If space and time are one thing, does that mean..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sc0pe, Apr 12, 2014.

1. in order to move through time, you need to move through space, and vice versa?
    and since distortions in space cause distortion in time, maybe gravity is linked to time aswell

i probably sound like a nutjob but do you think time began because something in the beginning of the universe started to move, maybe 2 tiny particles came into existence and attracted each other, moving space and starting time?

2. Gravity is linked to time. The larger an object orbiting its home star, the farther away it is (and usually gaseous due to planetary formation) and the longer the days/years. The smaller (and usually solid) planets such as Earth, Mars, and Venus, the shorter the orbital period around the sun and rotation.

Time is cause and effect which can be defined as simple as movement and in order for movement to happen there needs to be space. You're not a nutjob.

3. The thing that I don't understand is how those two particles came into existence, or the whole universe for that matter. Like I know it was probably the Big Bang, but how did that just come out of nothing?

You should read Hyperspace by Michio Kaku. I feel like he's the closest to the answer. At least of what I've read about time travel and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. A day on Jupiter is many earth days. It wouldn't feel like one day lol that's not how it works. Those are man made measurements of repetition

But gravity does effect time.... the speed you are traveling also does

5. #5 hermione420, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    Of course it wouldn't feel like one day. I'm sorry if my wording confused you but by days i meant days according to each object not necessarily 24 hour days

6. Well that doesn't link gravity to time it links larger orbits with longer days and years which aren't effective to the flow of time, just tally marks we use to keep a check on it

Gravity dilates time. Lower Gravity potential makes for slower time.

7. #7 hermione420, Apr 12, 2014
    True, but what I mean is that the larger planets of a solar system are usually made of gas which leads them to have a lower gravitational pull and rock planets are closer to its home star so has more pull making time quicker on these planets

8. Neptune Jupiter and Saturn have a stronger gravity than earth

9. i think theyre saying the gravitational field of the sun is adding to that of the planet, especially those close to it

10. #10 Modality, Apr 12, 2014

Not necessarily. If I were to define my spacetime coordinates (x,y,z,t) and choose an arbitrary coordinate system, time will always increase at the same relative rate even if my spatial coordinates are unchanged. Also, the whole notion of "moving through space" is ill defined unless you speak in the language of reference frames. For example, the coordinate system I just mentioned could be bolted onto a spaceship traveling at 99% the speed of light. They would still remain unchanged while I observe time ticking ticking at a constant rate even if that is not how it is perceived by those on Earth.

This is actually correct and is at the heart of the most accurate theory of gravity today: general relativity. Generally, intense gravitational fields are needed to cause any kind of significant distortions in space. But, because space and time are intrinsically linked in this model, distortions in space give rise to distortions in time.

This is actually a well-motivated idea (except for the last part) about the cause of the big bang being borne out of a quantum fluctuation. The interaction, however, is not gravitational in nature (gravity only began to exist a Planck second or so after the big bang) and we currently do not have the tools to make accurate predictions or to probe such energy scales (and it's highly possible we never will).

11. Yes but the thing is you cant really stay still in space because space is always expanding right?

12. I like turtles

13. #13 Timesplasher, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014

This is actually a well-motivated idea (except for the last part) about the cause of the big bang being borne out of a quantum fluctuation. The interaction, however, is not gravitational in nature (gravity only began to exist a Planck second or so after the big bang) and we currently do not have the tools to make accurate predictions or to probe such energy scales (and it's highly possible we never will).

Whats fascinating is there is no single answer to explain everything. Even if tools were advanced beyond the needs of any challenge the information discovered will keep on creatingfurther question? Just for fun if it could be estabished that without a doubt the universe was created by the big bang and this is exactly what took place etc etc (even captured on visual image) another question still remains. Its a conundrum, for example just say hypothetically god does exist so therefore creation explains everything. But then the question still reamins "who created god"? 

Is there a mathmatical method that exists,  or is it possible to establish one that creates a starting point that doesnt require an expalnation of the current prior state of ? 

Is there even any hypothetical scenario that allows for the above to exist within and offers a conclusion? 

14. The faster you go the slower time moves , it is impossible for any material object to travel faster than the speed of light, got to love quantum physics

15. #15 Timesplasher, Apr 14, 2014

Thats a a good way of keeping the idea in perspective regarding the potential for any physical faster "than the speed of light" time travel etc
    Id would always get this mental block trying to imagne how a person could physically experience an altered physical state. I think Im realizing that time as a concept is theoritical. So if someone says the faster you go the slower time moves its not neccessarily a conflict of how I associate time with existance its just a matter of referance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    What's eternal cannot be created. Eternity has no beginning point, starting point, or a creation point -- eternity IS.

17. #17 celticwolf, Apr 14, 2014
    The main problem with this whole concept is people's understanding of time as we know it. Time is a force that can be bent and twisted, but only by extreme force. Like a giant collapsing star that creates a black hole.
    We need to think of this as space time. Now were talking billions of years on the clock. If u could get to the event horizon of a black hole it might be possible to look back and see the whole universe unfold.

These are forces which we may never fully understand, and are only starting to comprehend.

I just used god as an a hypothetical example. I exploited his very name just for lols.

19. How convenient is the word "eternity" :)

So what is this force that is "time" ?