If you don't want to hear it then don't ask me!!!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by marathon1, Jun 29, 2010.

1. #1 marathon1, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    Look I live in Mobile and do not know a single other Atheist. At first my friends did question my beliefs but the answers I gave them only made them uncomfortable and upset.

Yesterday my friend asked what original sin was and I responded "I think it's the idea that everyone is born with sin because of Adam and Eve eating from the tree"

of course I went on a bit more, "kinda of funny though since Adam and Eve probably never even existed and even if they did they were not the first Humans"

His girlfriend next to him got pissed and he realized he shouldn't have asked because they all hate to question their faith, the best person out their to make one question their faith is an Atheist friend lol.

She said "Why do you ask yourself questions like that, It's funny, I don't ask myself questions like that."

I said that is because you think unquestioned faith is a virtue, they both nodded agreeing. I didn't go one step further though, I wanted to say "while I know unquestioned faith is bullshit and questioned faith is the virtue".

another person I know has been pestering me lately about religion, I only actually converse with him because it is very entertaining (he is a young earth creationist). I finally got annoyed with him though and stopped talking with him.

Tonight he began to pester me again, this time I just told him off though. He asked for it. I said "religion is bullshit." He said "you better watch what you say." I promptly said "then stop talking to me, you began to discuss religion with me but always get upset with my opinions."

I really got him though, He always says government is bad because it controls people. I told him "religion is a brilliantly fabricated way to exert control on people and profit of off them".

He never responded lol.

Feel free to share your stories about discussions with morons. It doesn't matter if your a Christian arguing with an Atheist or vice versa.

2. He always says government is bad because it controls people. I told him "religion is a brilliantly fabricated way to exert control on people and profit of off them".

He wouldnt of appreciated that statement :D

3. I can relate with this. I tend to walk on eggshells unless someone actually asks me about something religious. The toughest time I have is with my girlfriends family. They are pretty hardcore about religion. I'll do the hand holding thing for prayer, but I won't bow my head or say amen. I always hold my tongue when the subject comes up because I don't want her parents hating me, lol.

But, if it's good friends, it's best to stay away from the discussion unless you are militant about it. I am on here because I don't know any of you fuckers, haha.

4. I have learned to avoid the subject all together around some friends. My best friend is very Christian. He is actually one of those good Christians though and I do hope there is a Heaven (as long as there is no Hell for me :)) for him because he would deserve it. I hate talking about it around him because he cares so much for it and doesn't pressure it on me whatsoever.

5. I hate fucking discussing philosophy with people who have religious hard-on's. Simply because they dont question things. And questioning/debating is the root of philosophy. The point of faith is too hold faith no matter what. You can give them input, but they'll end getting mad because they cant argue stuff that is rational and logical.

Thing is if they bring it up, prepare to be shot down.

Thing is me I feel very strong about my ideas, so it would very improbably for me to get with someone who feels the same way but with religious ideas. Unless eventually they learn to think for themselves and get common sense.

6. Nice story, here goes. I once took up both sides of the argument to ensure everyone would understand what is truly at stake, so I argued no one could prove God's existence, and they tried to prove he was real with the bible, I then told them the fallacy and told them to prove he isn't real, they just fell off the whole idea and began calling me hypocritical because they missed the whole entire point, You can't prove it one way or another. More later.