Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

If you owned a business, would you hire yourself?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by tubro, Aug 18, 2009.

1. I had a friend (a daily smoker) ask me for a job the other day, and it got me thinking.

I got off easy because I didn't have any openings for him. If I did have a job to give him though, I'm not sure that I could hire him. The job would include driving, and being responsible for a company vehicle. I know for a fact that he smokes and drives. Something that I simply could not in good conscience allow, nor do I ever do myself.

If I could give him a job sitting at a desk or behind a counter, no problem. I happen to know that he is a good, responsible, and honest person. I just couldn't hire him do do the job that he asked for. It made me feel a bit hypocritical, (being a smoker myself) but at the same time I know it would be wrong to give him a driving job simply because of the liability involved.

Anybody have thoughts on this? I'd like to hear them (without flames)

2. i agree with you 100%. you would be risking both your buddy's safety and the success of your business. i'm sure if he got into an accident (even if it wasn't his fault) and he was found to be DUI, then it would come back to bite you in the ass...hard. running a business involves taking risks...but the fewer and less dangerous those risks are, the better for everyone.

3. If he's a good guy like you say and you think he'd do a good job I would just have him promise not to smoke on the job. If he still does it's his business and whatever happens is on him.

4. I agree. As my mother owns a business and she smokes she won't hire a person who she believes or knows they smoke if they will use any of her equipment. (Tractors and 18 wheeler's) Like you said though if it a desk job or cashier it no problem.

5. well you could tell him not to smoke while he is on the job since it requires driving and if he does fire him that what i'd do

6. Like the others are saying if you could trust him to not be high on the job then I think it would be fine.

7. well it would be hard to enforce that though right? i mean he could do wahtever he wanted in the car and the smell would disappear. and yes i would hire myself, i'm very respectable :).

8. I agree with the decision you made, to put it simply.

Would I hire myself? If it involved manual labor or outdoor work, then no. I'm a bitch when it comes to all of that stuff, and I frequently look for excuses not to do those types of jobs. I wouldn't trust myself to do a thorough job consistently enough to warrant a hire, when there are plenty of other hardworking people who'd do a better job than me, and enjoy it more. It's just not my skill set, everything about me was meant for the indoors, except for my love of golf.

Other than that, though, I would.

9. I'm a business owner. I don't have any employees, but I will occasionally hire an assistant for special projects. I just wouldn't hire a friend, period.

a. friends and business don't mix.

b. i really don't want to know and don't care (for the most part) what my employees do during their spare time. All I care about is that they show up on time, and do their job professionally- which means not being high.

10. I like the replies so far. You guys seem to grasp the situation pretty well. I don't actually have an opening for him at the moment so it's really a non issue.

I just wanted to know how other smokers would handle it. I am a smoker myself, and would never discriminate against another cannabis user. That said however, I don't smoke and drive. Even thought some say they do so quite well, I choose not to. I especially wouldn't do it on the clock.

11. yeah its nice to have that control
    i work for my father, with that being said
    i never have smoked at work nor i plan
    on it.
    only shit i take is adderall and that makes me
    wired.

but yes i would hire myself
    i love working with my hands
    and getting paided for it?
    fuck ya.

12. Do you plan on accompanying this with music? ;)

13. What it comes down to is good ol' fashioned responsibility, professionalism, and eagerness (or maybe just willingness) do get the job done to the best of one's ability. If a person smokes but still demonstrates those qualities, then why not hire them?

14. very good point.

15. I would hire 10 of me! I'm hard worker!