If you had to recommend one book

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TheAtmansPath, Dec 15, 2011.

1. about economics, that would explain things to a beginner, what would it be?

I'd like to know more about the austrian theory, if that helps your recommendation.

I see things posted like Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt, and Road to Serfdom, but before I buy either...

What would you gents suggest?

2. Calvin and Hobbes. :D

3. It's impossible to restrict the theory of libertarianism with simply 'economics'

4. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Meltdown-Free-Market-Collapsed-Government-Bailouts/dp/1596985879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323926836&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse (9781596985872): Thomas E. Woods Jr., Ron Paul: Books[/ame]

[​IMG]

Short, yet concise. Good for a starting point.

5. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/How-Economy-Grows-Why-Crashes/dp/047052670X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323931654&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes (9780470526705): Peter D. Schiff, Andrew J. Schiff: Books[/ame]

[​IMG]

Imo no other single book will enable a person to grasp economic concepts as well as this one (as a first book that is).

Economics in One Lesson is great, but I'd read it second, not first.

6. No need for a book.

Economies are very simple things.

supply/demand sets a value, people pay a value on all things based on this...

payment is in items or a standardize currency (currency that is backed by a rare item is best in many opinions, but can be backed by grain, meat, leather)

now lets introduce some outside unrelated changes (fiat currency, greed, hoarding, bribery, buying political power to ensure wealth gains) to that basic formula of S/D and you no longer have a viable economy...inflation soars, unemployment soars, poverty soars, and the masses get pissed and remove the entities responsible...

The complicated parts are all based on how the greedy preditory types can screw over someone, to make more then they are due, based on S/D=value. Complicated so those thieves can wiggle about (like the forked tongued serpents they are) distract and convince sheeple all is well, and it is the right thing to do...

See...isn't that easy...:D

7. Ooooo thanks for the share of books you guys!

8. Economics in one lesson by Hazlitt. It's not that long of a read. Also, it is probably available for free online.

9. There is an abridged version of the Road to Serfdom; which is great material for grazing the surface on major issues.

If you want to read a lot, here is one:

[​IMG]

10. That's a fucking long book, I tell ya. Over 1,000 page. People don't have that kind of attention span.

11. Speak for yourself. My attention span is fucking aweso...ooh a piece of candy! :D

Economics in One Lesson was my first. What Has Government Done to Our Money? (Rothbard) was #2.

12. Hey, don't steal my candy from my van. You have to buy it! Well, since you stole it, I'mma going have to chop your hands off.

Yeah, I have the book, I just don't have the chance to read it. I'm currently reading Human Action, only 200 pages so far and it took me like 4 months to read. >.>

13. I would agree with Xmas and say Meltdown by Tom Woods Jr. :)

14. You want to know more about Austrian theory, yet your avatar is of Che Guevara. The irony.

Austrian economists won't explain economics for a beginner. I recommend Economics by Paul Krugman and Robin Wells. Explains economics in realistic terms. It shows how Austrian economics is a failed hypothesis.

15. Yet your idol Krugman thinks our economy can be saved by an alien invasion and actively encouraged Greenspan in the development of the housing bubble.

Not the best source for advice on the economy.

16. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. [​IMG]

^Because the economy is doing so well right now.

18. Who said he was my idol? Was this subject not about the economy? His book explains the economy best. They teach from his textbook in colleges.