If the world was all Atheist innovators..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014.

1. #41 smokehound, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    That's not all theists though.  You're generalizing.   how can you say my argument has no valid points?  Did you not see my earlier reference to sinew being used to close wounds?  You're being blinded by ideology, and that itself is cancer to all.

Furthermore, just because you're an atheist, doesnt mean you're a smart person.  It just means you werent subjected to the same compulsory belief system that others were.  Not all creationists are brain-dead morons.

2.  The issue isnt about who insulted who..  You're throwing your beliefs in people's faces.

3. #43 yurigadaisukida, Jan 17, 2014
    [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19356815" timestamp="1389944382"]Yeah it's true MOST people let religion get in the way of logic, and yes that is the issue here, it's what my whole post was about. You think I don't know what I'm talking about? You don't know what the fuck your talking about, at least I have a point. I say that as a scientific, logical person. You say that as a fuckin' "ex-catholic" Lmao, how the fuck does that even add to your credibility? Whoaa, you have 11k posts, your so fuckin' smart. You may think the theory is bunk but you are truly wrong. That is your opinion, and this theory is shared by world-renowned physicists. All you have is an opinion.[/quote]Most people dont let religion get in the way of logic. Belief in a god is completely rational from a scientific standpoint. Your theory is that if everyone was atheist science would progress faster.That is complete nonsenseAnd what is with the other stuff you posted? LolSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. i dont agree at all with either of you but fuck it ill smoke a bowl  :bongin:

5.  So you're saying, that nothing i said was valid?  What kind of debate is that?

6. [quote name="pickledpie" post="19355907" timestamp="1389933912"]What thinking? I don't think you know what I'm thinking. What's holding us back is ignorance. The true nature of religion is the elimination of ignorance, in tandem with science. Just because religions now have become corrupt and misleading, it doesn't mean religion has a whole is the problem.If one were to eliminate all religion, what would take it's place? The idea is that people will always have beliefs upon which their entire culture and society is founded. Science itself would require a religion of sorts to maintain ethical standards and guide society towards any kind of goal.[/quote] I agree ignorance is holding us back. Religion is the perpetuation of ignorance.What would take its place?We have laws for that purpose. If it weren't for religion, Christianity in particular we'd be about a thousand years farther along.How many men of knowledge were murdered during the Spanish Inquisition?The true nature of religion is in control of people, that control is threatened by knowledge.Mj

7. [quote name="yurigadaisukida" post="19356944" timestamp="1389946852"]Most people dont let religion get in the way of logic. Belief in a god is completely rational from a scientific standpoint. Your theory is that if everyone was atheist science would progress faster.That is complete nonsenseAnd what is with the other stuff you posted? LolSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]If believing God is rational where are the facts that you base this on?By the same reasoning belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster is completely rational. And that too is complete nonsense.Mj

8. #48 marvajuana, Jan 17, 2014
    Double post

9. #49 marvajuana, Jan 17, 2014
    Triple lol

10.  Belief in a god is not rational from a scientific standpoint.

Science itself is simply a collection of knowledge that can be testable and proven with tangible evidence and/or theory.

Theory in the scientific sense has nothing to do with belief.    

This is how science works:    Hypothesis, to theory, to law.   As theism cannot hold its ground to all three, having no tangible physical evidence to support it, you cannot link science and theism.  It just doesnt work.

It's like loading an SNES cartridge into a sega megadrive.  To get it to fit, you'd have to alter the console to make it fit, and even then it wont work.  

11. #51 Heroic Dose, Jan 17, 2014
    No...no it isnt. Advancement is more than new technology.

it is different, we both know that. Believing living in harmony with a common goal rather than letting blind fervor control you is a big difference.

I've said this many times, thats such fucking shit. But really we both know why i say that, no need to reiterate.

12. #52 Sam_Spade, Jan 17, 2014

Hey, I appreciate your thoughtful response. I know my rebuttal may overlap a little with others, but I'd like to stick to this exchange.

