If the world was all Atheist innovators..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Haven't read a novel since I was like 12, but if I ever decide to read one I'll choose this.  Sounds like a great read anyway thanks for the recommendation.

2. #82 metalman2133, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
    Where on earth did you get this idea? 

edit: serious question, I thought his later weirdness was due to mercury poisoning (which he used in alchemy experiments, which aren't exactly religious), just curious where you saw this.

3. #83 Michio Kaku, Jan 18, 2014
    Isaac Newton did some brilliant thing and then let religion get in the way, which I'm sure prevented future scientific milestones.

4. He studied and wrote about religion while he was still doing scientific things. How did it prevent further work? If anything his work studying alchemy probably took more time than his religious studies. 

5. Just a question, but does it really matter when we made these scientific breakthroughs?  like 1214, 2014, 3014 does it really make any difference, the world will still be here for millions of years that is unless our scientific breakthroughs fuck the planet up.  But really does it matter that much when we made them or do people just wish we were living in a super cool society of awesome robots and shit right now, which would require whole new alternate events of the past, such events that would mean that all the people today wouldn't exist and therefore wouldn't experience them.  I dunno I just get confused when people get pissed off that science has been delayed by religion.

6. Maybe its greed? Maybe i just want a fancy new robot body with cyberneticly enhanced mental and physical traits. Maybe its the fact that it keeps humanity fundamentally separated. Either way the future will be better and we all wish an even better days was here today.

7. Yes but that's what I mean for us to have all this scientific new shit like you wanting your cyberneticly enhanced robot then a whole new timeline for the world would have to have been than this one.  You're only here because this timeline on earth happened, if events went different you wouldn't be alive and not only would you not experience your cool robot you wouldn't experience anything.

8. I dont follow. We can't meld with machine because of the events that led up to it? Youve really lost me

9. Well you're only here because all the random shit that's happened in the universe allowed your mum and dad to meet and give birth to you.  In a different time line with different events one where we developed science earlier for example your parents would never have met and probably wouldn't even exist themselves, therefore you wouldn't exist. 

10. Okay...lets say i accept that. Why does that mean science can't progress to untold levels in this...timeline?

11. I'm not saying it can't, I was saying all that in reference to the argument people have about wishing we were already at those levels.

12. so you pretty much were saying we shouldn't want it now because it hasn't happened yet in this timeline but it may have in some alternate one if there are some?

13. #93 didier12, Jan 18, 2014
    No, I was just confused as to why people condemn religion for the slower development of science and my initial comment was my reasoning for that confusion maybe I didn't make it clear enough I dunno. 

Edit: In the past that is as I don't believe religion to have much effect on it today.

14. I gotcha now. Yeah i mean there isnt really any reason to bash it for what it may have done in the past to hold it back. We never really know the effect.

Buy we can examine past factors and see what things we can do to set the future up better

15. Yeah I'm in complete agreeance with that, I just hear that argument put forth a lot "If it wasn't for religion we'd be living in a scientifically superior world right now".  Which was all I was referring to.  But yes from our present point of view we should be doing our best to advance scientifically in the most beneficial way possible by learning from the past.

16. Remember that episode of south park where religion was completely eradicated, and the atheists all still fought?

17. If the world was all Atheist innovators.....

We would have found a way to live on PLUTO.

18. I think the op is looking at it the wrong way.

Modern innovation and modern thought are the reason atheism even exists in the first place.

I believe religion to be an inevitable thing for primitive inteligence.

Id bet that all aliens also were religious at one point (if they arent still)

It goes away as science and reason come in. It is not the antithesis of logic and reason, just the precurser.

Think about it this way. Science is simply humans trying to figure out how the world works? Wasnt religion just a primitive form of that?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. The real technology is within us.

20. #100 jayfoxpox, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    Technology is within our hearts that shines brighter than the blazing sun. Combining these feelings into a double helix I'll dig a hole into the future. A drill that will pierce the heavens.

Sent from my ME173X using Grasscity Forum mobile app