if you believe in God, do you believe this...

Discussion in 'General' started by weedzilla420, Feb 19, 2006.

1. personally i would consider myself to be an atheist.

i think that this is based on my experience w/ southern baptist christianity. that is the only form of religion i have been exposed to (went to a private christian school in elementary and attended church 2X a week until i was 17). personally i find the southern free will baptists to be biggoted ignorant hypocritical people. they really make christians look stupid (i know not all christians are not like them but they give christians a bad name kinda like how terrorists give islam a bad name).

I really didn't like the core values of this particular sect. they view virtually anything that is pleasurable as sin. I seperated myself from this because i did not support their core values.
    they believe things like:
    no drinking
    no smoking (of anything)
    no music (except for southern baptist christain hymns; they don't even like christian rock or contemporary christian music)
    no dancing
    no watching tv
    no sex (before marriage or outside of marriage)

they believe that 'fags will burn in hell' whereas some peice of shit man who beats his wife and children but goes to church on sunday goes to heaven.

i am digressing from my main point,

my exposure to the ignorance of free will baptist christains (there is no 'freewill' in this sect btw) led me to become an atheist.

a part of me sort of regrets rejecting religion and the notion of God entirely. just because that one group of people didn't get it right doesn't mean that there's no god at all.

there are just many inconsistencies in the bible. i could write a book on that but i'll spare you. i'm talking about things such as how genesis said that God made light on earth before the sun and stars were created. it just doesn't make sense.

***but***
    if you believe that there is a god (whether it's the judeo christian version or another interpretation) and you believe that god created everything on earth than you must believe that god created the cannabis plant right?

do you all think that pot was a gift from god to his people?
    when i smoke, i feel more spiritual and more in touch w/nature. maybe god isn't really a tangible entity but more like the beauty of nature and the goodness of people.

what do you all think?

2. my mom uses "gods will" as a explanation FOR EVERY FUCKING THING. so i just tell her weed was created by god and was meant to smoke, so she says go didnt make it to be smoked. shes muslim btw, and shes really cool about me doing whatever, but if she ever finds any weed or rolling papers in my room, she throws them away. it didnt have much to do with your theory/story, but its hard to use god for an explanation because it always contradicts itself, so its best to leave "because god...." out of an arguement because it really has no evidence to back it up.

3. but the real question on everyone's mind is if God can do anything:
    could he mircrowave a burritto so hot that not even he could consume it?

4. religion isnt real, all it is to me is a way to make people conform, so called sins are what basic human instinct would be if we didnt have morals when you really think of it, we'd steal off people for survival n shit, and murder would happen alot, alot of the other animals steal off each other and kill each other correct?

cuz think about it, if there wasnt the police or a so called hell to go to for your actions, u'd do whatever the fuck you pleased

5. Okay, I grew up in GA- grew up in a southern baptist church- and they never said anything about being against TV, lol.
    They're not amish.
    But I do look down on some of the southern baptist christians that I know (okay, most of them...), they have a holier-than-thou look on everything and everyone.
    My church shunned a boy for having an ear ring and my sister for wearing a dress that barely fell over her knees. They're very very very conservative. It's sickning.

But just becuase "god" made pot, doesn't mean that christians should condone it. In that case, the flu or aids should be looked at as acceptable- after all, god made them!
    So please don't try saying that to your parents.. They're just going to think you have a problem.

And also, as Talon said, not only christians are anti-pot. It's illegal. That's why most parents don't like it.

And to add to the burrito thing, if god did exist, I don't think he'd eat shit-hole tex mex. I see him of more of an Italian guy...

6. Are you sure about that negligent?

I don't know much about southern baptists, except that a lot of people seem to have some serious problems with them.

One thing I do know is that no religion should seperate man from God. Rituals, rules and routines won't free your soul. It starts as a personal thing... but the more you feel connected to the world, the more you want to share this connection with others. That's how religions originate in the first place. They're not sneaky ways to control people (at least not at first)... it's just good to worship together. Same as when you feel the group energy of hundreds of people at a rock concert.

