Illegal Immigrant

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by DeepDeepSouth, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Recently the subject of illegal immigration has become a hot topic, and I honestly think a lot of people are not well educated on the subject. I have written several papers on the subject and while doing research I found that overall illegal immigrants have a net positive effect on are economy.

One of the biggest misconceptions about illegal immigrants is that they don't pay taxes, this idea is wrong most illegal immigrants pay their income taxes. Thru pay-check withholding illegals pay social security and medicare taxes, even tough as illegal immigrants they will never be able to claim a social security check. Illegal immigrants also not very likely to claim a refund at tax time. A paper in the peer reviewed Tax Lawyer journal from the American Bar Association asserts that illegal immigrants contribute more in taxes than they cost in social services.

*Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com

Another popular idea is that illegal immigrants are a strain on are healthcare system, while it is true that when in need of health care some illegal immigrants visit the ER in order to receive care without having health insurance. Most illegal immigrants ovoid visiting hospitals when possible to avoid attention. I live in south Texas and it has long been known that are area has one of the highest medicare cost per capital in the nation. Most people blamed are large illegal immigrant population for the high cost, but in a recent New Yorker article the truth war reviled. The article showed that in this area medicare cost was so high due to medicare fraud. Medicare fraud cost tax payers up to 35 billion dollars a year this is multiple times the amount that illegal immigrants(8 billion) cost tax payers. The point im trying to make is that even though illegal immigrants do affect are healthcare system there affect is small went compared to the effect of fraud.

*Medicare fraud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    *McAllen, Texas and the high cost of health care : The New Yorker

I just wrote this to show people that illegal immigrants are not lazy free loaders that come to are country just to milk are social services. I personally know some people that are in are country illegally and to be honest they are some of the hardest working people I have ever known. These people know what its like not having something to eat or somewhere to sleep so they work there butts of for minimal wage. That is why America is great its the land of opportunity if you work hard you will succeed. There is many Citizens that choose to be lazy and don't work because they know they will be taken care of by the government. I don't know about you all but I think are country would be better off if we keep the hard working illegal immigrants and get rid off all the citizens that have been milking the system for everything they can.

I know not everyone will agree with me one this subject and i respect everyone's opinions just keep the responses civilized and non racist.

2. hear hear! finally some FACTS about the subject, great post.

3. I hate to be that guy, I really do, but I've got a problem with illegal immigration. Good facts.

Before I begin, I just want to say I know immigrants, some illegal some not, and I personally have no problem with them.

My biggest issue with the public outcry against illegal immigration legislation is the fact that they present it as effecting ALL immigrants. To say so is just plain stupid, that would require us to deport essentially all of the US. Hell my own father was an immigrant.

Other issue is that people can't seem to understand that illegal immigrants are breaking the law as soon as they cross our border. Really, everytime I hear a story about illegal immigrants living in fear of the day that the federal government will break down their door, I can't help but think "Well yeah... you are breaking federal law after all..."

I suppose, there will always be arguments about this.

Just my two cents

4. i hope people dont put to much credit on those articles. heres why

"The Internal Revenue Service doesn't track a worker's immigration status, yet many illegal immigrants fearful of deportation won't risk the government attention that will come from filing a return even if they might qualify for a refund. Economist William Ford of Middle Tennessee State University says there are no firm figures on how many such taxpayers there are"

so, there are no firm figures. but they will make a guess any ways

"The agency estimates that for 2005, the last year for which figures are available, about $9 billion in taxes was paid on about $75 billion in wages from people who filed W2 forms with incorrect or mismatched data, which would include illegal immigrants who drew paychecks under fake names and Social Security numbers"

this definately doesnt prove illegals pay their fair share. it does prove they steal ss numbers and identities and a lot of legal americans get info wrong on their taxes

"Spokesman Mark Hinkle says Social Security does not know how much of the $9 billion can be attributed to illegal immigrants. The number is certainly not 100%, but a significant portion probably comes from taxes paid by illegal immigrants.
    Nine billion dollars sounds like a lot of money, and it is, but it is only about 1.5% of the total $593 billion paid into Social Security in 2005."

ok, they dont know, but, a significant portion probably comes from illegals, i say probably not. how can you prove it if you dont know how much comes from them.

