If an officer....

Discussion in 'General' started by Rollin Cr00k3d, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Asks for my identification, am I "obligated" to give it to him? I was just sitting in my car and he walked up and started questioning me. Do I have a right to refuse to identify myself?

2. No you have to identify yourself.

3. I'm pretty sure you have to present identification if prompted.

If your keys were in your ignition its a definite yes, because that constitutes you as the driver. It's the same as if you're drunk and sleeping in the car, keys in = DUI..

I know I went off on a tangent, but you get what I mean.

4. Nope, keys weren't in. He rolled past me the. Turned around and hid is car, then snuck up behind me questioning me and shit. Why would I be required to show ID?

5. Its called a police state....

6. [quote name='"Rollin Cr00k3d"']

Nope, keys weren't in. He rolled past me the. Turned around and hid is car, then snuck up behind me questioning me and shit. Why would I be required to show ID?[/quote]

Because as a citizen you need to present identification. This is for several discretionary reasons (police will say you looked underage, or like someone who had a warrant, etc etc)... Even "suspicious activity" constitutes it, which two people sitting in a car can be taken as suspicious..even if you weren't, it would be his word verse yours.

7. Would some bullshit like that hold up in court though?

8. Here in Washington state you don't have to give id unless your driving or committed a crime/being arrested

9. #9 NutsLikeKngKong, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
    you definitely have to give up your name.. if you're out walking you don't need ID.. but since you're in a car it's kinda iffy

but the reality of it is, in court it wouldn't take much for him to just say he saw you turn the car off or some shit

the court is on their side, so yeah

10. I read this somewhere. It said that if you were walking down the street and a cop asked for indentificaion you don't have to give it to him, because your not required to carry one. But if you were in the car, chances are you need a lisence

11. If you were driving though right? I was just sitting there ha