If you could time travel...

Discussion in 'General' started by The Crunge, Jul 15, 2012.

1. #1 The Crunge, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
    ...but could only pick traveling to the future or the past, and couldn't switch, what would you pick, and why?

If you pick future for instance, you could time travel to any time in the future you want, and travel back to the present, and travel to another date in the future. You just can't go to the past.

Same if you pick the past. Any dates in the past that you want including the present.

I would go with the past. 60's first, then WWII, then the industrial revolution, then the french revolution, then the stone age. Then back home because I love history and the past is just fascinating.

2. Future. The past sucked.

3. Future probably, I'd be too scared to change the past and end up dead in the present by killing a mosquito accidentally.

Also if I could go to the future I could find out stocks and whatnot and then prepare in the present for those events. It'd basically be like having psychic powers.

4. [quote name='"Demiurge"']Future. The past sucked.[/quote]

the future is made from the past. who's to say the future will be any better?

5. The future has modern medicine/technology. And by traveling to the future if there were to ever be any major worldwide disasters and civilization had to start over it would be just like the past. So it would be like two in one :smoke:

6. Future all day. Win every horserace, card game, or anything involving wagering money. Oh especially stocks, like that guy said. Id be set for life

7. Travel back become a shaman in an indian tribe

8. There would be a lot more benefits of the future than the past, so I'm going to say the future. I could do a lot of good things and guide humanity into a better way of life, you would automatically become the most powerful man on the planet.

9. I'd do future just because I don't know anything about it, as opposed to already knowing a lot about the past.

Although it would be easier to figure out where you wanted to go in the past since you have more of a reference.

10. Since I am already "time traveling" into the future with every tick of the clock then I would pick the past.

11. #11 Bombur, Jul 15, 2012
    Definitely past. the future is looking more and more awful... Watch, I'd pick future and then find out the world ends in 50 years in a nuclear show down. At least going to the past I know I could pick cool times/places to go.

I'd go be a fucking pioneer

Edit: to those saying you could get rich off picking the future, you could do the same picking the past.. Look up the winning lottery number for yesterday, go back and play it, $$$

12. Past...like way back. When times were simpler. Not easier but simpler. Back when people actually had real relationships with other people, when neighbors looked out for neighbors, when people filled their lives with friends and not material possessions, when our government was ruled by the citizens not the other way around. When kids respected their elders. When parents actually parented.

Yeah, that sounds good to me.

13. I would take sword lessons and shit now, go back in time and be a awesome bc no one would fuck with me bc I was a master swordsman and maye bowman, go around and get in sword fights but do it under a mysterious name and face so I'm in the history books with out fuckingup the future too much

14. [quote name='"Bombur"']Definitely past. the future is looking more and more awful... Watch, I'd pick future and then find out the world ends in 50 years in a nuclear show down. At least going to the past I know I could pick cool times/places to go.

I'd go be a fucking pioneer

Edit: to those saying you could get rich off picking the future, you could do the same picking the past.. Look up the winning lottery number for yesterday, go back and play it, $$$[/quote]

good point. Past would be pretty dope too

15. #15 CannaChick, Jul 15, 2012
    I don't believe that you could change the present by going to the past. Say you go and change an event in the past... as you travel back to present everything would be the same.The future isn't going to just magically change. Anyone see The Time Travelers Wife? That's how I believe time traveling would work. If you haven't you can look up the time travel concept of the book or movie and see what I'm talking about. It seems pretty logical so I would probably choose the future if I wanted to control aspects of the present but for fun I'd love to go back to many different times of the past.

16. I'm confused, how would changing the future, change the present(which would be the past relative to the future)?

You could go back in time, win lottery because you know what the # will be, then put it in an account, use in the info when you go back to the present to access it. I have seen the time travelers wife and idk how the time travel in that movie creates a conflict

17. I'd choose the past. Ancient civilizations seem pretty badass to me. Plus I like the idea of winning the lottery whenever I want. haha

18. I'd go back to, oh about 1939 - and pick up some mint condition comics from the news stand, then I'd go to a bank that I know will be around and put them in a safe deposit box.

I'd do it with Baseball Cards from the 50's too. And I'd bet on a few sporting events.

19. [quote name='"Bombur"']

I'm confused, how would changing the future, change the present(which would be the past relative to the future)?
    [/quote]

He wouldn't change the future. He could go to the future and see what events from "the present" we're significant. He could then return to the preset and try to alter the timeline in some way to prevent bad things in the future.

The concepts of past, present, and future are completely subjective. Our perception of time as conscious entities is not the true nature of time. Time travel to the past is impossible anyway. But based on your velocity you can actually move I to the future slightly faster than people without an equal velocity. A time machine to the future is very possible (a space ship traveling at near the speed of light) but the return trip wouldn't be possible.

Imagine going all HG Wells on that and just skipping the next 2.5 million years.

Good old' relativity.

20. Hi DirtyApe, You can still get that in small town America. Virtually in every state. But especially in places like Alaska & the midwest were neighbors do indeed look out for eachother.

If I could time travel it would be to pre goldrush California or Alaska. If I was actually young enough to prospect for gold the way I used too.
    Cheers:D