5. #5 Spikoli, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
    I think the biggest problem with illegal immigration is that it is illegal. I have no problem with immigration but my feelings about 'illegal immigration' is murky at best. on the surface I say follow the rules and get naturalized like your supposed to. but as i think about it deeper i start to come to the belief that if we say illegal immigration is completely out of the question it calls into question the validity of any person in this country that is not directly descended from native americans. it seems like deliberate ignorance of our own history. mexicans are just doing what europeans did stating 600 years ago sans the attempts at genocide and success at enslavement. look through the phone book and you will see that this country is a country of immigrants (legal and otherwise) to say 'what they are doing is ,in effect, morally wrong',....it smacks of hippocracy.

Now from an economic standpoint my feelings get a little more conservative (and for this pinko-commie-leftist that takes some doing) I don't think that we have to allow them access to welfare, or medical services (aside from emergency medical services), or driver's licenses, or to own a business, or enrollment in public schools, or any of those other privileges that are for legal residents, that is until they become naturalized.

6. I'm not racist but I too have a problem with illegal immigration. They are still breaking the law, ya know? We all know marijuana isn't gonna kill anyone but it's still breaking the law and even people like us have to go to jail for breaking the law. They know they are so if they get caught, they deserve it.

Also, there are a lot of immigrants a few towns over from here and it seems as if none of them even try to learn the English language. I mean, if they're going to be here and work in our society, learn fuckin english! Kthnx.

7. It is true that as soon as they cross the border it is illegal. That is why they should make it easier for legal immigration. And for the economic buffs out there that want credible figures.

Q&A: Illegal Immigrants and the U.S. Economy : NPR

"Harvard's George Borjas says the average American's wealth is increased by less than 1 percent because of illegal immigration."

8. Q&A: Illegal Immigrants and the U.S. Economy : NPR

still all just speculation, no statistics or facts on that link

9. I don't think we're at a comfortable position to be swearing by the law as the moral standard however...

10. #10 seriusme, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
    I have a big problem with illegal immigrants, nothing against Latino people or anything but there are just too many in the country and the number will keep growing Latino's will be the majority soon. My uncle had to wait 7 years for his green card to come to America people can wait their turn aswell. I never hate on people but illegal immigrants are very much a strain on our country

e: Let me tell you an example of why illegal immigrants can be a problem in our society. I know someone who owns a restaurant and he had some illegal immigrants working nightshight. It was payday so what did they do? got massivly drunk and OD'ed on alcohol inside the restaurant. Guess where one of the lads woke up? In the ER with MY tax money paying the doctors to take care of him. Obviously not every illegal immigrant is retarded like this but they do cause a very big strain on our country economically.

11. I used to know a dude who would literally complain about illegal immigrants a long time ago - This guy must be having a field day nowadays.

12. I understand that this country was built and founded by immigrants. They came here legally and did not make others suffer. I understand that many people come to this country every month from other countries and this is okay. The problem that I have is the illegal immigrants. Regardless of where they come from, they make life here worse for all of those that are here legally. They take jobs, housing, benefits, and even identities from honest people. Not only that, but the overcrowding also leads to higher crime, more drugs, an increase in homelessness, and an overall strain on the entire economy. For many people, this strain can keep them from retirement, cause them to become homeless, or come at the cost of starvation. Many people may scoff or disbelieve these facts, but they are in fact true. Many times, the poor of other countries come here illegally, which causes strain and pressures on our own poor and working class causing them to get poorer and poorer. There are many examples of this all around us.

I have witnessed this first hand. It used to be that there were many apartments around and that anyone that had an income could get a place to live. This is no longer the case. I struggle to keep a roof over my head and have been turned down repeatedly. All of this is happening while there are several illegals filling these apartments that I cannot be approved to rent. The big problem is that the prices keep climbing. This is okay for the people that are not supposed to be here because they can cram 10 or 15 people into a studio apartment and each pay a small price each to keep it. They are constantly "hot-racking" these places (one person gets a bed while the other works and then they switch). They lie to get into these places and bring more and more of their friends with them. This causes their rent to drop. All the while, I am turned down because I am being honest. As soon as I tell the landlord that I have four people in my family, the rent sharply increases and I cannot get into anything shy of a two bedroom. I have to pay a ginourmous amount of rent because I am honest. The illegals, which have already broken laws to get here, have no problems lying and breaking more laws. It does not stop there.

