If you had to choose one or the other, what would you choose

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Rotties4Ever, Aug 21, 2011.

1. #1 Rotties4Ever, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
    Japan

Or

Sharks and Whales.

The japanese are hunting sharks and whales to extinction.
    At this rate, its clear that soon sharks will fucking disappear and whales will follow suit.

So its clear sharks and whales sadly cannot co-exist with Japan, who knows maybe the earthquake is a sign.
    Its astonishing to me, how technologically advanced Japan is, yet they are so narrow minded.

edit- so if you had to choose, with which option is the whole world better of with, meaning the most amount of lives benefit (not just humans)

2. "wtf is this? Do. I get to ask one or the other?

Japan

Ice cream
    Or
    Soda

3. ice cream

tomato
    or tomato

did i do that right?

4. The global economy would go to shit without Japan.

Without wales and sharks the food chain might be a bit shaken up but other than that we'd be entirely fine.

The choice seems so obvious...

5. Western domination/imperialism or coexisting?

6. eventually it'd catch up to us i think. ive never been too deep in marine biology/ecosystems but everything on land has a function. we couldnt live w/o ants, etc.
    my guess would be the eventual overpopulation of krill n fish, the fish probly wouldnt be too bad, especially over there(depending on the species), but too much krill might not be good.
    they should probly lay off, but people are assholes n dont care. not eating whales/sharks wont kill them.

7. #8 Rotties4Ever, Aug 21, 2011
    I seriously seriously doubt that....
    A marine biologist disagrees
    "ecologically devestating, look up the effects of the loss of top predators to an ocean ecosystem on google, then look at the scientific papers you bring up. there are so many examples of people irresponsibly trying to alter ecosystems to make them more human friendly, the world doesn't work that way.

sharks exert a top down control on a food web, so taking them out would cause the animals that they eat to increase in population. but this would then mean that what those animals eat would decrease in population and what they eat would then increase in population etc etc etc down the food chain.

this knock on effect has been shown when removing top predator shark species and actually resulted in pretty much destroying a marine habitat. top sharks decreased, so intermediate predators increased, octopuses decreased, urchins and star fish increased and destroyed the reef community.

removing such an important predator always has knock on effects as they are so hard to compensate for in a natural environment. hope that helps"

I was watching a special on discovery a while back, or was it history channel?
    I think it was history.
    The was called "life after humans or something"
    and there was a scientist (I assume he was/is at least more educated then you or me to make this statement) he said something along the lines of "if something small like ants disappeared entire biological systems would collapse which would result in not only us a species slowly dying, but a shit load of other organisms.

The thread is about which is better for the greater good, not just humans and their arrogance and financial bullshit, which matter so very little in the grand scheme of things.
    Priorities. Some people got them. Some are concerned about financial stability.

edit- oh ya in case there is some confusion , the global economy is shit. With or without Japan.
    When you have a shit load of elite banking cartels fucking around with the world economy to suit the need of the few, and a bunch of complacent humans putting up with it, of course the economy would be shit.

8. ^ because of that post i just said, I think we need to take action against Japan because when they fuck sharks and whales they are essentially putting a lot of other shit in danger and its not their call and right to make.
    I hope all those fools that hunt to extinction get fucking shot point blank.

9. I'd keep Japan. I've eaten shark; it tastes like chicken. So NBD if we lose 'em...

10. ALSO, it isn't JUST Japan who is to blame. Keep in mind, AMERICA is the world's biggest polluter. Pollution is killing many species, including marine life.

Besides, Japan doesn't have much farmland. Only 13% (learned in a college course) of the Japanese islands is productive farmland. Either they depend on imports, or fish the oceans. Perhaps OVERPOPULATION is to blame.

11. that is beside the point.
    percentages dont mean shit, when one fucking country is killing off entire species (more then one species) dont get me started on fucking china and deforestation

12. The whole human population has been killing off different species for probably a thousand+ years now. Sure Japan can be blamed for overfishing, but we can't?

Doubtful, we (U.S.) over-crab and over-fish as much as any other country. Sure whaling is banned in the U.S.?, but 150 years ago we had a slaughter fest that probably didn't help the whales much either..

anyway my votes Japan I love Japanese women.:D

13. #14 myoung7189, Aug 21, 2011
    An entire country vs all the whales and sharks in the world?

I value people more than animals, so I voted to exist with Japan. This world has had quite a few animals go extinct and we still seem to be fine in terms of predator prey relations. Ever heard of the dinosaurs? OMG we lost the top of the food chain!!! Chill, nature has a way of working these things out.

14. Again, you dodge the fact that the USA is a main contributor to decline in biodiversity. Why should we just target Japan, when what we're doing worldwide is many times worse?

15. There's many oceans for sharks/whales to live in.

I guess I'll take the japanese

New poll:

Americans
    or
    Cows

16. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: