if you could bring one music artist back to life

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by ytfghmjb, Jun 3, 2009.

1. your a "no-brainer" you have absolutely no way of knowing that and no way to prove it.

here,
    John Petrucci of Dream Theater sites his influences as:

Toni Iomi, Jimmy Page, Pete Townsend, Iron Maiden (too many changes to cite one), Alex Lifeseon, Steve Howe, Randy Rhoads, Steve Morse, Al Di Meola, Allan Holdsworth, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

NO MENTION OF HENDRIX.

pretty sure if you raised hendrix from the dead and put him against Mr.Petrucci, John would RAPE him like a blind white girl in Harlem.

2. well no shit. things are way more complex now a days, playing wise. Hendrix WAS an innovator though. Just because Petrucci isn't influenced by him doesn't mean Hendrix didn't do anything special. he definitely started something. is he better than say, Jimmy Page? no, but Hendrix came first so, I consider him to be somewhat of an innovator.

3. he told me to cite one good guitar player from the present whos not influenced by hendrix

and i delivered.

you gotta admit though that hes pretty over rated.

4. yeah, he's insanely overrated but i still enjoy his music a lot. and sorry i didn't know what he asked of you lol.

5. ya. its fun when people make claims that they cant possibly back up. :)

6. Kurt Cobain!!!

does anyone remember Smells Like Teen Spirit? huh? do you?

7. sid vicious anyone?
    [​IMG]

8. Good Grief. LET IT GO! Hendrix wasn't that great! You wanna hear some good music go and buy a fuckin' Frank Zappa CD! As a matter of fact buy the freak out album from 1966 (a whole year prior to the release of SGT. Pepper) This is a genius Piece.
    Or get a damn Captain Beefheart album Trout Mask replica. That shit will blow you mind!
    I refuse to be another "weed head" who likes hendrix just because!
    Feel ME???

9. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

10. tupac
    so he could murder flo'rida and solja boy

11. lol syd was the man but if he was alive he wouldnt be doing anything wih music...so kinda a waste of a pick lol...plus he wasnt a great musician...but he was more of a musical genius

and to everyone hatin on hendrix...u guys seriosuly dont know shit about music....without a doubt he was the best guitarist to ever live

12. Do you have anything to back your claim?

cause i dont like to just pick on the mentally challenged, it gets old after a while.

i seriously hope that one day you kids will discover who the true musicians are.

13. ya i got plently of evidence...his music,,,take a look at it...not just his popular shit...but all his blues stuff too and less popular songs

hendrix is not one of the most famous giuitarists for no reason man...he did a lot of shit...a LOT in his short life...u shud not be listening to ANY music if u dont agree with me...he is undeniably the best ever....u dont know shit

so who's a true musician in ur eyes...probly some piece of shit if u think that hendrix isnt good

14. as many before me said, John Lennon. Even if only to see what Paul would say to him.

15. Ha. I like how everyone is getting bent out of shape over this. I also find it funny that someone said I should let it go when others who disagree with me continue to make their points. It's a message board, guys. Why the hell would any of us be here if we didn't want to discuss topics like this?

Again, I'm not trying to argue that Hendrix is the best of all-time. I'm simply pointing out that nearly all rock guitarists are indebted to him to some extent. You point to Petrucci and provide a list of artists he considers his influences to try to disprove my point, but look at the people he listed. Pete Townshend wrote the Rolling Stone article about Jimi when they ranked him the best guitarist of all-time and talked about how different he was from everyone else playing at the time and how everyone knew he was in a league of his own. Hell, Stevie Ray Vaughn is nothing more than a one man Jimi Hendrix cover band.

I know everyone wants to go against the grain and argue that someone more contemporary should be considered the most influential, but that argument doesn't make much sense to me. After all, Jimi's music has been out there for much longer and more people have listened to it, thus it makes sense to conclude that his work has had a more lasting impact on rock than someone like Petrucci.

Honestly, the only guitarist I'd put in the same league as far as influence would be Jimmy Page. If that's where you're headed, I have no problem.

16. It would have to be between Marley or Hendrix.

They both died far too young.

17. Probably Jim Morrison.

18. Yeah, I'm just some "kid" who doesn't know shit about music.

:rolleyes:

Let's try to be civil, okay? I'm probably as much of a music snob as anyone you've ever met, but I try not to be an ass. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.

19. The fact that you people are ignorant enough to call anyone the "greatest guitarist of all time" or anything along the lines of that just proves my theory that its YOU who truly doesnt understand music.

NO ONE CAN BE "THE BEST", ITS IMPOSSIBLE. NO MATTER HOW GOOD A GUITARIST IS, THERE'S ALWAYS ONE ASPECT OF PLAYING THAT ANOTHER GREAT GUITAR PLAYER CAN DO BETTER. YOU CANT ARGUE THAT, SO DONT EVEN TRY, THERE IS NO GUITARIST THAT IS "THE BEST" AT EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF PLAYING. SO TRYING TO PUSH THE BELIEF THAT ONE SINGULAR PLAYER IS "THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME" IS FUCKING TRIVIAL. YOU CAN ASK VAI, SATRIANI, PETRUCCI, MALMSTEEN, GILBERT, JOHNSON, BECK, WHOEVER. THEYRE ALL GONNA SAY, "WELL, SO AND SO IS BETTER THAN ME AT THIS, AND HES BETTER THAN ME AT THAT, AND BLAH BLAH BLAH.

NO ONE IS THE BEST
    EVERYONE HAS THEIR STRONG POINTS
    BUT TO HAVE STRONG POINTS YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR WEAK SPOTS

thats all im trying to get through your thick fucking skulls.

20. ...okay.

Like I said, I'm talking about the most influential guitarist of all-time. Not the best. Not my favorite.

LET'S GET PISSED OFF AND SHOUT ABOUT IT, THOUGH!!!!!1!!1!11!!!1!!!