My father-in-law should have been able to retire about five years ago. He is still working because he cannot get on the housing list. If he were illegal, he would have been in a house about two years ago. He is not and has worked here his entire life to seemingly no avail. Now at the age of 72, he has to choose whether to be homeless and retire or continue to do manual labor. This is causing a lot of undue stress on him and others like him. Now you add the fact that many people retiring are either denied benefits or not getting enough due to the fact that there are too many illegal aliens on the welfare and retirement payrolls. They steal identities to get jobs and pretend to be legal. This uses the benefits of those that actually worked here and had their social stolen from them. They do not get the benefits and help that they need because someone broke a law.

The worst part of this whole mess is the fact that many politicians think that the illegals should just be given immunity and welcomed to this country. Whether they want to admit it or not, they broke laws. There is the argument that they come here for a better life. Well they are still criminals. If you break a law, you should not be rewarded. If things are that bad, you can always file as a refugee and come here legally. You can use the right channels and do things the right way. My biggest argument against the whole thing is that if they not only get away with breaking a law, but are rewarded for it, what other laws are they going to break.

I always hear these sob stories about how rough life is where they come from, but life is hard everywhere. I do believe in helping people. I am always giving money to the poor and trying to do my best to help anyone that I can, but I have never hurt anyone else to help another. Yet, the illegals do this to others every chance they get. These people do not care who they hurt or what pain and stress they cause. All they care about is themselves. As long as they are taken care of, that is all that matters to them. There is no concern that they have destroyed our economy and are turning this country into a third world habitat.

The financial stress is just the beginning. They also tax our health care and bring diseases with them. Several states are now having a tuberculosis outbreak. Many communities are having severe problems with this disease that we got rid of decades ago. These illegals are bringing this and many other illnesses with them. The rise in the sick also taxes our health care system and forces many more people to go to the hospital. The lack of health care insurance for any of the poor and lower working class cases even more strain and forces them to pay even more that they can not afford. The people that came here illegally get first rate health care because they either steal the identity of someone with a great health care plan, their employer will pay for it since they work for pennies on the dollar, or they just turn themselves in and get front of the line privileges in the hospitals and clinics while waiting to be deported and come back next season. There are even several clinics that specifically treat the illegals for little or no cost. No one except the lawbreakers can go to these clinics. This is wrong. Every day we have poor and homeless men, women, and children dying and starving out on the streets but we focus our attention on the illegals that steal their way into this country, break many laws in the process and then hurt everyone that lives here.

It still does not stop there. They take the jobs that people need. George Bush said that they only take the jobs that no other American will do, but he forgot the key phrase to this fact. "At that wage," needed to be added to that. Many homeless out there would take anything they can get at the same wages as the illegals. I have seen people hire the homeless for the same wages they would pay the illegal immigrants and the homeless are ecstatic. They want to work and better their situation. These jobs are being given to the illegals because they will work for next to nothing, save it all and live like fat rats in the off season down in their home country. Now, not only are they stealing the jobs but taking money from our economy down to wherever and boosting the economy there. These major corporations see this as an advantage because they get cheap labor with no benefits. They are so blinded by their money that they can no longer see what harm they are truly doing. They care as little as the illegals that they are hiring.

This needs to stop. No one in Washington will take care of it because they benefit from it as much as the corporations do. They are the ones that own the businesses doing the hiring of illegals. They will not help the illegals either. They benefit from the cheap labor so they want it to remain illegal. They are not going to change one thing. It really matters little to them that the country is failing. They have more money than many of us will ever see in our lifetime. They can make it through this until it levels out. They have no concern for us, only their profit margins. We must do something about this as citizens. We need to look at what this is doing and stop it our selves. The only way any of the businesses will listen is to hit them in the wallet. If you know that someone is hiring illegals, do not buy from them. It is that simple. If you need some minor work done, hire the homeless not the illegals. They will work for the same cheap wages but it will benefit us all. For the sake of our children, our future, and our health, it is time to stop the illegals.