As for God himself: as you said, God is not something that you can fit into some definition or concept. You can't form an image of God in your head, look up to the sky and then hope to find something that fits. If smoking weed helps you let go, if it calms your mind and connects your soul with the world around you, then all the better.

As for these southern baptists... even if you don't agree with their beliefs, remember that they don't hold onto these strict rules out of malice. Don't get all high and mighty either because we're all ignorant in different ways. If you can approach them with compassion and understanding without being condescending, then they'll be same way with you.

7. the bible says that people were made in the image of God so that's why most christians think of God as a man.

8. I can't rememeber where, but I read a scientific theory that sujested that the first human was actually a woman, not a man... Now I can't state any facts or whatever, but my own thoughts on it are that it makes sence to me, and not just because I'm a woman, but because there would be absolutly no way to reproduce if the only living human was male, whereas, God could impregnate a woman (like Mary) and a child could be born without a man... But whatever... I wasn't there when all this went down, so all I can really say is Honestly... I don't know for sure, because God has never spoken to me directly, and the fact that the Bible was written by men with their own agendas, and then re-written, and re-written again, and then translated into many different languages... (and isnt' there like over 50,000 words in aramaic that don't have modern english translations? So what did they do with those words?) I have little faith in the Bible being "the word of God"... seems more like it's the "Word of Man in Charge" Not to mention every single religion from as far back as we have written documents for have the same kinds of stories, Jesus is not an original concept to Christianity... Seems a bit fishy, IMO... But, If I was going to belong to an organized religion this would be the one, I think..

http://info.bahai.org/article-1-2-0-1.html

But that's just me...

~ Terpsichore

9. I don't personally believe in anything. My world is just pretty concrete. Human emotions, feelings, etc are all made up in the brain. Thus when the body dies the soul dies.
    But i don't look down on anyone for any religion that they have. If they're gonna be hypocrite, then i don't like it. the reason why i said i look down on some of the southern baptists becuase they're cockheads. not cuz of their views. i just don't like cockheads.
    rofl
    okay
    so what i'm trying to say is i don't really know what i'm talking about and i'm listening to GUNTER (my ding ding dong...) :hello: :hello:

(and i'm high)

10. God loves everybody. Gay, straight, black, white or purple. He didn't have to make us...he chose too. Sometimes i think just for his entertainment (not really but it makes ya wonder huh) He made us all the way we are because thats what he wanted us to be. Even the man who beats his wife and kids. Although just going to church every sunday won't get him into heaven. I do not agree with the Southern baptist way of life.

I am a non-denominational Christian. Go to church every sunday. I do not believe God wants us to be miserable. He wants us to be happy. Everything is here for a reason. Everything has a purpose.

So yes i think he gave us the cannabis plant as a gift! Embrace it!!

11. I had a real hard time reading your post. I was too destracted by the rack in your sig. dunno..:devious:

12. if god is perfect, than what god makes should be perfect as well. god made the earth but the earth isn't perfect. he made people but people aren't perfect.

13. He made people without sin and innocent, but gave them free will. He gave them a command not to eat fruit from a certain tree, by doing so people learnt of evil and brought sin into the world. God had given the world to man, and man gave it to the devil (By obeying him and sinning), that is why it is a fucked up place.

If you want the theology of it that is.

14. I dont believe that god created us in his own vision, or that he created everything for us, that in it self is one of the 7 deadly sins so doesnt that mean who ever wrote the bible contradicted them selves? - just a thought. [ greed...]

anyways i believe in evolution and that the first human was not female nor male but rather a-sexual just like all of the species that were just starting out. And from a "mutation" is how we evolved into man and woman.

