If you’re an atheist, why do you believe in karma?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Deleted member 699232, Oct 26, 2019.

1. I'm with Cactus Ed on this. As far as anything to do with God goes, I'm firmly anti-religion. But that doesn't negate my belief in God. In fact, it is my belief in God that negates my trust of religion.

God is ineffable. How the hell are we supposed to eff God? It's like understanding dimensions beyond our perceptual capabilities: the best we can come up with is rough analogies and imperfect metaphors.

When religions speak of God, they speak of -- at best -- a distorted view of a reflected reflection of a shadow of a thing. Imagine a deep sea fish seeing the outline of a boat on the surface of the water, and from that extrapolating God. That's how I see religious attempts to describe God, and why I don't ascribe to them.

Religion is good for teaching people basic rules of society, but beyond that I can hazard my own guesses of what lies beyond the event horizon: I don't need a priest to make it up for me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. The definition of supernatural only means - attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.I personally believe it is ignorant to say in 2019 we understand and conceptualize everything that makes up science and the laws of nature. Many theories of relativity have been proven wrong so things that are science based or law based now can easily be deemed false or stand true plus more in the future. The term supernatural is also subjective to the time in which you exist so something supernatural to another time period may not be too us now and the future as well. You can't say the possibility of that doesn't exist.

3. Out of sheer curiosity, What if it's not energy you believe in or religion I guess of creation, where do you believe our 3d matter came from?

4. our brain works in more dimensions then our vision or body does. I believe that in a monsters inc sort of way we can't in a way make a thought itself 3d matter with out us acting on it. The ability to put spoken word into materialism is a dimension of creation we don't q

5. uite understand yet

6. it's all about self awareness of the senses. Just because spoken word or music can not be seen, let me tell you if you take psychedelics you can see the wavelengths and frequencies to a degree. Or at least your sense in certain dimensions we can't see can be illuminated or strengthened. In a way it's like if we were conscious enough to see the wind or taste by thought. I believe the only reason a being can be deemed higher is if there senses are higher than the normal species start. Whos to say the possibility of not only senses being heightened but senses being added when you evolve. Kind of like you devolves your sense on alcohol. The opposite of that in a way.

7. I think because it's an observable phenomenon in which you see bad things happen to bad people and good things happen when you do good. Something that stands out that people just notice and label it something. Rather simplistic answer but that's all I got. Whether it's real or not I have no comment either way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Atheists often borrow phrases and concepts from religion while insisting they don't believe in anything.
    OP asks a loaded question because they don't know why they believe in karma.

• Like Like x 1
  9. In a way... you got me.

I knew there were those that are self identified atheists that don’t know why they believe in karma.

I honestly was hoping this would be thought provoking, possibly making some atheists less hostile and more understanding of religion.

I think there are some atheists that believe in karma and they have very interesting reasons why, I just haven’t met them yet.

10. #110 Trichome Harvester, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Im an atheist and don't believe in karma, fuck that, seen to much bad shit happen to beautiful people generally cancer! if u act like a c**t u generally won't have a very good life eg. If u go round stabbing people it's not karma that uve ended up in prison! If ur horrible to people not many people are going to like u! That's not karma,it's common sense. there is no rhyme nore reason in life, half of it is luck of the the draw.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I believe in Karma. I also believe in being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A cosmic law for why terrible shit happens to good people and pieces of shit get away with anything. I'm coming back and I want my Karma to be cleared.