IL Decriminalization House Bill 4299

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by FrankTheTank28, Feb 1, 2014.

1. \t"Illinois: Marijuana Decriminalization Legislation IntroducedIllinois lawmakers have introduced House Bill 4299, that would make the possession of up to 30 grams of marijuana a petty offense, punishable by a fine of up to $100.
    Under present law, possession of marijuana under 30 grams is a criminal misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year of incarceration. HB 4299 would make possession of up to 10 grams of marijuana a petty offense punishable by a fine not exceeding $100. The first offense for possession of more than 10 grams, but less than 30 grams, would also be a petty offense punishable by a fine of up to $100.
    Subsequent offense for marijuana possession of quantities between 10 to 30 grams would be a Class A misdemeanor. (Present law currently classifies this offense as a Class 4 felony.) Possession of more than 30 grams, but less than 500 grams would be reclassified from a Class 4 felony to a Class A misdemeanor.
    HB 4299 also reduces penalties for the manufacture, delivery, or possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, or manufacture of less than 10 grams of marijuana from a Class A or B misdemeanor to a petty offense punishable by a $100 fine. Cultivation of not more than 5 marijuana plants would also be reclassified as a petty offense.
    You can read the full text of this measure here.
    Please visit NORML's 'Take Action Center' to contact your elected officials and urge them to support HB 4299:
    http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51046/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12958
    NORML will keep you updated as this legislation moves forward.
    Sincerely,
    The NORML Team

\t\t\t\tNORML and the NORML Foundation: 1600 K Street NW, Mezzanine Level, Washington DC, 20006-2832
    \t\t\t\tTel: (202) 483-5500 • Fax: (202) 483-0057 • Email: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='mailto:norml@[member="NORML"].org'>norml@[member="NORML"].org</a>\t\t"
    -Norml.org

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51046/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12958

One foot in the right direction. 

2. wow this sounds so great, I hope it passes

3. I hope this passes. Growing a petty offense? I'm all for it.

4. Hell yeah illinois.. Im tired of reading about all the other states people on here live in where they can freely choose to make a safer choice.. Im tired of feeling like a criminal in illinois.

God gave us all plants and animals for our use. Toke up !

5. there's already some citys in IL that it's just a fine.

6. Well Illinois is a shit state of course we are usually the last ones to do anything. Just like concealed carry we were the last state to get it out of all the others. I'm surprised they are doing medical marijuana this early and not later when everyone else has already done it. Oh well I've got 1 month left in this shit hole of a state anyways.

7. Lucky you man what area ya in?

8. Am i the only one excited about this news ? :huh:

9. About damn time. I really hope this passes for all my IL friends. I was busted twice when I lived there and got bent over both times. One of the reasons I moved to Colorado.

10. De-crim doesn't do a damn thing. Ask the states that have had it for over 30 years already. It's just a different form of prohibition.

11. I would agree but those states put it that way for a reason. Ca decrim law is simalar and I think it works well. Not like the crap Perry is trying to pull in Texas. If people are not going to jail for having an oz of weed while not being taxed out the ass In a " legal" market. I am all for it.

12. Located in central IL close to Bloomington

13. #13 FrankTheTank28, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
    Nobody should be busted.

floating_by, I cannot really agree with the states that I have been to. Decriminalization bills do impact the community. Citizens that live in states with more sensible cannabis laws are better off. If you will, compare Oklahoma with California.Even with these bills introduced, it does not mean that one will be immune from being arrested from a cannabis related offense. While I do agree it is still another form of prohibition.

14. I guess we're going in the right direction

We are legion!

15. Very true.
    However, with it being a state issue I think that's even more helpful, that way vindictive cops will have less options in throwing the book at someone, ya know?

I'm still not a fan of decriminalization but I'll support any small step in the right direction in this corrupt state.

16. Lived in Illinois for 28 years before moving out to Nor Cal 4 years ago. Good to see things going a step in the right direction. Not perfect but better then what it currently is. That being said yeah IL sucks hahaha Nor Cal 4 life.