If God knows you full potential for evil or good, do our actions matter?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Messiah Decoy, Mar 2, 2015.

1. #1 Messiah Decoy, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
    So at your very worst you would be a serial killer and your at very best you would be a humanitarian. God knows this.

What's the point of God judging your actions when he knows what you're truly capable of?

2. Wait a second.  Does this mean God is actually HE-man?

I guess it all makes sense since "HE" is the Master of the Universe afterall.

[​IMG]

3. Typical Christian answer: Free will! It's a test.

4. There really isn't good or evil. There are things acceptable to our society and there are things that aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. What strain did you smoke OP? I want some, mind blown

6. First off, you presuppose the existence of a god.  

Then, you presume this god has the power to simultaneously know the minds and capabilities and intentions of every person on earth.     That is 7.125 billion people.      And you suggest he knows not only what they are capable of now, but what they are capable of or will do in the future.

These are remarkable claims and assumptions.        

Can you present any scientifically verifiable evidence whatsoever that such a being exists, and then that he possesses any of the powers you suggest?

7. it's obvious he's basing his premise off of the Christian god...

8. #8 Account_Banned283, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

I don't see how this makes much sense, because being 'capable' of being either a 'serial killer' or 'humanitarian' is a world away from actually being either a 'serial killer' or 'humanitarian', and God would have no reason to judge a person on the basis of what they're 'capable' of doing, but only on the basis of what they do do.

If anything the opposite is what's true - being 'capable' of becoming a 'serial killer' and not actually becoming a 'serial killer' would presumably be the only thing that would 'please' God, because this possibility of becoming a 'serial killer' is the only thing that would give not becoming a 'serial killer' any ethical merit. It would be entirely redundant to praise somebody for not becoming something which they weren't 'capable' of becoming in the first place.

This seems rather obvious though, so maybe I've misread your post.

9. this
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. God is the creator of all things and has no limitations.

I'm confident that God, if real, could easily create parallel versions of you and see your various, possible choices.

11. #11 Messiah Decoy, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
    Well it comes down to nature and nurture, genetics and environment. Let's say God knowingly determines a persons DNA and their life long surroundings, that means God can pretty much know the worst possible outcome and the best possible outcome for a person.

It's like you building a robot who has a predictable range of behaviors that ends up behaving badly because the stimuli you put in the environment warranted the robot's bad behavior. Could you really judge the robot knowing:

A. You designed the robot's program

B. You determined the stimuli the robot responded to which resulted in the negative outcome

Ultimately, you know the robot would've behaved better if you gave it different stimuli and you know that the program you built allowed the bad behavior so how can you fairly judge it?

12. assuming an ulterior being exists that is able to perceive us, and know everything we 'may' or 'may not' do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. yo chill out. he said 'if god was real' and went on with his question. hes asking for an answer based on a "what if?"
    dont have to attack him like one of those atheists who make it their life mission to prove god isn't real

14. #14 Account_Banned283, Mar 14, 2015

Well, it depends on whether on whether God's 'judgement' would be objective in all scenario's, or whether he/she/it would work on a case-by-case basis. If the latter, then I see no reason for to think that God's 'judgement' itself couldn't be fair (despite how the conditions which led to the 'action' were unfair/negatively influential).

EDIT; The act of 'judging' would be inherently unfair, I'd agree with that, but the 'judgement' itself wouldn't necessarily have to be.

15. How is it fair to judge how a a person with specific DNA responds to their environment.

If I had Jeffery Dahmer's DNA and environment I would do the same exact things he did.

16. #16 Account_Banned283, Mar 14, 2015

EDIT; My answer is in the 'EDIT' above.

(I was also under the assumption that the 'God' being spoken about here was an indeterministic one, that is, one that has endowed people with a certain degree of freedom).