If you were a Famous Musician...

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by HarryPotthead, Aug 21, 2005.

1. What would be more annoying?

Having People sing/play your songs out of tune?

Or getting the words wrong?

2. i'd just be thankful for people listening to my shit, even if they were playing out of tune or singing the wrong words... atleast they're trying.

3. tru dat

4. honestly, I don't think I would want someone to cover my stuff If I was a musician. I mean, I know it's flattering to have someone cover a song of yours, but I know I would never cover a song If I had a band. I think song writing is an art, and it kind of annoys me when a band covers something and releases it and makes money off that song. Even though they pay royalties to the original song writer, it's still not right.

be original

5. ^i disagree, well cuz 311 has done some awesome covers. and its one of the most original bands out there. to name a few covers dyer maker by led zepplin, white man in hammersmith palais by the clash, and everyone knows love song by the cure. awesome songs, but hey thats just me.

6. :cool: :cool: :cool: As a musician and songwriter, here's my humble opinion.............

Playing my tunes , or singing them out of key just shows their lack of talent LOL

getting the lyrics wrong is a supreme insult, :cool: as it shows a lack of respect and understanding of the "message" of the song! :smoke: :smoke:

7. I agree with that.... and this had nothingto do with bands playing your songs... I just mean every day regular people just singin to them selves ya know?

8. getting the words wrong, lyrics are important

9. I'd be happy that anyone knew my tunes.

I wouldn't be very annoyed by either option, but of the two, "getting lyrics wrong" would probably be more annoying, just because it shows they don't care enough to learn the words. Playing wrong, as someone mentioned, just shows that they aren't very good.

10. fuck yeah man! i hate when people dont get it right. but then again, its easier for us to get it because we wrote it. :).

haha, but at least they listening...but they dont hear us. :(

11. [quote name='linuxmann']honestly, I don't think I would want someone to cover my stuff If I was a musician. I mean, I know it's flattering to have someone cover a song of yours, but I know I would never cover a song If I had a band. I think song writing is an art, and it kind of annoys me when a band covers something and releases it and makes money off that song. Even though they pay royalties to the original song writer, it's still not right.

I get your point but when you think about the history of music in general there is so much that is ripped off, and probably things you know and like. Take for instance Gangsters paradise by coolio. That song is stolen from sevie wonder as is "higher ground" by RHCP. The fact is that music has been ripped off and will continue to be forever. Especially this day its so hard to do sumthing new and original becuase there are so many other people trying to do the same thing. And music has evolved so much in the last 10 years its getting harder and harder to be new or original. Besides you have to copy someone at some point. You cant just pick up a guitar one day and be better than Hendrix. You have to start by copying someone or being taught, then you listen to msuic and find your style and then once your proficent enough, you can start to do your own thing. Its like anything else i guess, you gotta be a newbie at some point.

But i would have to say getting the lyrics wrong would piss me off most. I really hate it when people misquote movies. I have a super good memory and it makes me mad when ppl try to qoute a funy family guy line or some song and get it so terribly wrong. It looses its point if you get it wrong.