if you had to...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by KyungYi, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hey GC need some quick advice.

If you had to cover a approx. 40X40x77 area what wattage of MH would you use???

400w, 600w, or 1000w?
    No this is not a test. Lol!

Thanks
    -Kyung Yi

2. 40x40x77 is not an area, it's a volume.

What is the area?

And what units -- inches, cm, feet?

3. I think he's using area in it's general sense, not the mathematical definition. I also assume the units are in inches because those are some ridiculous wattages to attempt if it was in centimeters.

So..

If it's inches that's 3.33 ft width and length so roughly 11 ft^2. I would use a 600 watt in that space. 1k would be a little overkill imo.

4. Unless the height is 40 and one of the sides is 77, in which case it is practically double.

I am annoyed when I have to make assumptions to answer someone's question, it would be a lot easier if they were just clear in the first place...

5. Yea sorry the measurement are in inches.
    Toasty, u can choose just not to answer if you're so annoyed. I'm sorry my knowledge isn't where yours seems to be at. next time feel free to just not answer if you're so annoyed.
    thanks for the answer laylow appreciate it!

-Kyung Yi

6. Height is 77 inches and the sides are 40 inches by 40 inches.

7. ^That's all you needed to say in the first place.

8. Depends how many plants you want to put in there, but if you want to fill that space then go with the 1kw, that's about 90w per sq ft.

9. I agree with toasty, 1000W all day. 600W if heat is a major issue but if you can, go with the thowie.