I would not disagree with you that ecclesiastical religion seems to have historically had quite a negative effect on progress of science. I would like to also point out that scores of early positivist philosophers, physicists, astronomers, anthropologists, mathematicians, architects, engineers and artists were not only church members and clergy, but were often patronized directly by organized religious institutions.That is nothing to say the effects of literacy and the religious roots of standardized education. Now, please don't mistake that for me trying to argue that organized religion actually overall facilitated scientific inquiry, because that's not what I'm saying. Rather, I'm saying that the historic relationship between organized religion is one of great complexity, and it is erroneous to make a generalized conclusion.

Furthermore, I would argue that organized religion, cults, magic and shamanism provide an incredibly valuable structural function in society. I'm glad people criticize religion ideology much more in recent decades, and it's a good thing. I think we need to be wary of binarisms that further polarize groups. I agree that the power relationships involved in religion can lead to some truly foolish epistemologies... but if science is going to learn anything from religion; it should be the judicious use of rhetoric ;)

13. #53 didier12, Jan 17, 2014
    If we were all atheist innovators we would have been wiped out by the superior race of computer consciousness we created initially to benefit our lives, fact.

Or we'd create a super computer universe for consciousness to float about in, perhaps we're in that now meaning we have a god which I guess would make us have a world of innovators who are completely wrong.

14. Or....we just arent there yet.

15. That's a statistical improbability, if it is in fact possible to create a computer universe with consciousness.  But I'm just playing devil's advocate if I'm being honest.

16. [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19356966" timestamp="1389947277"]i dont agree at all with either of you but fuck it ill smoke a bowl :bongin:[/quote]Its not really subjecve though so it doesnt matter if you agree.Religious people are perfectly capable of making rational scientific conclusions.Why wouldnt they be?Most christians accept evolution for exampleSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. #57 Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014
    your right religious people can make rational decisions. look where religion has led us, fucking horse shit - I'm not talking about one decision made by one person, that's miniscule. I'm talking about the mind of the next generation, and it is being tainted by christian retards AGAIN,
    my opinion is valid, and your attempts at disagreement is stupid - because if you look at every one of your posts your off the subject
    your so busy defending religion that your missing the point. Religion has done alot more bad than good, and religion WILL NOT move us forward so if it isn't harmful to progress, its at the very least dead weight

18. so many people are fearful of this, however not likely at all to happen, long before machines turn potentially dangerous we will have an 'off' switch. right now our smartest robot is as smart as a retarted cockroach. In 100 years, when our machines are as smart as a dog, then cat, then monkey - by that time we'll be well prepared for any robot incident

19. #59 yurigadaisukida, Jan 17, 2014
    [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19358813" timestamp="1389985626"]your right religious people can make rational decisions. look where religion has led us, fucking horse shit - I'm not talking about one decision made by one person, that's miniscule. I'm talking about the mind of the next generation, and it is being tainted by christian retards AGAIN,my opinion is valid, and your attempts at disagreement is stupid - because if you look at every one of your posts your off the subjectyour so busy defending religion that your missing the point. Religion has done alot more bad than good, and religion WILL NOT move us forward so if it isn't harmful to progress, its at the very least dead weight[/quote]I just dont see what you see.Perhaps give an example of a religious belief that inhibits a specific type of scientific progress?Religion historically is responsibile for immense scientific progress. Even stephen hawking admits this.You are overgeneralizing all religion because of what is an actually very small evangelical movementSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19358836" timestamp="1389985956"]so many people are fearful of this, however not likely at all to happen, long before machines turn potentially dangerous we will have an 'off' switch. right now our smartest robot is as smart as a retarted cockroach. In 100 years, when our machines are as smart as a dog, then cat, then monkey - by that time we'll be well prepared for any robot incident[/quote]I like bow you quoted michio kaku thereI love.michio kakuSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app