If Christians pick and choose only the good parts of the bible to follow

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by feudalism, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Doesn't that mean that they had morals prior to reading it?

2. Yup, that's the point.

Denominational variation in scriptural interpretation gives you some insight into the fallacious nature of arguing that morality is at all derived from some kind of objective source.

3. This is what I was thinking. If you say morals come from god, then on what basis do you reject the moral attitudes that you disagree with?

4. because man wrote the bible as god's inspired word and some of his word was lost in divine-->mortal translation!

and since then, believers have refined their understanding of god's dialect. lol

5. Morals were hard wired and embedded into our very emotions and feelings.

You don't have to read the bible to know what's right and wrong, you were designed to know these in your heart instinctively.

6. but, as a believer in the bible yourself, why does it encourage so much immoral behavior?

7. Then why do different people with different religions all over the world have different standards of morality.

8. It's actually been shown that throughout all cultures throughout history, there is this strong re-occurrence of the golden rule as a set morality code, which it itself is derived from scripture.

9. The golden rule is common sense

EDIT: And also greatly contradicted in the bible

10. so god made us moral, then commanded us to be immoral?

11. I hope your joking about common sense.

12. It's common sense to us because we were designed to have a sense of this objective law, its been embedded into our very ways of thinking.

We can ignore and suppress our feelings and emotions if we wish, which is freewill, but it's still not denying that guilt and remorse are still somewhat present.

13. An idea was had by more than a single person, therefore it was given to humanity by LAWD GAWD

free will is an illusion. if you're going to ignore what people have to say, please stfu

14. Due to our obvious similarities in being human, a common goal of mutual well-being being one of them.

wrong.

15. From your own point of view, how can you actually use the word 'immoral'?

What is the set standard to consider 'right' from 'wrong'?

From my own point of view if God itself is the definition of morality, how could you ever say something God does or commands to be immoral? It's a contradiction within itself..

16. How our actions affect the well-being of others and the society.

17. #18 MaxAmmo, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
    It is GOD's WORD that if your child misbehaves, you were to stone them to death.

Hmm obviously god didnt write that. But actually he did. Why go against his word?

18. from your invention of my point of view, perhaps you are right. but i'm a little more complex than your simple mind imagines.

there is no fucking standard. back when the bible was written, i doubt very much that people had serious problems with the laws written in it. however, these days, we ignore most of them... because standards always change.

if you believe that there is a boogie man in the sky who decides what is moral and immoral, you are more degenerate than almost everyone you will ever judge.

"I will do what the boogie man wants me to do, no matter what he commands, and I will be moral."

brainwashing. also, stop lying about your religion.

19. Boogie man in the sky? Not quite.. I can understand why you have such a warped and twisted perspective of what God is when that's the picture that comes to your mind when you think of it.. lol

So you believe people and societies as a whole overall decide what is good and bad?