If not YOU...then WHO? If not NOW then WHEN?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by whacker17, Aug 25, 2011.

1. #1 whacker17, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
    hi All free thinkers, If not YOU...then WHO? If not NOW then WHEN? - Martin Buber

Its a quote i saw in abook recently that has been going round and round in my mind......it raises so many thoughts and question to myself/ of myself....

I was wondering what it means to some of you on here. Ive only been on here a week or two but i am feeling a strong sense of good and wise amongst you, and would love to hear peoples thoughts

peace:)

2. It means get busy doing your thing...whatever that may be...but find it...b/c no one's going to do it for you...and you'd probably not have it any other way..so have at it..

Also, probably in the context, it was a call to social action and betterment.

3. #3 DrummerB, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
    i think this quote speaks for itself,

thats just me though

also theres just so many ways this can interpenetrated

edit - lol i tried to spell interpreted and it corrected it to ^

4. lmao drummer. :smoke:

i've only read bits and pieces of buber, but i do know he's an existentialist and a religious man with very interesting ideas about man's relationships. i'm sure those aspects form part of the context for the quote. other than that, no context, wild card! :smoke:

5. Those questions are alot older than Buber.

The questions are about enlightenment (originally.)

One of the biggest things holding many people back from enlightenment is that they do not accept that they are enlightened. Sometimes people 'choose' to identify with their suffering and tell themselves they can never be happy. Or they think they've got some more to learn so they postpone accepting reality until they learn the 'truth.' In thinking that they need to gain some more information, they ignore the only moment they have- which is now- and identify with being ignorant and unhappy.

"No one is youer than you."- Dr. Suess

If you ask a bird what time it is, it'll reply, "Right now."

6. it was a call to social action and betterment.... thats what it means to me.!!!!.. i would have gone into a long lengthy explaination but TesseLated you have a minimalistic way with words that is beyond me.... beautifully put :)

Tak

danish for thanks

7. I'll read your post tomorrow. :D