If You Could, Would You Choose To Eat Only When You Wanted To, Not When Youre Hungry?

Discussion in 'General' started by Matticus, May 25, 2013.

1. These things are a trend, a gimmick, and crap. The only reason you should use things like these and even vitamins in general is for the nutrients you don't get from real food on a daily basis. 

2. theres no food like food 

3. The creator has been living off of this almost entirely for 4 months.

And tons of people have lived on just water for months. 

5. Well he hasn't just lived.  He and other people who are testing this for him have nothing but great things to say about how much better they feel than before. Also Rob (creator) has had regular doctor checkups and analysis proving that he is in better health than when he started.

6. Well he doesn't exactly look like the pinnacle of health. Interesting idea though, and would probably work fine if that's what you're into. Some people make smoothies with most of that in it anyway.

Also, most physically active, not pigme, humans require more than 1,500 calories a day... I eat more than that daily when I start "cutting" weight. That said, you could just ingest more of this stuff/food if you wanted. Cool idea though, surprised there isn't a bigger "all in one food/drink" market.

7. I'm gonna stay a carnivore, looks like a good supplement though

8. Couldnt you use this and eat food to gain weight? 

9. I don't see why you couldn't.

Think of it this way.  You could spend $5 on breakfast, $8 on lunch, and $10 on dinner.  

Once the Soylent company is able to buy in massive amounts, which they will be able to do after this crowdfunder, the cost should probably drop to $30-$40 for a week's worth of meals, maybe even less $$$ than that.  That's about $1.50 per meal.

Now let's redo some math.

Now you can spend $3 on breakfast and lunch combined, and use that extra $10 to buy a nickel bag and get a nice $15 dinner instead.  

Extrapolate that to a week, and you're saving $70 a week, or $3,640 a year only replacing 2/3rds of your meals with Soylent.

10. #30 Pickle McSmurf, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
    I'm not down with cannibalism, sorry :confused_2:

11. Really though, they are offering free samples in the future.  You should at least try it for a day or so.

12. dude wtf is ur avatar, look like nasty nut dick

13. This is actually quite interesting. 

I wonder if there are any adverse reactions that happen down the line due to it being made entirely chemically? 

But yeah, interesting. I'd try it out for a while if more research goes in to it and it's deemed safe n shit. 

14. #34 Dryice, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
    Hrm... 95% of the time I feel like I just eat when I'm hungry. Very very very seldom do I eat out of boredom or anything.

15. Wow...this does look very interesting.  I would definitely try it.  I could stand to lose a few pounds and am pretty inactive so 1,500 calories would probably be perfect for me.

16. Well, how often is "only when I wanted"? Are we talking only eating out of absolute necessity, because as good as food is I would totally cut myself off from it altogether if it was possible. Fuck getting fat. I wish we could just eat once a month, that would be the greatest.

17. Well, you would have to ingest Soylent on a regular basis, but food is not necessary.  You could eat "regular" food however little you want.

18. I think his earlier mix had 1500 calories.  The newer one has a bit more as the mix is currently in the testing phase and he is trying out different things trying to get the optimal mix.

19. unfortunately for me, I made a post before reading or viewing the video. It looks like a cool product, something I could totally get behind. On the site, it says 26 days, is that how long before it gets released or for something else? I'm actually feeling good about this, that I will probably make a small donation next month. Thanks for sharing, OP!

20. That's when the crowd funding campaign is over, and they will ship those in august.