13. I couldn't help but see every time you tried to write "our" you said are. hahah

14. I immigrated to this country when I was 2. I went through the naturalization process, I got my citizenship, but yet I couldn't speak a word of English when I came here. Twenty years later I graduated from a top 50 University. Why can't others do the same? I feel cheated, like I went through the system when I could have just been a dirty squatter.

Having said that, illegal immigration is a huge problem, especially in the border states (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California). There are just too many illegals coming in, and its unfortunate that the Constitution relegates the power of immigration law to the federal governments, not the states. Props to Arizona and California for raising the issue of state vs federal powers.

I was hit by an illegal immigrant on the road. She was in front of me and we were stopped at a red light. She pulls the car into reverse probably to let another car into the lane, and slams into my front hood. I'm like "wtf, did you hear my honking and screaming? did you even look in the rear view mirror?" A spicy little Latina got out of the drivers seat and was like "fuck you! did you see my tailights??!" LOL i asked her for her ID, insurance, and registration and she didnt have ANYTHING. If I could bust my ass through Drivers Ed, then why do illegals think that they dont have to?

15. I worked in a Workers' Compensation law firm in Santa Barbara for two years. About 75% of our clients were illegal, and when we were dealing with insurance companies, we would use "fake" social security numbers for their claims. But it's not like these claims were legit. Quite too often, the "injury" resulted from a worker "slipping" on a piece of "lettuce on the floor" and thus now the state has to pay for their time off work, physical therapy, and legal bills. I quit even though I was getting paid up the whazoo.

16. illegal immigrants dont pay taxes because they work cash jobs and sell drugs...this is abunch of bs

personnally if i were them i would be doin the same damn thing......i am fortunate enough to not be an illegal immigrant but i do dont judge or blame them for trying to make a better future for themselves and their familes

there are legal routes to becoming a US citizen and they need to pursue that route before ILLEGALLY entering the country.

but they are uneducated most of the time and this is their instinct

they just know the US has $$$$ out the ass everywhere and they just want a piece of the pie to

17. Do you live in California, Arizona, Texas, Colorado or places that are severely impacted by illegal immigrants? I'm all for humans are born equal, but even legal immigrants hate the illegal immigrants that come in. They give them a bad image, they do NOT pay taxes (other then sales tax), the latino gangs have escalated to a huge amount because all latino immigrants aren't Mexicans; the Dominicans don't like the Guatemalans, the Mexicans don't get along with Salvadorians etc. etc. Now that's a generalization, but the latin world illegal immigration problem isn't only stemming from Mexico.

Second, there are many decent, polite, hard-working illegal immigrants in this country. My family knowingly employs a friend's sisters because they are illegal in the country. They speak very little english, but are incredibly kind to me, and in return I am kind to them too. But many of immigrants are here because they feel 'entitled' to the American dream, a ridiculous amount of people think that California still belongs to Mexico. And their idea of getting it back is to have the Latino population be the majority in California which is going to happen, considering it's already nearing 50%. Legal immigrants who are Latino are completely welcome in my country, or of any race. Any race of illegal immigrants are not welcome, even if their skin color is white.

For some reason they feel it's a good idea to jump on the sinking ship to make it sink faster.

18. are you fucking kidding me????

ummm. trail of tears. the whole native reservation system. various 'indian bills'. so called treaties signed with the northwest natives. any number of attempts at genocide. small pox (deliberately) infected blankets. the list really goes on and on and on. those descended from European stock (and i am one) are here by force, and if 'force' is 'legal' then all the 'illegal' immigrants here by 'force' (force is force whether weapons are involved or not) are in fact 'legal' by this rationale.

This is a self defeating argument because it relies on the premise of 'might makes right'. and if that is the case then the mexican immigrants who are using their MIGHT (of numbers) are RIGHT in coming here whenever they damn well please, because of the simple fact that they DID.

19. whats wrong with might makes right? Thucydides said in The Peloponnesian War that "the powerful will do what they can, the weak will suffer what they must". its not self-defeating because the "might makes right" argument would justify Arizona's response to the illegal immigration problem

20. We waged (a wrongful) war against the Indians for control of the land in which we established a country. All the immigrants that came thereafter that populate our country, the majority came legally and did not cause any negative impacts on the American society.