" pets

Discussion in 'Pets' started by xpurplehaze420x, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Ok so i saw something on foxes and them making awesome pets. And i was wondering why it could be illegal (at least it is here in NJ) how often do you hear about a fox killing someone?? Yea one with rabies may bite someone or a wild one may attack a baby if its unattended but they very rarly attack people. Especially ones that are raised by people. Foxes are so much more timid, and smaller than most dog species yet in NJ are considered dangerous and not viable pets. Quite frankly i feel like people will keep them as pets anyway so making.it legal to keep the. Makes it better so the get vaccinated for rabies. Sorry for the long read, just ranting.
    tl;dr foxes arent dangerous compared to most dog species theres no reason they should be illegal

2. I've always wanted a monkey. My grandpa was a kid in the 50s and his family had a howler monkey. I always thought it would be beast to have a monkey just chillin next to you on the couch while you watch tv.

3. I actually know a lot about exotic animals and individuals attempt to keep them as pets. I've dealt with a variety of animals from coatimundi to lynx and primate species.

Personally I've found that individuals who are really determined to get an animal can usually get it via filing paperwork although it can be a lengthy, time consuming, and potentially expensive process. That said I think the barriers are somewhat of a good thing, because most people have absolutely no idea what they are getting into when they get an exotic and that's just a recipe for disaster.

Foxes can be good assuming they were bottle raised although they are still much more likely to bite in comparison to any domesticated house pet. I guess the fundamental problem involves people just assume that wild mammals are similar to domesticated species. Even if the temperament is the same, which it usually is not, feeding them and finding appropriate vet care is much more difficult. i'd suggest anyone interested in exotics to see if their was a zoo nearby to volunteer at, you'll really get great exposure.

Primates are usually the worst type of animal anyone can get. There are a few people who have a great time with keeping small/midsize primates but the majority of individuals have terrible results.

4. What do these "terrible results" usually entail? I don't mean that condescendingly either.

I'm not at a point in my life where I could take care of or afford one but I'm curious.

5. I'm sure it's all for good reason.

I mean, we wouldn't want bears as pets, would we? Horrible things can happen...

6. hahahaha good one :p

7. Google all the accounts of people getting attacked by their monkeys or someone they knows monkey. Even if they're not the majority it happens somewhat frequently.

8. Even when raised from infancy?

9. I can just imagine him showing us an article, the headline is: Sit! Stop! Poop throwing monkey rampage!

Local man filed to own a chimp some months ago. It has come to light that the chimp has not only named itself as king of the house, but chooses to throw his feces at every human who enters king chimps kingdom! :smoking:

10. Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are cases where the apes had been part of the family since birth and they were decently old. Imagine someone did something to piss off a kid, and the kid decided to hit them because he had a bad day, except that kid was a chimp and could kill someone. Animals can snap just as people can, regardless of how intelligent.

11. Fair enough, I guess wild animals really should just be left alone, theres no place for them around us forreal.

12. Yea but think about what happens when theres a bad incident involving humans and bears vs human and foxes. Yea a fox biting you would hurt, but how much more than the gauntlet a pissed off cat puts you through??

13. Chimps and stuff are terrible pets. But.i could imagine a small monkey would be pretty damn awesome.

14. i think it's pretty funny this discussion is happening in a weed forum.

I would personally want to own a blue whale. That would be so dope.

15. Primates are very intelligent and accordingly make very difficult pets. For example I know of one keeper who kept a small monkey. Being social animals the monkey constantly wanted to be around humans. So basically whenever the keeper left the room the monkey would throw it's water/food all over the floor as he realized his keeper would have to come in and clean it. This example was also from a very experienced keeper, who knows far more about caring for animals than most keepers.

Also even some bottle raised monkeys can get quite nasty at times.

16. monkeys fling their poo and masturbate in public. I really dont like them.

17. It's worth adding that even small monkeys have surprisingly powerful bites and they have a tendency to bite the face.

18. on the subject of illegal monkeys, while i got my haircut, my mom was watching Some "dangerous predators" show - the first word was outrageous or something... i think i dunno

anyway, this chimp this lady raised from birth ate off her friends face
    the 911 call was just disturbing

19. I want a silverback gorilla as a pet. It would carry me around

Omega369 :wave:

20. Yeah, chick who's face got eaten only got like 2million from the lawsuit too

Pretty sure it'd just snap you in half