I beleive:
    Earth was a big piece of rock which exploded from the big bang, it was a mixture of all types of minerals and elements which made it a suitable habitat for any micro-organisms floating by in space that landed on earth.

through time the organisms evolved and split up to fit their habitat, it only makes sense that the earth started out with 90% water so thats the type of organisms that first spawned. as the water started to sink into the earth, and form bodies of water revealing more land, vegitation started to grow. somehow the organisms figured this one out and expanded onto land from there now "fish-like" form which took them millions of years to achieve, but mother nature knew this was coming "primal instinct basically", and some of them were ready to come to land. some turned into amphibians (i guess the fish-like turned into the amphibians). and some into insects (i guess the lobster or crab like ones turned into these). from amphiibian came reptile, from reptile came mammal, from mammal came man -- a mutation of a monkey.

[The above is loosley put together, when i said the reptiles came i ment dinosours & reptiles. too much to explain so thats the gist, and they dont know for sure where man came from, im betting were mutations]

(hmm i guess if you wanted to support the bible you could say that god "Found" a place for man to live, and that the dude who wrote the bible didnt get the facts right)

the mutations started evolving more and now you have us, with all the other animals that survived.

where the fuck was i...

right, yea i beleieve in evolution. i know there is a higher being (God), but i think almost all religions are wrong, and just a way to cope with the void of becoming intelligent and starting to wonder where we came from, after we realised, hey theres more to the sky than we realised.

15. the earth is perfect for the animals liviing here. take away technology, and its more perfect than you realise.

people are just plain fucked up :D.

16. haha god for sure dont love me, for the most part he hates me cuz shit rarely goes right in my life n personally i'd consider myself a good person but i jus get fucked over constantly, haha ask people around here i got bad karma even though i've done nothing except things to get good karma

17. When you think about God's relationship to man, you have to use a larger definition of man. Christian faith has rarely put very much importance on our material lives, since it's obvious that our physical world is full of suffering.

People get sick, get killed, and die. Human beings as a species weren't the first animals to live on this earth, and probably won't be here forever. If you are too attached to the physical world then you will be much more vulnerable to its suffering.

Most religions, however, teach that what really makes us "human" is our elevated level of consciousness. We are not only the bodies we inhabit, the emotions we feel, or the thoughts we think. Obviously, when we die, our egos and identities die too. But is that all that we are?

I don't believe so. I think that behavior that is described as "sin" is what keeps us tied to our egos and our self-centered outlook. This keeps our soul chained up to a low level of existence, and ultimately leeds to unhappiness. Praying and virtue wouldn't be useful concepts if it weren't for the fact that most of us grow into hundreds of negative habits and attitudes that reinforce our ego. Selfless virtue is little more than a list of good habits that help chip away at the prisons we've created for ourselves.

God is the universe. God will go on evolving long after the earth itself has been swallowed into the sun. And what of us? We're not really individuals to begin with, we're just extremely concentrated points on a giant field of consciousness. The One consciousness will not dissapear after our bodies die, it will just continue to undulate and take on new shapes.

18. i think of the earth as a god because she is the one who gives all life and places to grow

19. Hmmmm,
    I consider myself to be a Christian. I drink - socially, rarely do I ever get drunk - don't like the way I feel when I am drunk. I do smoke - cigarettes and weed. But, I don't blaze everyday and I don't see anything morally wrong with making the choice to blaze as long as it doesn't screw up your life and the relationships you have.I think the whole anti-drug thing has gone waaaayyyyyy overboard.
    I should say that I am a recovering coke addict.That was hell. Almost had to declare bankruptcy.
    I don't go to Church. I feel that organized religion is a human interpretation of what God wants. I try to live a good life. I am friendly, have good morals, and I treat others how I want to be treated. We all slip once in a while, some more than others. We make our own choices for good and bad and must live with both. I do believe things happen for a reason. It's difficult to believe in something you can't see or touch, but it is something I feel. It's called faith.The best I can do for an explaination. No I am not a bible thumper, but i do believe. Sorry about the rambling.

20. I've always considered religion as an outlet of people's fear of death. I'm agnostic. :p