Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

IL: House vote on MMJ bill today.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by boatsndhos024, May 23, 2010.

1. #1 boatsndhos024, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    SB 1381 has passed the Senate, Governor Pat Quinn says he will sign a MMJ bill if it reaches him, so the only thing that stands between Illinois and medical marijuana is the House. I have a pretty good feeling about this, but what do you guys think?

2. I really hope it does because for 1.) State ot IL could use the extra tax money that will acrue from it. 2.) This is just another step to decriminalization/legelization. Just one state at a time. 3.) Its about time the midwest gets into the whole MMJ. W/ having a state in the midwest a MMJ state others will look at it and see that there are more Pros to Cons.

Overgrow the Gov't!!!
    Bunga

3. i hope it passes so the midwest can get another state! then maybe ohio's will pass this comin november!

4. i really really hope it does pass, as a Illinoisian i think it would be amazing! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

5. We have the majority popular vote already so any polatician who votes against it is going to be on a lot of voters shit list come next election. Maby i'm being a bit optamistic here but it seems the anger of the people is finally being heard. We are through taking shit silently! If you are an elected official, you do what we say or its curtans for your ass. Kick rocks!

6. Come on!!! Come on!! COME ON!!

7. this one was supposed to be voted on earlier but was never put up because they knew they didnt have the votes to pass.

last i had heard they were 1 vote shy.

IL state police no longer oppose the bill, they are neutral.

show your support for this bill, contact your house representative and urge them to vote yes. 217-782-2000 or Contact Officials - NORML

8. #9 Storm Crow, May 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
    OK are you just going to sit there playing with your Wii? Or are you willing to DO SOMETHING!

You have 3 days! Tomorrow is Monday- there are a half dozen of you. Click the link in my sig and send everyone in the HOUSE a few MMJ articles (I'm not sure they can handle the studies, so stick with news articles :p ). All you need to write a couple sentences and do a copy and paste!-

This is one reason I feel you should vote YES on SB 1381

Pot Compound Protective Against ‘Mad Cow’ Disease, Other Fatal Brain Disorders, Study Says

September 13, 2007 - Valbonne, France Valbonne, France: The administration of the nonpsychoactive cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) inhibits prion accumulation in the brain and protects neurons against prion toxicity, according to preclinical data published in the September 5th edition of the Journal of Neuroscience.
    Prion accumulation (the accumulation of abnormal, protein-based infectious particles in the brain) is the cause of various transmissible, fatal neurodegenerative diseases in both humans and animals – including bovine spongiform encephalopathy (commonly known as ‘Mad Cow’ disease) and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. No therapeutic treatments for prion-diseases are currently available.
    Investigators at the National Center for Scientific Research in France reported that the administration of CBD "limited the cerebral accumulation of protease-resistant prion protein and significantly increased the survival time" in a dose-dependent manner in animals infected with a strain of prion disease.
    "Our results suggest that CBD may protect neurons against the multiple molecular and cellular factors involved in the different steps of the neurodegenerative process, which takes place during prion infection," authors concluded. "When combined with its ability to target the brain and its lack of toxic side effects, CBD may represent a promising new anti-prion drug."
    Previous preclinical studies of CBD have shown the compound to inhibit malignant cancer cell growth and protect neurons against alcohol-induced brain damage.
    Other studies have demonstrated that cannabinoids can delay disease progression in animal models of several neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease).

Pot Compound Protective Against

Thank you for your time,

______ ___________, a registered Illinois voter

That took about two minutes to do. You should have all your politicians emails bookmarked. Illinois General Assembly Home Page is one of many sites with this info.

Any of these articles will work- you don't have to all do the same one!

Pot is good for you? Marijuana fights the superbugs (news - 2008)
    News Blog: Pot is good for you? Marijuana fights the superbugs (MRSA kills 19,000 Americans every year!)

THC inhibits primary marker of Alzheimer's disease (news - 2006)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries (news - 2005)
    Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries

Medical marijuana news. Cannabidiol stops the spread of breast cancer.
    (news - 2010)
    http://www.examiner.com/x-19678-Cannabis-Revolution-Examiner~y2010m2d27-Medical-marijuana-news--Cannabidiol-stops-the-spread-of-breast-cancer

Cannabis extract makes brain tumors shrink, halts growth of blood vessels
    (news - 2004)
    Cannabis extract makes brain tumors shrink, halts growth of blood vessels

Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy (news - 2006)
    Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy

Study Confirms That Cannabis Is Beneficial for Multiple Sclerosis (news - 2009)
    Study confirms that cannabis is beneficial for multiple sclerosis

Medicinal Marijuana Effective For Neuropathic Pain In HIV, Study Finds
    (news - 2008)
    Medicinal Marijuana Effective For Neuropathic Pain In HIV, Study Finds

Hebrew U. Researchers Find Cannabis Can Strengthen Bones (news - 2006)
    Hebrew U. Researchers Find Cannabis Can Strengthen Bones - Good News - Israel News - Israel National News

