If you could see atoms with your naked eye

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Tabrias, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Do you think we'd have the ability to look past them?

Like, if you were sitting in your room chilling, looking towards the corner of your room, but then all of a sudden you can't see it–just the billions of air molecules before your eyes...

2. Our general view of everything wouldn't change. We would see through air for the same reasons we can now - the massive amounts of space not occupied by condensed molecules. We could focus on one in midair, but the effect of being able to see these would be no more than the lightest of fog.

3. To see atoms you would need to have extremely magnified vision. LIke, absolutely, rediculously magnified. So you would lose all perspective and everything, because it would be like walking around with an electron microscope attached to your face.

4. haha i always thought it would be cool if i could zoom in with my eyes... like a video camera, zoom in and out... haha

5. double post gahhh

6. dudeeee + rep for asking that, its something that i've asked all my friends many times and they are just like, your a fucking retard, haha. its just mad cool to think about!

7. Man, think about it, an atom is a tiny nucleus surrounded by a proportionally huge "bubble" of empty space with tiny-ass electrons buzzing around in there. An atom's nucleus would essentially look like a little star/planet or black hole.

8. it would be creepy because atoms are 1 little thing, surrounded by a huge space. i would assume i would fall through the floor.

9. atoms themselves are mostly empty space, most matter is empty space, so we would see nothing really, unless we could control the zoom like someone said.

10. This question isn't asking so much about the technical difficulties of seeing atoms to me, but asking what is beyond them.

I think that everything is infinitely complex, so you could expect to see the particles making up those atoms, and beyond that the particles (or strings) making up those, and so forth on in to infinity.

If you were a person small enough to stand on an atom, what would the situation be? What would you think of the "atoms" that made up your body?