If Everything Was Free

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by PassTheGrass, Jul 26, 2012.

1. [quote name='"Malvolio"']If everything was free, nobody would work and everyone would die anyway.[/quote]

"Everyone would die anyway"

2. I think you took me too literally.

3. lol obviously there would be survivors.. there are people out there that have no idea modern society even exists

use a legit argument if you want to argue. You and I both know, he knows people would survive, and you clearly didnt read his last post

4. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

How does that food get from the farm to the people who eat it, who runs the store you buy it, who fuels the cars to get the shit from a to b

you need to think outside the box, sure small self sufficient communites wouldnt die... like in Asia and Africa and a few other places... but the large populations would collapse... do you think there are any farms in the city of Bombay? Because those farms, if any, now have 13 MILLION mouths to feed without any source of anything but the food itself

who pumps the fucking drinking water?

where do you get your food, have you considered how many people are involved in getting your food where it ends up? How will you cook it? Fire is pretty much your only option, as gas and electricity will be no more

Oh, you have a generator, well you will run out of fuel. Solar Panels? Yea? Who is going to install them for free?

think about it lol... modern societies would fucking collapse man

EDIT: you edited to completely change your argument lol... no one said we would go extinct, but we would certain reduce in size drastically, by the hundreds of millions. I would also like to add...

the farmers wouldnt stop farming? Why not? Why do they farm... no support their family... well shit just became free so outside of farming their own food, they have no benefit in providing everyone around them with food lol[/quote]

Do you understand how much farming land this planet has to offer? This scenerio also wouldn't happen over night by the way. I said modern society would collapse?

5. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

lol obviously there would be survivors.. there are people out there that have no idea modern society even exists

use a legit argument if you want to argue. You and I both know, he knows people would survive, and you clearly didnt read his last post[/quote]

Pretty sure if you go back I said what we "pre occupy" ourselfs with today wouldn't be the same. Its a typed sentence how else am I suppose to take a statement?

6. The scenario is, everything is free all of the sudden

also, you are assuming people are just going to step up and farm for the entire god damn planet, and you are wrong

If people were willing to do that for free, wouldnt they already be fucking doing it, world hunger wouldnt exist... you live in a fantasy utopia lol

I do understand how much farm land the earth has and i also understand that you clearly still dont understand how many paid for people and resources are used so you can eat a fucking poptart

7. What you are ignoring is human nature. Humans are rational but self-serving.

8. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

The scenario is, everything is free all of the sudden

also, you are assuming people are just going to step up and farm for the entire god damn planet, and you are wrong

If people were willing to do that for free, wouldnt they already be fucking doing it, world hunger wouldnt exist... you live in a fantasy utopia lol

I do understand how much farm land the earth has and i also understand that you clearly still dont understand how many paid for people and resources are used so you can eat a fucking poptart[/quote]

Uhm who's talking about procssed foods. The human body doesn't require to eat proccessed foods. Didn't we start out as hunters and gatherers lol. Also uhm you can drink rain water, its the equivelent to distilled water. So people also suddenly lost the intelgience on how to catch rain water before it hits the earth. I never said people would farm for the whole world, like you said small communities.

9. It was an example, you need to learn non literal arguments lol

Ok hunters and gatherers.... go out and live without society on your own, without guns as you will run out of bullets without society... bow and arrow perhaps... go hunt and gather for food in some desolate area for a few years and tell me how easy/awesome it was, now imagine if you were the only dude around that was willing to do it for free, but you had 100 people who wanted that food.....

Rain water, ok, what if it doesnt fucking rain lol what if you live in a part of arizona and dont have access to water? Dead

You are assuming if this was to happen everyone is in some happy go lucky mind set to go out and do everything on their own, that likely most of them have never had to do once in their life..... and you are also assuming everyone is in a location where veggies and fruit will grow happily and there are plenty of slow animans to hunt lol

like i said before, utopian fantasy

10. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

It was an example, you need to learn non literal arguments lol

Ok hunters and gatherers.... go out and live without society on your own, without guns as you will run out of bullets without society... bow and arrow perhaps... go hunt and gather for food in some desolate area for a few years and tell me how easy/awesome it was, now imagine if you were the only dude around that was willing to do it for free, but you had 100 people who wanted that food.....