Brazilian Scientists Show How Marijuana Can Help in Treating Parkinson
    (news - 2010)
    http://brazzilmag.com/lamvt/componen...parkinson.html

Marijuana could alleviate symptoms of PTSD (news - 2009)
    Marijuana could alleviate symptoms of PTSD | health

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005)
    Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

Marijuana-Related Health Costs Minimal Compared To Those Of Alcohol,
    Tobacco (news - 2009)
    Marijuana-Related Health Costs Minimal Compared To Those Of Alcohol, Tobacco

Cannabis Eases Post Traumatic Stress (news - 2006)
    CCRMG

By clicking the MMJ Studies in my link, you can get 150 pages (250 pages if you email me) of studies and articles. Get a few friends in on it and we'll have a thick stack of letters waiting for each representative!

OK, I can't type it up for you! You want that bill to pass? Get busy!

Granny :wave:

9. Sent, everyone else from Illinois should too!

10. #11 Feelin Irie, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
    HELL YES! THIS IS AMAZING! I hope this passes, I'm crossing my fingers.

Does anyone know what conditions are required to aquire mmj? Will bad exzema get a card? Had it forever, pretty annoying and stops me from getting a good night sleep many times. And the steriod cream things I'm perscribed just make it worse and make skin lesions :(.

Smoking has helped, not only with the unbearable itching and pain, but it seems to me like it's actually helped reduce it. I remeber reading somewhere the skin conditions like exzema can come from a lack of cannibinoids or something, am I right/wrong?

Thanks guys!
    EDIT: I just read up on the bill a bit,"Provides that when a person has been diagnosed by a physician as having a debilitating medical condition, the person and the person's primary caregiver may be issued a registry identification card by the Department of Public Health that permits the person or the person's primary caregiver to legally possess no more than 7 dried cannabis plants and 2 ounces of dried usable cannabis." Hmmm, will exzema count?

11. IM VERY VERY EXCITED!
    does anyone know how soon we will find out if it passes tomorrow?

12. #13 Kr0nik, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
    im sorry i dont understand the whole legislation process, but can some please explain to me what exactly is going on. I understand the senate has voted on the bill right already, but the house is voting on it now, and the voting will end on the 28th. That part i get, but what happens after that? Where does the bill go?

13. well it's more like the 28th, and most probably we can find out right away.

If the bill passes on this friday then it's going to go to governor Pat Quinn, and he's been saying he will sign a medical marijuana bill if it reaches his desk. The bill says the 'department' will have to set up rules and the process of the whole getting recommended by your doctor and getting state issued ids. etc etc. no later than July.

14. this is so exciting, the chance for MMJ to spread to my state :hello: even though i have no debilitating disease, its only time until the legislation is amended to include non dying patients, and hopefully the rest of the country will see the harmless of this natural plant and incite MMJ and even recreational legislation of their own. This is one small step foward in the battle to end this unjust prohibition!

15. we should also take some time to email some articles to everyone in the house using the links Granny gave.

16. Endocannabiniod Deficiency, yeah, that sounds like it! But the link doesn't seem to want to work for me =-/Do you have any idea about my earlier question about if I'll qualify for MMJ?

17. #19 Drivenone, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    Illinois State Police No Longer Oppose SB 1381

May 5, 2010, Springfield, IL: State Senator William Haine (D-Alton) and Rep. Lou Lang (D-Skokie) announced late Wednesday afternoon a breakthrough in the General Assembly's attempt to enact a bill permitting physicians to recommend patients use medical cannabis to treat their illnesses,

Haine met with Captain Timothy Becker of the Illinois State Police earlier and Becker informed him that the Illinois Department of State Police had changed its position of opposition to Senate Bill 1381, the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act. The State Police are now neutral and will no longer oppose the passage of the bill which is on Third Reading in the House.

Lang said he “was extremely gratified by the Department's change. We have crafted the most thoughtful, thorough and toughest bill in the nation. This legislation is intended to alleviate pain in people suffering debilitating medical conditions,” he said.

Haine said he believed the Department changed its position after carefully reviewing the legislation and considering the safeguards it encompasses that are designed to protect patients, caregivers and the public.

Haine also noted that in a number of states, police organizations have removed their objections after a period of observing their laws in operation.

“As a former State's Attorney, I have the greatest respect for the police organizations of our State and local governments. This change of position demonstrates what we have known all along, and that is that our State police organization is focused first and foremost on criminal activities as it relates to illegal substances,” Haine said,

“The State Police's compassion for the seriously ill matches our own, Lang noted. No one should be denied medicine that might improve the quality of their life,” Lang concluded.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 25 May 2010 )

Illinois NORML - Illinois State Police No Longer Oppose SB 1381

Sorry for the NO vote, We still don't have a budget and 13 billion in debt. Therefore can't have any start up programs. Just taking the logical approach. Of course I would like to see it pass. I would like to see the State take it further and outright legalize it's sale and taxation.

18. soo..did it not pass?