I'll be gone for a while...

Discussion in 'General' started by Oddyball, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Well I guess my grandmother bought my ticket, and it's for tomorrow. For those who aren't aware, my grandpa died recently and I volunteered to go to Mississippi in the country where I'm far away from anything and everything for 3 months. Part of it is to get sober and lose weight; but the majority is to help her.

She's 89 and I'm going to have to bathe her.. clean up after her... it's not a vacation. I'm actually sacrificing my life here for 3 months to just go there and give a hand. But... fuck it's going to be hard. Her house is 30 miles from her nearest neighbor. It's just forest and country. Me, and her. 3 months of just being in solitary. I feel I can accomplish this because I made it through bootcamp already. I live in the city right now, so it's going to be hard to adjust. I just, I guess I've been high for so long now, I didn't expect it to happen tomorrow - I'm not even packed. There is no internet over there, so for now I won't be on here. But once I get connected over there I'll post :)

2. whoa dude, thats intense..
    thats just gonna be mentally stressful, taking care and being alone with someone so old and fragile..

but you already know alot of good will come from this, and your "karma score" will be up there.;)

good luck brotha and post when you get the chance

PEACE OUT!:smoking::smoking::smoking:

3. That's awesome dude. I was just going to ask you the other day how you were doing with the whole getting sober and excersizing stuff after seeing that thread you made awhile back.

That's real cool that you're doing something good to help your grandmother, not a lot of people would honestly do that.

What happens after 3 months?

4. Well, after three - 4 months, if I still want to come back here (which is the plan), hopefully I'll have battled my demons and come to peace with them. It's like... it might sound transparent, or egotistical; but my whole future, in my eyes, is relying on me getting in shape. I just remember being so much happier and more content with myself when I was thin. In my life, my weight is a double edge sword. I was always the fat kid, and once I got in shape it was like a shock to my world. I know that's how I am supposed to be. So, if it sounds illogical and irrational to assume that me being in shape will help my future, then so be it, haha. But that's how I see it.

So if I do get in shape, I'll come back here, be happy and motivated to really get a job and do something important with myself. This is just how I see things right now, at 23. I'm sure it can all turn out horribly wrong and my plan could go to shit. But if I make this happen, then I'll prove to myself that I am an adult - and I have control of the direction in my own life. I'm hoping to find peace with myself....

5. No shit? I was a former fatty too. I've lost a little over 80 pounds since i've been out of high school, nobody I went to high school with can even recognize me. I struggle with staying in shape too, it seems like its so much easier to gain weight when you were already fat before. It seems like I can easily gain 10 pounds in a day. I totally know what you mean that being in shape makes you feel like a completely different person.

Good luck dude :smoke:

6. Thats a really nice thing your doing for your grandma.
    Not many ppl i think would do that with that short of notice.
    You have my respect sir.

Take it easy, and have a nice holiday.:)

7. I hope you and your family the best.I hope you have a great holiday also.

8. Thanks everyone! I hope you all have an awesome Holiday! :love:

9. I think it's awesome that you are helping your grandmother like that... really, that's a rare quality and I think you should be commended with it.

I only hope that you can score enough bud to last 3 months.

10. Wishing you the best of luck man, it won't be easy, I can tell you that, but you can do it. Just remember to be patient with her and take it one day at a time.

11. I think its perfect for oyu that she is so isolated.

In oyur free time, yo ucan really take that time to explore the landscape around you, and get really active.

Just make sure she has a way to get in contact with yo uat all times. never know what could go wrong with someone so old and fragile.

Hope this betters you, dude.

12. That's amazing man. Helping out family in need is always a great feeling, even when sacrificing your leisure time or time where you could otherwise be enjoying yourself.

If you're out there for 3 months and there's nothing but wilderness... I'd bring a fat sack with me, smoke out on the back parch and watch the sun go down every day. I'd stay away from electronics (I'm a gadget freak.) and get connected with nature. I'd use the time to find out new and exciting things that I may not even know were in me. A change in routine or atmosphere that large can definitely have a positive affect on the person depending on how they use their time. Just use your time constructively and stay focused... Make sure you have a goal to complete by the end of the three months, than work your ass off to get there (when you're not helping your grandma, of course)...

Either ways, +rep and good karma for being a good family member.

So many people forget - family comes first, before anything or anyone. It may suck to give up three months, but as I said you can use those three months as a learning experience and grow as a person, or you can also gain knowledge from your grandmother, I'm sure she has plenty of history to share or stories that you would want to know before she passes on herself. Really get to know her at the same time you learn more about yourself, or as you work toward some personal goal that you want to achieve while out there.

I'd love to have the money to the point where I could just break my blackberry, smash my laptop, cut the power and just roll out with a backpack and road not yet decided in which to travel on.

Sorry, for my ramblings.

I just think it's really great that you're giving up part of your time to spend with an individual who I'm sure will be more than grateful of what you're doing. It's hard work, and it may not always be clean - but family first.

You're awesome and I'm rambling.