If you only used 3 amendments for your soil, what would they be?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Beast Mode, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Hey there,

I’m looking to do my first grow KISS style, and was wondering what the most important basic amendments would be possible to get away with.

I would top dress in the future to add more to it as I go along.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Perlite
    Chicken manure
    Sulfur dust

It's all I've used for several years now.

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  3. [​IMG]
    Feel free to choose any 3. And you can mix them up on your top feeds as you go. I had some kale, spinach and dandelion greens go bad in my fridge before I could juice them so I'll be drying them out, grinding them up, and applying them to my containers

• Like Like x 1
  4. What medium are you using?

5. I’ll be using soil.

6. The most important ingredient is your hummus. As coot used to say, you cant amend your way to good soil, get your humus component right and the rest will fall in place. Having said that, IMO if you want to go organic, and are going through the trouble of mixing your own soil, do yourself a favor and don't do it half-assed.
    Follow one of the recipes and mix a proper and balanced organic soil. You only need to do this once, so don't put yourself in a position a few months later when you discover that your soil is lacking and your plant arent doing well.

Think of what the final product is worth to you and what are you willing to invest in order to get what you want. Investing in making your own soil is something that will not only pay for itself come your first harvest, but also save you a lot of work in the future.

A couple of threads to get your started if you want to learn more:
    Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners
    No-Till Gardening: Revisited

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ta answer your question as asked, I would probably use bio-live, neem meal, kelp meal.

I know the bio-live is probably cheating, but it's got a really good mix of organic ammendments.
    I would cheat more and add alfalfa too. Loaded with good stuff besides the nitrogen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. my suggestions though we are having to deal with semantics, i.e. amendment vs 'fertilizer' (elements).

any of the espoma dry organic products but specifically the biotone product which will provide all 6 macro elements. read the label of any product you choose. (fertilizer)

top quality ewc. no junk. (amendment, soil conditioner)

true norwegian kelp, ascophyllum nodosum for all the micronutrients. (fertilizer)

i would also add some hardwood fines or composted pine bark depending on your location (amendment)

if those were my only choices those are the three + one that i would go with.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1

9. Thanks, I know there are lots of amendments that you can add to soil, I’m trying to see what people feel are the most important core amendments and then build on them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. you should start with learning baseline terminology if you're going to ask open ended questions.

there are sometimes differences in understanding certain words. for instance, a soil conditioner is as different from a soil amendment as is a soil amendment is as different than a fertilizer. words matter. if you want to start with the "core amendments" start with the 15 elements ( "fertilizer") that all plants require to grow healthy and build from there.

that's my nickels worth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Organic Auto grower

Attached Files:

12. Thanks for correcting me. My question still stands.

13. Biggest plants ive ever seen were by a dude called 912greenskell.
    5kg monsters grown in nothing but composted horse manure with lime.
    He cheated and used a liquid pk or something during bloom but still 3 ingredients lol. Google him though, scary big plants for just a big ol hole full of horse shit

14. OP let me ask you this, why limit yourself to three ingredients? IMO if you are going to make your own soil might as well do it right.
    It's like trying to make a guacamole with only three ingredients, it may look like guac but it won't be.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. He is asking what people think are the three most important they would use, he is not saying he is limiting himself to three. Just looking for good starting points. Relax.

My next test grow is Biobizz light with horse manure and egg shells. At the moment I cannot compost anything, so building my own base is not an option.

16. The problem is your question is so vague it’s nearly impossible to answer. Someone asked what medium you were using and your answer was “soil”. Really?

At this point I wouldn’t doubt that you are actually making a peat-based soil-less mix.

Indoors or outside? Kinda a big deal.

Are we truly talking about amendments? Or are we talking about any material used to make a “soil” or soil-less mix?

If you want good answers...ask good questions.
    RD
    My answer in the form the question was asked is humanure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. You guys seem to be in a bad mood today :-(
    You are scaring people away with your attitude towards honest questions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. not really. this was my first response before pointing out more directly that "words matter".

it seems like that answered the op as it was originally interpreted. further commentary was intended to assist not demean. sometimes the lessons seem harsh (wax on/wax off), but to build a repeatable, successful, hobby, grow-bro program, one has to have a solid foundation to build it upon. that starts with the basics - terminology. otherwise, a grow-bro-mofo will be running around lost unable to understand the language being spoken to guide him to effortless, repeatable, success.

no harm, no foul, only good vibes.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Naturally they matter. But when a person is just starting out and wants to learn more, I think people should be able to understand that no-one knows the lingo from day one. Or maybe some people were just born with the knowledge?

I might use totally wrong words, because English is not my native language, but I write in your language, and I bet none of you could do that in mine :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. and THAT explains why @Possuum took the time and effort and CARE so that the the OP can actually know and understand the proper terms or "lingo". that way his question can be more direct and therefore the answers he is seeking will be more direct and beneficial to him.

I don't see a single reply to the OP that *I* would consider rude or mean in any way, just trying to be helpful and informative

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1