If the world was all Atheist innovators..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014.

That's why I ascribe to Buddhism. :)

What thinking? I don't think you know what I'm thinking. What's holding us back is ignorance. The true nature of religion is the elimination of ignorance, in tandem with science. Just because religions now have become corrupt and misleading, it doesn't mean religion has a whole is the problem.

If one were to eliminate all religion, what would take it's place? The idea is that people will always have beliefs upon which their entire culture and society is founded. Science itself would require a religion of sorts to maintain ethical standards and guide society towards any kind of goal.

3. [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19355690" timestamp="1389931846"]Maybe I shouldn't say the world, just the United States?Maybe the religion worked out there, but I do know that it didn't cause any progress. While you guys may argue that religion isn't bad, there is no argument against the fact that religion doesn't cause progress.. Science causes progress.I'm not saying Christians are biased, I'm saying WE AS A SOCIETY, CAN NOT MOVE FORWARD IF WE ARE HELD BACK BY LIES.Its easy to say others are biased but this is 100% truth. I'm not a biased person just a truthful person and I know for a fact that religion is bad news. I'm not stereo-typing anyone, it's the truth. Look at the percentage of Atheists who are smart, and then look at the percentage of Christians that are smart. Religion is just filling the gaps you don't know with storytelling.[/quote]Maybe instead of just saying the united states you should just abandon your entire premise?Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. I think religion of any kind holds us back and only when we live based on logic, reason, and empirical evidence will we truly advance. Morals and ethical standards are points of view.

Only when we stop basing decisions on belief and starting living with human advancement as the overall goal will we obtain utopia.

Then there has to be a belief that human advancement is the overall goal. Decisions should not be based solely on beliefs if the beliefs are unfounded, but it is impossible to live without believing in something.

There are somethings science can absolutely never answer. This is the nature of science. People must realize that science works only so far as we live a life based on the belief of materialism, which itself is not the entire reality.

Morals and ethics exist subjectively. There can be a consensus created, but it must be based on reason and logic, but one outside the realm of science. Science cannot delve into ethics, but it must apply them otherwise chaos would ensue.

I've said this many times, science itself is worthless without philosophy, it itself is philosophy.

6. #26 Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    My career will be in this country, I'll live here. Just because I'm pertaining to a specific country doesn't mean I am biased.. especially if other countries aren't involved in my initial discussion. I can't be automatically deemed biased based upon 'singling' the US out because my initial discussion was solely involving the US. Any problem with being biased isn't relevant to the subject

7. [quote name="Snoop Toad" post="19356381" timestamp="1389938187"]I think religion of any kind holds us back and only when we live based on logic, reason, and empirical evidence will we truly advance. Morals and ethical standards are points of view.Only when we stop basing decisions on belief and starting living with human advancement as the overall goal will we obtain utopia.[/quote]This is irrelevent to the ops point thoughSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Aristotle - An object in motion slows down because it gets tired.
    Newton and following scientists would label this statement foolish, although made by this famous of philosophes.
    Philosophy isn't science, it's just thought. Science is logic, facts, knowledge. Science is where it is without philosophy. The only part that can involve philosophy is making theories, if you would even consider theorizing being philosophical

9. [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19356690" timestamp="1389942532"]Aristotle - An object in motion slows down because it gets tired.Newton and following scientists would label this statement foolish, although made by this famous of philosophes.Philosophy isn't science, it's just thought. Science is logic, facts, knowledge. Science is where it is without philosophy. The only part that can involve philosophy is making theories, if you would even consider theorizing being philosophical[/quote]Philosophy is still important. All of m-theory/string theory is based on math (philosophy).Just as philosophers can be wrong so can scientistsSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. why would i do that? i have a valid point and if you think otherwise go ahead but my point of view will not be abandoned just because you or someone else doesn't agree with me. If your religion involves you making up your mind about subjects unexplored and filling knowledge gaps with fairytales then you are part of the problem of why we aren't where we could be, now that is my premise and i'm sticking to it.

11. a scientists theories can be wrong but scientific facts that have been recorded cant be erased they are just added like building blocks of knowledge

12. we might be more advanced (probably not) but our culture would be in the shithole

13. [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19356711" timestamp="1389942914"]why would i do that? i have a valid point and if you think otherwise go ahead but my point of view will not be abandoned just because you or someone else doesn't agree with me. If your religion involves you making up your mind about subjects unexplored and filling knowledge gaps with fairytales then you are part of the problem of why we aren't where we could be, now that is my premise and i'm sticking to it.[/quote]You theory is bunk.As an atheist i disagree with everything you posted.As an ex catholic i also know that you dont know what the fuck you are talking aboutFor example. Most christians accept evolution.The anti stem cell people didnt like the idea that stem.cells would encourage abortion.Science cannot prove or disprove a god.Yea it true some people let religion get in the way of logic. But that isnt the issue hereSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Just like science, there are false philosophies. Like science it is always evolving and changing and is dependant on science in the sense that with new understanding of phenomena, philosophy must exist to reflect that new understanding.

Theorizing is philosophical as is the scientific method. The whole basis of science is one of philosophy.

15. [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19356725" timestamp="1389943076"]a scientists theories can be wrong but scientific facts that have been recorded cant be erased they are just added like building blocks of knowledge[/quote]Also not completely true.Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Atheism is nothing more than a lack of belief, and has nothing to do with invention, or innovation.

Egypt was a pioneer in medical science during their reign.  Some of their techniques- like using animal sinew to close wounds- are still used to this very day, and they were a polytheistic culture, as were greeks and romans, which were both polytheists and inspired all modern philosophy. 

This thread makes atheism look bad, and it's no wonder we're so hated.  For shame.

17. Yeah it's true MOST people let religion get in the way of logic, and yes that is the issue here, it's what my whole post was about. You think I don't know what I'm talking about? You don't know what the fuck your talking about, at least I have a point. I say that as a scientific, logical person. You say that as a fuckin' "ex-catholic" Lmao, how the fuck does that even add to your credibility? Whoaa, you have 11k posts, your so fuckin' smart. You may think the theory is bunk but you are truly wrong. That is your opinion, and this theory is shared by world-renowned physicists. All you have is an opinion.

18.   If you truly wanted to make atheism look good, you wouldnt have raged like that.

I mean granted, this is coming from myself- a person who's well known for being hostile towards religion in general, but i certainly dont throw my lack of belief in others' faces.  Just because i'm an atheist doesnt mean im a better person.  Hell, i envy alot of theists, because they're happy, and they communicate better with other people than i do.

19. lol, this all mighty grasscity thread makes atheists look bad, give me a fuckin break
    yes atheism is lack of belief, my original statement being unreasonable belief (religion)clouds reasonable thinking(science), and that the majority of reasonable thinkers are scientists, which are 90% atheist. scientists are innovators.
    so you see i have a valid point, while your argument has none.
    the next generation needs to be full of aspiring educated scientists not religious fools set in their ways

20. i don't care about atheism, only that it is a common trait among smart people who will advance us.
    plus i was insulted first.