Rain water, ok, what if it doesnt fucking rain lol what if you live in a part of arizona and dont have access to water? Dead

You are assuming if this was to happen everyone is in some happy go lucky mind set to go out and do everything on their own, that likely most of them have never had to do once in their life..... and you are also assuming everyone is in a location where veggies and fruit will grow happily and there are plenty of slow animans to hunt lol

like i said before, utopian fantasy[/quote]
    You would willfully let you and your family die?

11. fallacious argument

i never said that. I also do not represent the world. I live in a place where i have water 24/7 due to streams and rivers, tons of wildlife thanks to the mountains, tons of warm season farming land

i wouldnt go out without trying, and my family would definitely pitch in lol

However, thats just like 25 people... and i live in a city with only 100k people

this doesnt represent the masses... Like i said... consider places like Bombay, or Bangkok.... with millions and millions of people Boulder is a terrible place to use as an example because we have a large self sufficient population here lol

Where do you live?

12. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

fallacious argument

i never said that. I also do not represent the world. I live in a place where i have water 24/7 due to streams and rivers, tons of wildlife thanks to the mountains, tons of warm season farming land

i wouldnt go out without trying, and my family would definitely pitch in lol

However, thats just like 25 people... and i live in a city with only 100k people

this doesnt represent the masses... Like i said... consider places like Bombay, or Bangkok.... with millions and millions of people Boulder is a terrible place to use as an example because we have a large self sufficient population here lol

Where do you live?[/quote]

Iowa.

13. well there you go, if you were willing to, you could survive

my main point here is society is the way it is today, computers, machines, all that, because people arent willing to do shit on their own and i feel, personally, many wouldnt stand a chance against the world without society.

What the fuck would NYC do? Thats a LOT of people that all of the sudden need to relocate. LA? Same idea lol

The big cities is where the biggies issues would be... people cant remain in cities that dont have workers in them

14. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

well there you go, if you were willing to, you could survive

my main point here is society is the way it is today, computers, machines, all that, because people arent willing to do shit on their own and i feel, personally, many wouldnt stand a chance against the world without society.

What the fuck would NYC do? Thats a LOT of people that all of the sudden need to relocate. LA? Same idea lol

The big cities is where the biggies issues would be... people cant remain in cities that dont have workers in them[/quote]

I believe your correct. My argument started because someone had said society would crumble and everyone would die. My fault for taken the statement too seriously. I was just argueing the fact the human race wouldn't allow themselves to become extinct, but since that apprently that wasn't what was being said then I have lost the focal point of my argument lol.

15. people would have no motivation to do anything therefore there would be little to no production in the ENTIRE world

16. [quote name='"Mur"']people would have no motivation to do anything therefore there would be little to no production in the ENTIRE world[/quote]

Lol I guess you didn't read the thread huh?

17. My thinking in the original post was this would work if people were able to work from the goodness of their hearts. Like everything would be free, but in order for it all to be free, people would have to work for free, but in return everything would be free for them. See what I'm saying? It's a vision not easily attainable. :cool:

18. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

The scenario is, everything is free all of the sudden

I do understand how much farm land the earth has and i also understand that you clearly still dont understand how many paid for people and resources are used so you can eat a fucking poptart[/quote]

wouldn't that be an awesome fuckin way of testing humanity?

total government collapse around the world, money has no value, yet people would still show up for work.

i highly doubt it would be that way, but it'd be a nice test.

19. #39 fayn2madness, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
    you're dreaming, we would all be slaves if we had no self worth.

There is no such thing as “the public interest” except as the sum of the interests of individual men. And the basic, common interest of all men—all rational men—is freedom. Freedom is the first requirement of “the public interest”—not what men do when they are free, but that they are free. All their achievements rest on that foundation—and cannot exist without it.

The principles of a free, non-coercive social system are the only form of “the public interest.”
    “The Fascist New Frontier,”
    The Ayn Rand Column, 111

20. I've been rolling that thought around in my head for a while. Blows my mind.

Did you guys know that the debt that's been printed since 2008 is so massive that even all the resources in the world combined wouldn't be enough to pay off our national deficit?

When I'm stoned I think of that all the time. It blows my mind that even if we sold everything worth money on the planet, and harvested everything we possibly could, and liquidated it, we'd still be in debt. So why is there money? Why does it exist if we can never pay off the deficit?