If I germinate seeds in paper towel, then plant them in coco, should I use a humidome

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by KidKid, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Title says it all. If I germinate seeds, then plant them coco. Should I use a humidome until they sprout?

2. Hi KK
    If you're not there to keep an eye on the moistness of the media a dome
    is a good idea.
    Cheers

3. Or use a plastic sandwich bag, you just want to make sure they don't dry out. One method that works really well for me is to soak them in a cup of water for a day or two before you plant them. When the seeds sink they are ready, if the don't sink shake the cup a but to get any air bubbles out of the seed shell, if they still don't sink they are duds. At that point you can put them straight in your medium or on to a paper towel.

4. the medium you're gonna end up in after germination, makes no difference in your germination method.

5. I germinate in a cup of water for about two days untill the root pops out just a little.some people say you will drown your seeds but so far i am 100% on germination.then it goes into a solo cup with coco,then i seal up the top with plastic wrap and let it do its thing.

6. I don't do any pre germ methods at all. The soaking in water stuff is for like old seeds. If you got seeds from a seedbank then they should be current stock. I like using rapid rooters for germ and cloning. I just put the seed in with the taproot end upwards and a small amount of water just barely covering the bottom of the tray.

Seeds don't need humidity to germ and grow like clones do, so a dome isn't really needed unless your germing medium is gonna dry out super quick i think.

7. Domes are really more for clones but like someone said if your not around to keep the medium moist it would probably help. Im actually thinking about using a dome on my next batch of seeds just because its really dry here...RH about 20% if I dont use a humidifier. Which is why I think 2 of 3 of my seeds had a hard time getting rid of their seed casing.

I wouldnt soak seeds in water for more than 24 hours...if they dont pop a sprout by then just plant them anyway.

8. i think two of my seeds germinated, they cracked a bit and I saw some white (root). PLanted them a day ago and still nothing. Keeping the coco moist with a spray bottle and water PH'd at 5.8.

One of the seeds has not germ'd and it's been in the paper towel two days now.

Should I try it in a shot class and warm water?

9. Plant seeds directly in pure coco.  No domes, no heating pads, no shot glasses full of water.  Get a small pot, fill with coco, soak it down, plant seed 3/4" - 1" below surface & lightly cover.  Place under lights & watch the magick happen in 2-4 days. 

Best results & as easy as it can get.

cant break a taproot transplanting if you plant in ateast a solo cup