if pollen is released in a room, how long until it dies?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Love420247, Sep 22, 2012.

1. So a clone suddenly decided to show its balls while i was away, and some of them popped ..

There are no flowering plants right now ,
    so how long will it take for the pollen in the room to die ?

and say there was a tiny bit of pollen around, and a big plant, only a small portion that came in contact with the pollen would get seeds right ?

2. I'm still new but I'm guessing only the pollinated part would be seedy. Atleast that's what I have read. I'm sure a pro will give better advice.

3. thats what i assumed to , but i know a couple people who were saying things like ,
    Oh yea a little bit of pollen will ruin ALL of the plants buds.

but really , if it was just the pollen from a few balls on a couple inch tall clone , I dont think it would "ruin" everything .

I mean im sure we have all bought weed with a few seeds in it at least once or twice in our time , lol.

4. hmm , so does anyone know about how long the pollen stays potent for ?

5. just clean your room with a diluted bleach solution? shouldent that clean it lol

6. hurry up and get the plan b pill

7. The pollen won't die for a long time. Clean the room because I was getting seeds from a hermie several crops after. I've cleaned my rooms and my equipment and I still find an occasional single seed where there shouldn't be.

8. Pollen doesn't die.

You can take some and store it for a very long time to make seeds later.
    You have to either deal with it, or scan every square inch of the room for any specks and remove them by hand.

OR
    Check the intake of your filter, it probably has the pollen that was in the air. Clean it, then wipe everything in the room including the walls with a damp cloth. maybe even the plants?

The goal would be to remove all the pollen from the air and the surfaces of everything.

I don't know, Ive never let a male burst in my room. You should be around right when it first starts showing signs. If your away from your room long enough for a plant to develop male parts and let them burst, that's not good.

9. if pollen gets wet it becomes un usable, it has to be stored in cool dry places to be able to store it. whipe the walls down with at least soap and water or diluted bleach if you want to be certain its gone. it only takes a very tiny amount of pollen to create hundreds of seeds but i doubt that pollen residue in ur room would pollinate buds enough to ruin a crop, but better safe than sorry. good luck

10. You definitely need to clean and wipe everything in the room down. I also like the suggestion to clean your fan and filter. If this were pollen that you were trying to save for breeding, it would probably go sterile pretty fast, but since it's pollen you don't want, it will probably stay viable forever (just the way it goes). Wipe everything down. If a small amount of pollen comes into contact with a female, she will only develop seeds at the point of contact, not all over. But if you have random pollen in your flower room, it most likely won't pollinate just one controlled part of your girl.

11. How does it look if the plants been pollinated? On some of my very bottom popcorn budsites I got a nice few bits of bud but with what look like seed sacks on top. There are plenty of white hairs emerging from the top. Guessing its not normal because its only on one out of four and only on the small stuff at the bottom. Any ideas what it is or what to do about it. Only got two or three weeks left to chop. Should I just leave em?

12. #12 InTheGarden, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
    If you've only got a few weeks left, you will be able to tell if the plant has been pollinated. Look for seeds developing. Just leave them alone.

EDIT: here's a link to another thread where the guy's outdoor plants were accidentally pollinated. Only the pre-flowers were pollinated though, so the rest of his buds are seedless. Check out the pictures
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1111954-female-few-seeds-pictures.html

13. #13 bungle420, Sep 23, 2012
    Would developing seeds have hairs growin outta the top though?
    I took one off and broke it open. Looked like a small little white tap root to me.
    I've checked out that thread but the difference is in those pics they are at the bottom of the bud, where u would expect them to be. Mine are at the top....

14. #14 bungle420, Sep 23, 2012
    So are these seeds?

ForumRunner_20120923_210744.png

ForumRunner_20120923_210811.png

15. yes those look like swollen calyxes with seeds forming in them. the pistils will start to turn yellowish brown when pollinated, thats usually a good first sign.

16. you need to sterilise the room, and surrounding rooms, carpet , walls , air intakes , filters

EVERYTHING THAT HAS COME INTO CONTACT WITH POLLEN

total pain in the ass..

17. well on the bright side, it was a fairly new clone that popped , and it was still in the clone dome so it should be fairly contained .

But that also means it would have gotten on all the other clones from another plant...

Ill just have to wipe the leaves and stuff, but I think getting some seeds is going to be inevitable ..

hmm, unless I misted them intensely and got every bit of the plant and soil wet, and if Panda85 is right then that would probably help a lot I'm thinking

• Like Like x 1
  18. I had a hermie in my last crop which seeded whole crop lol only 1 flower n now 5 weeks into flower on my new crop n crapped myself as just found a seed pod on one of my plants n was what the fuck as I've checked and checked everyday for weeks to ensure no repeats n nothing so I'm putting it down to a random but of pollen from last crop as there's only one seed hahaha

19. I realize that this was from 5 years ago but man you must have some 6 Million Dollar Man eyes if you can see "specks of pollen"...

Lol

J

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yes you need to rinse your plants also.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum