If plants need 100% darkness during flowering, how do they do it outside?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by col forbin, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ...withoutbecoming hermies? The stars and the moon are usually bright enoughto where u can see, but when I tell someone how there is a dim crack of light getting into my flowering room during darkness, im not I have no chance and will get hermies. This makes no F^#^*(# sense to me....will someone be kind enough to explain this?

2. First of all pick up a science book.

Okay...

1.) The moon doesn't give off any type of radiation... it's simply a reflection of light from the sun.

2.) When you're growing outside, you have to pick when to grow because of seasons. Shortly after September 22/23 (this is Fall equinox)... is when it becomes an equilux. Thusly meaning 12 hour days, 12 hour nights.

I'm not sure if I answered your question fully, but feel free to let me know if I did or not.

3. I have thought of this point before as well. It doesnt make sense that plants grow outside when there are so many possible light factors around, wether it be street lights, cars drving by, the moon light or star light as well. light is light, the fact that it is reflected by the moon off of the sun doesnot mean that it isnt light. In the middle of the night, the moon light can still guide your way. I guess the difference is the fact that nature does not care to only have female bud plants. If a plant ecome a hermie, no prob right? it can germ itself and continue the lifecycle. I dont know for sure but def a interesting point indeed.

4. People grow plenty of female plants outdoors, with no hermi problems. A small amount of light is no problem. Its people that are turning on the lights when its supposed to be in a dark cycle, that have problems.
    A full moon is pretty damn bright, so is lightning, and according to some peoples therory on zero light during night cycle, if a plant growing outdoors goes through a full moon or a thunder storm, would turn hermi, but we know thats not true.

5. to sum it up, you have long days in the beginning of the summer therefore there is more light for longer, but as you come closer and closer to winter the days begin to shorten a few hours, and that few hour change is compared to the 12/12 of having a plant indoor, it causes flowring.

6. #6 Chasin, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
    A lot of people are missing the question, hes asking how come a plant in 12/12 in nature, can be exposed to light from the stars, moon, streetlights, etc but people make out light leaks to be a huge deal and that it will definitely turn your plant hermie.

7. Thanks everyone for there responses - my problems with light coming in is not from me turning lights on briefly, its from morning light coming in my A/C window unit. Its coming in through the vents, which I obviously cant cover up. I walked in this morning, and it was enough light to be able to see.

Any suggestions?

8. obviously no one here does much camping in the middle of the woods to think that stars and streetlights (miles and miles away) actually contribute any light. true darkness in the woods is exactly that, true darkness.

the only thing that would contribute any light whatsoever is the moon. this might happen what the night sky it totally clear and it's a full moon. how often does this happen? it's rare, maybe a night or two each summer and fall. it's not going to effect the plant.
    people worry about light leaks because even the smallest leak is more light than even the brightest moon can provide. second, a light leak usually means it is present every single night for weeks and weeks before it is noticed. my point, therefore, is that light from the moon and from the starts is nothing compared to the type of light leaks that will stress a plant into going hermie.

^ this is just horrible information. if relfected light from the moon isn't any type of radiation, then what do you think it is???

9. Ive been out in the middle of the woods on a clear night, its pretty dark, but not pitch black. And definetely not in open fields. Unless you are 100 miles from town, theres going to be light pollution, and it doesnt affect them at all. What about backyard growers? Ive seen quite a few that are full female, even in the city:eek:

Is light leak bad? - YES
    Is it a 100% chance of screwing up your grow? Depends on how bad it is.

10. col, I had this same situation in the last place I lived awhile back. Light coming in through the AC vents.
    I tried to keep my lights out cycle as close as I could to night time hours but I still had a couple of hours of light peaking in.

I did 3 grows with no hermies.

One thing to keep in mind, if you can see the light on the inside the light can be seen on the outside of the house.

You could fabricate some duct work for your AC unit to help eliminate some of the light.
    Cardboard and duct tape can work wonders at times ;)

11. hey not to steal you post but i just had a quick question. i had one of the tabs on my light timer get pushed down without my noticing and my plant ended up getting 15min of light during her dark period. shes 3weeks into flower and this is the first time this has happened. could this be enough to cause her to hermi?

12. I think your plants will be fine.
    As mentioned before, most of the herms come from people turning on their lights often to look at their girls. In all of the years I have been doing this I have never had one turn on me. Die yes, turn no. And I have broken most of the rules at one time or another.

13. thats good to hear. hopefully i dont have her turn i would be pretty pissed cuz so far shes perfect:)